The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Ok, here I go again - building another 'jazz' Tele. Chambered mahogany with 1/4" curly maple cap and one piece AAAA curly maple neck. Decided to go to 'the dark side' on this one and use a humbucker, but since I don't normally like them and don't know much about them, which one should I go with? Of course, price is always a factor with me and things like Lollar Imperials and other boutique PUs are out of my budget - probably $100-$125 is my limit on this one. I've used Vintage Vibe HCC a couple times and they're great and, of course, stock Tele PUs are just fine, too but want something different on this one. Don't like P90s so they're not an option. What's a decent affordable HB'er that's not ridiculously overwound - I don't do distortion - I need clean.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary in bunches of guitars. It serves me well and it's a pretty good match to your description on all fronts.

User Info Menu

So many (endless) options:

Dimarzio PAF 36th Ann
    Seymour Duncan SH 55 (Seth Lover)
    Seymour Duncan Jazz (SH2N) (brighter than regular PAFs)
    Bill Lawrence's Twin Blades (great value handmade pickups): Wilde Bill's Twin Blades

etc. etc.

User Info Menu

Try a Seymour Duncan 59 neck, I think they are great for getting a base line on what the guitar sounds like with a HB.
    AND there's a ton of them out there, with a little luck you can get one for half your budgeted price.

The reason I said "base line" is the SD 59 is not too squeaky clean OR too muddy, not too hot and not too weak. I'm familiar enough with it that it can be used to reveal what a new-to-me guitar does, and from that test I can better decide if a guitar needs a pickup with some other characteristics. I'm not saying the SD 59 is just mundane, or lacks anything -- it does in fact sound great in a neutral flavored way.

John

User Info Menu

TV Jones Classic flltertrons! The best humbucker for people who dont like humbuckers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    What's a decent affordable HB'er that's not ridiculously overwound - I don't do distortion - I need clean.
    Electric Flag

Tele-in-steroids vibe and then some. It doesn't get any better than this one for what you're looking for.

For the record, I own one neck one of those, so I know exactly how they sound.

User Info Menu

Another big DiMarzio 36th Anniversary fan. It is about the perfect jazz humbucker...

User Info Menu

I like the SD Benedetto B3 pickups. Beautiful smooth tone, and not too expensive.

User Info Menu

SD 59 for scoop, Seth Lover for more warmth.

User Info Menu

If you can get your hands on a Gibson MHS, that’s the one I would go with. They aren’t easy to get though.

User Info Menu

Porter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    SD 59 for scoop, Seth Lover for more warmth.
    Agreed on this one. Watch out with the SD59 scoop: it didn’t match my Epiphone Sheraton at all, as that all maple guitar has a scooped sound image on its own..... plane old 57 Classic and cheapo Stew Mac Golden Age sounded much better in that particular guitar (prove to me that acoustic sound does ring thru somehow in the electric sound.....!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Agreed on this one. Watch out with the SD59 scoop: it didn’t match my Epiphone Sheraton at all, as that all maple guitar has a scooped sound image on its own..... plane old 57 Classic and cheapo Stew Mac Golden Age sounded much better in that particular guitar (prove to me that acoustic sound does ring thru somehow in the electric sound.....!).
    Next time that happens, try to swap the magnet of the 59 for an A2. It worked on my ash Tele

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Next time that happens, try to swap the magnet of the 59 for an A2. It worked on my ash Tele
    I’ll remember that, thanks! Would be a real hassle if the pickup is potted? (Which the 59 is not, btw). Where can one buy pickup magnets?

*edit: found these guys: ALNICO 2 Bar Magnet, 2.44" X 0.492" X 0.125", Unpolished

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I’ll remember that, thanks! Would be a real hassle if the pickup is potted? (Which the 59 is not, btw). Where can one buy pickup magnets?
    Now that you mention it, I’ve never done it on a potted pickup but it shouldn’t be. The hassle might be removing the cover.

It’s really simple to do and it can tweak the tone enough to make a difference like in the situations you described.
    http://www.highorderpickups.com/Gear...net%20Swap%202

I (like many others) buy my magnets on eBay but you can find them a bit more expensive from the usual suspects like StewMac.

User Info Menu

¿What about using Fender's own big humbucker?

User Info Menu

Pete Biltoft sells magnets for his pickups. You can buy the magnets separately, any alloy.

User Info Menu

In EU I have bought hb magnets from our dear friend LtKojak. Nothing but good things to say.

I found that 59 with A4 worked in my ash bodied solid body guitar quite beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dhango
    ¿What about using Fender's own big humbucker?
    The Wide Range Humbuckers (WRHB)? The cheap ones aren't good and the good ones aren't cheap.

User Info Menu

I have become a big fan of Bartolini pickups after installing their "Jazz Pair" in my Ibanez AF125 hollow body. An incredible improvement over the "Super 58 Custom" stock pickups. I was considering selling the AF125, but after installing the Bartolini pair it has become one of my favorite guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredC
    I have become a big fan of Bartolini pickups after installing their "Jazz Pair" in my Ibanez AF125 hollow body. An incredible improvement over the "Super 58 Custom" stock pickups. I was considering selling the AF125, but after installing the Bartolini pair it has become one of my favorite guitars.
    Tune name alert: "Grow a Jazz Pair".

User Info Menu

I struggled for something well balanced for my tele. I had a 72 Gibson Ttop I loved so you asked Craig Vineham and he nailed it for me. Been a year now and still in the honeymoon phase. Got a 6070s neck. Great price too!

Humbucker_pickups

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    The Wide Range Humbuckers (WRHB)? The cheap ones aren't good and the good ones aren't cheap.
    Aren't they also a non-standard size?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I struggled for something well balanced for my tele. I had a 72 Gibson Ttop I loved so you asked Craig Vineham and he nailed it for me. Been a year now and still in the honeymoon phase. Got a 6070s neck. Great price too!

Humbucker_pickups
    Their Tele PAF looks real interesting.......might have to check it out a little further

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Aren't they also a non-standard size?
    Yes.