The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Everything that was said here is pretty much spot on, except Pepe's $2,200 price point, I think he was being generous
    Well, I guess despite everybody and everything, I'm still indoctrinated by the weight of the brand, and the fact that I grew up as a player with a Gibson? Don't hold it against me, willya?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gibson product development:

"Ok guys, lets use the 100 year old trapeze tailpiece design for the modern archtop...and on the L5 we're going with traditional cartridge brass color or army green."

You can't make this stuff up, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Painter
    Gibson product development:

"Ok guys, lets use the 100 year old trapeze tailpiece design for the modern archtop...and on the L5 we're going with traditional cartridge brass color or army green."

You can't make this stuff up, lol
    Àfter that traditional sunburst L5 has been sitting in the shop for 3 years without being sold you can easily hear Gibson go .. ok, boys shall we discontinue the L5 or try one last army green hail mary to see it that sells?

(Yeah .. I repeat myself )

User Info Menu

Let me speak directly to the OP since he was so gracious to so many of our members during his sales:
    Sir, thank you for all you did for "our guys" with these "used/floor model" blowouts... Many of the guys here that have voiced complaints about this new "custom shop" model benefitted many times by your deals...

All that being said it's hard for me to believe Gibson dropped the ES175 and yet call this thing a Custom Shop guitar... I find it so lacking in so many ways. I could go on but really so many others already have.

Again OP, thank you for what you did for our guys here.

BigMike
    River Forest, Illinois

User Info Menu

A decent looking tailpiece, and some (Gibsonish) fret markers would do SO much to bring this model into the Gibson arena. I don't object to its looks on the whole, it's kinda cool, but they should have finished it!
    Now the price ????????? Any floor models yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I don't like the headstock which looks like an early Chinese counterfeiters' idea of a Gibson headstock.
    I hadn't noticed!

I looks like my Peerless'

User Info Menu

I have less of an issue with the aesthetics and more of an issue with the price considering that this is just a routed out piece of mahogany.

User Info Menu

I think it looks cool and it would be fun to play one and see how it feels and sounds.

Of course it's too expensive and, of course, it's not traditional. But the concept seems OK to me.

User Info Menu

I like the looks of it! I think it's "modern" in that 60's sorta way. I'd even be willing to give the carved out mahogany back a ride.

Way too expensive for me. If it was more around the 2k price point I'd be more tempted to take a chance on it...

User Info Menu

i think you'll be letting us know when this thing gets blown out at a fraction of the price.

as an argentine of sorts, i wanted to say that we aren't grey like that. i'm not sure where that came from. the finish was gone for decades, though. i wonder why. it might be cool if they did a better job with it.

User Info Menu

Poor Gibson. So lost in their ways that their truest inspiration these days comes from others who have achieved success through originality. These are top down designs: Some business exec issues a mandate "Make something original and sexy or we're all sunk" and the guys in the design department say "How are the Japanese doing it?"
    Turning Japanese, they're turning Japanese. I really think so.

Y know, Gibson is coming out with new models, but there are some really great ideas and models they only had in the catalogues for a short amount of time. Howard Roberts Fusion model(s), 336, mahogany L-4... and all these guitars had classic qualities, yet they are all considered unworthy for production.
    So do you think the a target demographic here is collectors who don't want to be caught without the "collect all in the series" new boy on the block?
    I'm not in the brain trust at Gibson, but I wonder what they're thinking.

David
    Last edited by TH; 07-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Tal_175;883800]I don't get the point of making a shallow body, small width, electric guitar with two big set pickups and having it be fully carved solid wood (including back and sides).]

Check out the B&G Little Sister & Crossroads models - $4K & $1.4K respectively. Specs noted above and selling like hotcakes.

AKA

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=AKA;884064]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I don't get the point of making a shallow body, small width, electric guitar with two big set pickups and having it be fully carved solid wood (including back and sides).]

Check out the B&G Little Sister & Crossroads models - $4K & $1.4K respectively. Specs noted above and selling like hotcakes.

AKA
    The Little Sister has always reminded me of the Gibson BluesHawk which can be found for under $1000 all day long.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=AKA;884064]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I don't get the point of making a shallow body, small width, electric guitar with two big set pickups and having it be fully carved solid wood (including back and sides).]

AKA
    It looks like these models are flat tops from the pictures, not carved though. I think the cost difference between laminate and solid flattop is much smaller compared to solid carved vs laminate archtops given similar solid wood quality between flat top and archtop.

User Info Menu

What does it sound like?
    What does it play like?

User Info Menu

While I agree a few things would improve the looks,like at least a better tail piece and head stock execution. Especially for the asking price. Would love to try it before I made a judgment. The idea is moving in the right direction and probably go over in Japan and Europe way before here in the U.S.A.

The Parker Fly while a great guitar and an improvement on the solid body design, still hasn't caught on in great numbers.Guitarists are incredibly conservative lot overall. We still are using 1950's technology and designs for the most part. It seems as though many of the original designs were correct to begin with.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ThatRhythmMan;884072]
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA

The Little Sister has always reminded me of the Gibson BluesHawk which can be found for under $1000 all day long.

Yes. They do have a similar shape.

User Info Menu

The new guitar seems to draw some design cues from the Johnny A guitar (which is next to it on the Gibson page on the web).

Gibson Custom Shop Modern Archtop Argentine Gray!-gibson-specs-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The new guitar seems to draw some design cues from the Johnny A guitar (which is next to it on the Gibson page on the web).

Gibson Custom Shop Modern Archtop Argentine Gray!-gibson-specs-jpg
    I see the basic body size-resemblance...but the price point between the MIC Epi JA and Gibby Modern Archtop are light years apart.

The Custom Shop JA is $6-$7k.

Crazy stuff.