The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I'm having a tough time doing Jazz Archtop Research for that in between category of guitar prices ranging $1,500 to $2,000.

I currently own an Epiphone ES-175 Pro which I bought used. I actually have no complaints with it, to be honest, other than it being a little trebly but I'm ready for a more professional instrument.

The only guitar I have found in that price range is the Godin 5th Avenue Jazz Guitar but I don't know too much about it and whether it will in fact be an upgrade. I like it being Made in Canada, but because I cannot play one I just don't know if it has that smooth mellow sound I'm looking for.

I could go Eastman, but I'm so new to Eastman and they have so many models I'm not certain what the go to Model is.

I'm open to buying used but I just can't seem to find that Holy Grail guitar in that price range.

Honestly, I desperately want a Gibson ES-175 but the prices on the used market have really gone up since Gibson discontinued and I don't feel right owning a $3,000 guitar.

So, thanks everyone for your help. I've owned my Epiphone for two years now, this next one I'm going to have probably for ten years.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What tone are you after? Who are your favorite players? Any hints as to your goals will help with recommendations. The good news is there are lots of great options in your price range.

User Info Menu

Aria II Herb Ellis HE-175s are a hell of a deal under $1,000. Insanely well-made guitar for the price they go for used. 1950s ES-125s in good to excellent condition can be found in your price range all day long.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 07-15-2018 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Godin Jazz are nice guitars. Very well designed and crafted out of high quality materials. I had one. They sound great IMHO both amplified and unamplified. My only complaint is that they are not designed well for upper register access. The neck to body joint is a little on the acoustic guitar meets cut away style guitar. Edges and ledges.

User Info Menu

You could easily be in a used Heritage 575 or basic Eagle model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hanklm37
    Honestly, I desperately want a Gibson ES-175 but the prices on the used market have really gone up since Gibson discontinued and I don't feel right owning a $3,000 guitar.
    Then get the Gibson, then sell the Epi. Prices drift up and down all the time. A mid-80s mahogany one should be doable for around $2500-2800 if you're patient. It'll give you time to save up. But don't sell yourself short- having the guitar of your dreams is such a privilege and a joy.

User Info Menu

Get an ES 125.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

If I really wanted an L-5 in that price range, I would look at the Heritage Eagles already mentioned.

If I really wanted an ES-175 in that price range, I would look at a Heritage H-575, as already mentioned.

Neither Heritage is exactly the same as the Gibson, but they are both really, really fine.

User Info Menu

Is there something in a $1500 to $2000 archtop that your Epi ES-175 does not do for you? I would say a Gibson ES-175 but you are merely paying in the main for that Made in USA Gibson headstock, nitrocellulose and "better laminated tonewoods". A lateral move for too much dosh much as I like Gibson.

I'd suggest a MiJapan Fender D'Aquisto Elite for about $1700 to $1800. Also, an Ibanez GB200, MiJapan for about $2000. Epiphone Broadway Elitist, MiJapan for about $1650 to $2000.

Bill Comins latest MiKorea 16" archtop gets plaudits for about $2150(?) new. Jimmy Bruno thinks it is the bee's knees. GCS-16 | Comins Guitars

Eastman is always a possibility.

A used Gibson ES-175 for $2000 to $2250 holds its value well so you are not likely to lose money on it. Guys asking $3000 are somnabulating in la-la land.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-16-2018 at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I've seen used ES-175's for as little as 1600 dollars, and this is in northern europe. I'm sure if you ask around you can find a good deal. Flea markets can be great. I got an Aria superstrat for $100 and a mint 1982 Boss CE-2 for $30 at a musicians' flea market Just keep your eyes open and ask around, and go to music stores and try out everything they've got. You never know what you might fall in love with.

User Info Menu

Keep your eyes peeled - I just sold a 175 for 2000 so they are out there. With that said, though, since you already have the epiphone 175 maybe something different would be more useful. I always think Eastman is worth checking out. Very high quality, great necks. Which model though depends on what you want. I have a 2005 805ce and what that guitar does is different than, say, one of their models with two pickups routed into the top. The 805ce has a single floating pickup so it is essentially acoustic. This is great for me because I have other choices for loud gigs (well, these days I only bring one guitar out with maybe one other option if it is outdoor and the weather is sketchy) and back when this Eastman was my only guitar it was tough to control on really loud gigs. But given that you have the 175 you could go that route. Just think what body size you like, if you want one or two pickups and if you want floating or routed pickups and look at their models. If you want help then let me know those things and I can list off some models.

Higher end Ibanez is also an excellent choice. A GB10, PM100 etc. or other Japanese made Ibanez will equal a good Gibson IMO and the only difference is poly vs. nitro finish. I have a 2000 PM100 and sold my Gibson 175 because I always picked up the PM100 when I wanted a 175 sound. The level of quality of those high end Ibanez (consistently those made in Japan, which makes searching easy but some of the ones made out of Japan on the higher end of the price point like their Contemporary Archtop series) are excellent guitars. I have one Gibson, an L5, and that is the guitar I play the most but I also have three made in Japan Ibanezes (a ‘77 2630 Artist, 2000 PM100 and ‘97 af207, all of which I would recommend) and chose them each over Gibsons. When you find a good Gibson it is great but there are dogs out there. I’m sure there are Ibanez dogs too but past a certain price point I haven’t encountered them. It’s one of the main brands I feel safe ordering online because they are so consistent. Gibson I would be wary of ordering online and I’d really need to play it and inspect it first.

One other question - who do you like listening to? The sound you are going after could help us with recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

There's a Painter archtop on Reverb for under $2,000 which I would seriously look at if I was you.

User Info Menu

Used Ibanez MIJ GB10 are worth investigating in that price range. Does not sound very 175ish but Mr. Benson doesn’t seem to mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    There's a Painter archtop on Reverb for under $2,000 which I would seriously look at if I was you.
    I would second (and third) this recommendation. I owned a sister to this guitar, another Painter P-175, and it was a fantastic instrument.

User Info Menu

If you don´t want to spend the money for a ES175 and if there is no need for the bridge PU, go for a ES165 Herb Ellis...

User Info Menu

As so many already said, go used .. besides a proper Gibson archtop .. you can get a highend Ibanez for well under your budget

I've picked up the two old Metheny models (the PM100 and PM120) for 1500$ each here in Scandinavia and our prices usually are higher then in the US.

Jazz guitars between alt=,500 and ,000-w148eg-jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies. The ones I really liked were the Ibanez Pat Metheny which I'm able to see on Reverb go for $1,700.

Also, just something I'm starting to pick up on: Europeans may be surprised to know it just might be the case that Guitars here in America are starting to cost more than in Europe. The old times of America being less expensive then Europe may be over. That' something to consider.

Also, in looking up Eastman dealers I did find this store that is about three hours away from me in California.

LA Guitar Sales

They seem to have quite a collection of archtops, which are generally hard to find for me. So, that's another direction to take. Thanks everyone.

User Info Menu

The PM100 has one of the best if not the best necks of any guitar I’ve played. It is so easy to play and sounds great - similar to a 175 but a little different. Really top notch and I think you can’t go wrong with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This video almost feels like it was made for me. I don't think I'm going to buy anything to be honest.

For my ears C sounds the best A sounds the second best and B Sounds the third best.

This video is comparing the Ibanez PM 100 with Epiphone Premium 175 and a surprise guitar.

Here's a follow up question that I'll ask here so as not to start a new thread.

1) Could I replace the pickups and get a better sound?
    2) How about if I change the Caps?

Thanks

User Info Menu

You have a fine laminate guitar.

I'd look at something different, solid wood.

Or a real 175, as theyre about to shoot up in price as Gibson''s never going to make them again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Such a fine post!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Such a fine post!
    I gotta say after the ES-125 I was shopping yesterday,
    this looks like a super-fine guitar buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanklm37
    I'm having a tough time doing Jazz Archtop Research for that in between category of guitar prices ranging $1,500 to $2,000.

I currently own an Epiphone ES-175 Pro which I bought used. I actually have no complaints with it, to be honest, other than it being a little trebly but I'm ready for a more professional instrument.

The only guitar I have found in that price range is the Godin 5th Avenue Jazz Guitar but I don't know too much about it and whether it will in fact be an upgrade. I like it being Made in Canada, but because I cannot play one I just don't know if it has that smooth mellow sound I'm looking for.

I could go Eastman, but I'm so new to Eastman and they have so many models I'm not certain what the go to Model is.

I'm open to buying used but I just can't seem to find that Holy Grail guitar in that price range.

So, thanks everyone for your help. I've owned my Epiphone for two years now, this next one I'm going to have probably for ten years.
    If you like vintage ES-175 sound check out this Eastman T49/V model. I tried this very guitar a few weeks back. Sweet sound and I would have bought it but I didn’t want a 24.75” scale. Is a laminated top, but really well made and light weight.
    Bernunzio Uptown Music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk