The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Happy summer you all! I was able to snap a pic of this Modern this morning and thought I'd share with you all! What do you all think of these Moderns?----davida@chicagomusicexchange.com
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Custom Shop Modern Archtop Argentine Gray!-apc_0249-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It is a nice looking guitar and I wish Gibson well with the new model. As for me, I'll stick with the ES-175. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Musi Exchange David
    Happy summer you all! I was able to snap a pic of this Modern this morning and thought I'd share with you all! What do you all think of these Moderns?----davida@chicagomusicexchange.com
    As I've said before, I love the basic concept, but would change a few superficial cosmetics.

User Info Menu

Looks great. It would have been good if it had been more affordable. If part of the rationale was to make it attractive to current non-users of archtops, $5k feels steep.

User Info Menu

Crazy that Gibson is making that thing and not the 175. Sorry that Modern doesn't float my boat. Gibson is a lot like Harley Davidson. IMO a Gibson must look like a Gibson and a Harley must look like a Harley or it will not sell.
    The return of the L5 Studio was a great idea but not in Army Green or Copper. VSB L5 Studio's would have flown off the shelves.
    Gibson already has the best models in the world. They don't need to keep reinventing the wheel. Bring back some of the classics like the ES350 and ES350T or a model like Joe Pass' custom 1992 Gibson. I can't believe they stopped making the 175. The most iconic jazz guitar ever. HJ is smoking some good stuff apparently.

User Info Menu

This guitar looks great... for an asian-made one.

Seriously, that's the Gibson model that look the most like a Chibson. Starting with the inlays, copy of what Terada did with their rebranded models El Torres and Emperador in the late '70s, early '80s.

TBH, I actually like it, but it's not worth 5K.

2.2K at most, with hard case and COA.

User Info Menu

Vinny, You said it, bro.

As cool as VSB would be, I don't know that a VSB L-5 Studio would work. There may be too much labor involved with a burst finish to keep it simple and lower priced, which is what the Studio version is all about. Plain black, white, red, matte finish, whatever, would be okay, but, I agree, army green? Copper?

User Info Menu

As much as I hate to say it, Ibanez's newer Contemporary Archtop series hits the mark better for me, personally.

User Info Menu

There's several design choices this guitar that would earn you a "redo" in my digital art 1 class.

I like the idea of it, but so much misses the boat. It's another fail for Gibson, imho...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Musi Exchange David
    Nice design, but not enough 'bang for my buck' at $5k. There are way too many better options available at that price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Crazy that Gibson is making that thing and not the 175.
    I'm guessing that there are far to many 175s in circulation and they just don't sell all that well brand new

User Info Menu

It's looks kinda like an early feotal development stage of a proper 175.

The point on the proto-Florentine cutaway hasn't grown to it's full length.

The F-holes haven't yet developed into their beautifully detailed violin style shape.

On the plus side, I don't hate the color (yellow=grey?) and the tail piece is proper.

I'm a little surprised they didn't morph the headstock into some kind of blob . . .

But seriously, If it's a fine player, I'd . . .

probably just keep my 175.

User Info Menu

For that kind of price, I'd prefer a Sadowsky
    or a luthier guitar made exactly to your specs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I'm guessing that there are far to many 175s in circulation and they just don't sell all that well brand new

Like the man said: " There you go making sense again ! "

User Info Menu

This guitar does absolutley nothing for me at all. Looks bad and just cannot get past the dull looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Looks wise, not my thing. David, why don,t YOU try it and tell us what you think about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    Looks wise, not my thing. David, why don,t YOU try it and tell us what you think about it.
    Pssst... sales folk NEVER have an ugly baby :-) Everything that was said here is pretty much spot on, except Pepe's $2,200 price point, I think he was being generous. Let's see how long it takes to sell all 25 units.

User Info Menu

I've seen better bursts on guitars labeled "Johnson" and "Carol Robelli."

User Info Menu

Lol tough crowd!

I actually like the design and I do find it more modern. Like a Reverend guitar. But like I said, the price isn't there.

User Info Menu

I don't get the point of making a shallow body, small width, electric guitar with two big set pickups and having it be fully carved solid wood (including back and sides). Isn't L4 a lesson to be learned? Even though L4 had deeper body it never really caught on, especially compared to it's laminate cousin.
    I think it would have made more sense to save some resources and make a cheaper laminate version especially given that it's a "modern" design, not a vintage reissue type thing.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 07-14-2018 at 01:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't like the headstock which looks like an early Chinese counterfeiters' idea of a Gibson headstock. I like the solid colour burgundy version of it. Solid colours would serve it well.

It reminds me of my PRS JA-15 that I got from Jack Zucker. I prefer the looks of the PRS JA-15. Maybe a Bruce Kunkel Shark Gill f-hole would give it pizzazz but this doesn't do it. (What am I saying? The sound holes are a simplified version of the Kunkel Shark Gills.) The wooden bridge is cocked at an odd angle and looks too long. Just go with a fixed mount two post ABR-1 bridge. The tailpiece does not do it for me either.

Give me the L5 Studio for the same price. Or make a 15" L5 Signature Studio for the same price. Those are the guitars people want.

I do not mind the Army Green L5 Studio. If I can find it used for $2800 to $3000 I'd buy it. And plaster waterslide decals all over it.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-13-2018 at 09:29 PM.

User Info Menu

This sure is a tough crowd. But who am I to talk. An ES-335 is too modern a guitar for me. The most modern guitar I play is a Fender Stratocaster. Designed in 1954. Hell, I wasn't designed until 1957.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    As I've said before, I love the basic concept, but would change a few superficial cosmetics.
    I agree, it's trying too hard to be somebody else (D'Angelico).

Gibson should lead and let the others follow, as usual. Not the other way around.

User Info Menu

I’ve said it before and I don’t like it. I think the concept is good but they failed in the execution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I like the styling. A couple of nitpicks - the location/shape of the position markers and the shape of the finger rest. Also, I have no experience with the fingerboard material "richlite", but it just sounds cheap. Hopefully it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Like others have noted, $4,900 is probably too expensive to make it competitive with the quality of instruments available at that price point.