The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi guys, I'm in somewhat of a dilemma now.

Am very new to jazz, and very new to this forum. Trying to buy a hollow body jazz box guitar, and during my shopping found a particular model that I like, at a fantastic price.

The only deliberation I'm having now - purely superficial - is that it's white, and I don't know why, but visually white just doesn't seem to fit the jazz look.

Anyone knows why it seems like all jazz players only play hollow bodies in natural, sunburst, and black finishes? Colors of Archtop Guitars

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only white guitars I've ever liked have been Strats. Probably the Hendrix connection.

As far as why, I would assume that natural and burst have been around for a long time. Probably just tradition. Black always works. I've also seen a fair number of jazz guys with (usually burgandy-ish) red guitars.

Personally, my favorite guitars are natural wood, maybe with a bit of tint. I just think good wood is attractive enough to stand on its own.

User Info Menu

Well I guess it's not jazz , but he was a pretty "jazzy" guy.

Colors of Archtop Guitars-les-paul-mary-ford-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Gretch makes some nice guitars with really comfortable necks. I just saw one painted in red and white. A pretty guitar that would be nice to play jazz on. Different but yeah, I can see it working.
    One reason I don't like white personally, Gibson did have a history with coloured lacquers that showed the grain, and they also had a history of using opaque finishes on instruments that didn't have grain that was remarkable in any way. I always thought of opaque finishes as "cover up" colours, and I do love natural figure in a guitar.

As far as whether they're inherently appealing or not, an instrument is at the least, a reflection on what you as a person likes, and at the best, an inspiration for what and how you play.

Go for it!

David

User Info Menu

This one's white, and kinda jazzy:

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    This one's white, and kinda jazzy:

Cool looking one! If this was the white I'd have no qualms about it.. The one I'm looking at is pure white.. It has almost zero vintage feel at all..

I'm inspired by the Joe Pass era, to pick up jazz. Just in case anyone's wondering what's my problem with a guitar that actually looks like it's made in recent years haha

User Info Menu

There are no jazz police, play the guitar you like, no matter the color. Ed Bickert, one of the great masters of jazz guitar, played a white tele. Besides, you may not really want people to mistake you for a jazz musician.

User Info Menu

I once briefly owned a 60s Gibson SG Custom in white. It looked very sharp with the gold hardware. The finish had, of course, oxidized to the ivory/off-white that white Gibsons become--almost a light, yellowish-white, but not quite. It was both pretty and great sounding.

I really liked the way it played and sounded for jazz. (I was a university student at that point and just starting to become a cork-sniffing, jazz is better than rock, musician.)

Alas, I traded that guitar away. Sorely wish I still had it.

User Info Menu

I'd certainly have no problem with white but then my current guitar is a metallic blue (not quite Lake Placid but close) and for a couple years I played restaurant gigs on a gun metal grey metallic Ibanez solid body 7-string with a pointy peg head.

User Info Menu

White works well with stage lighting, FWIW.

User Info Menu

You can use any color as long as you like.
    The light colors give the impression that the instrument is larger and darker the opposite. Ibanez has recently launched a red archtop and Pat Metheny's cheaper model is yellow.
    Tradition is natural and sunburst, but there is no rule.It's a personal taste.

User Info Menu

I am not fond of solid colour for archtops preferring natural and burst showing the wood.
    Its a matter of taste however and being ready to wait longer for a buyer should you wish to sell it later on...

User Info Menu

White makes you stand out on stage, so go for it.

User Info Menu

White guitars are fine, up until Labor Day.

John

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Fibonacci are on the case.........................

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    There are no jazz police.......
    Wasn’t that Andy Summers’ band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    There are no jazz police
    Oh yeah?

User Info Menu

I'd love an arctic white L5 with gold hardware.

User Info Menu

I'm game, bring them on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    White guitars are fine, up until Labor Day.

John
    Hopefully no one will interpret this in a wrong way, but going "Full Cleveland" (white belt and white shoes) with a white guitar could be very fashion forward. I would add a pair of white frame sunglasses to the ensemble myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Hopefully no one will interpret this in a wrong way, but going "Full Cleveland" (white belt and white shoes) with a white guitar could be very fashion forward. I would add a pair of white frame sunglasses to the ensemble myself.
    I
    I'd pay good money to see that.

John

It's done guys.. Pics to come soon (once the guitar flies halfway round the world to me) Colors of Archtop GuitarsColors of Archtop Guitars