The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

I am doing it....finally.... after too many substitutions and settlements. I want to purchase a new 2018 L-5.
    Can anyone give me their advice on whom to purchase from. Interestingly, Sweetwater will not give the same
    45 day return policy as they would for a cheaper Les Paul or any other guitar for that matter. For this price, Im sure that all of you would agree that the appearance and construction should be perfect. I want to be able to not only visually inspect but play as well....not just purchase from pictures. Any help or advise...would really appreciate your info here.

Mickey

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are there 2018 L5 models for sale? We heard rumors last year that production would stop. I'm glad to hear it if there are new ones being made.

Yes as far as I know....all the online dealers say they can order one for me.

User Info Menu

I could not imagine a world where production of this specific iconic jazz guitar would stop.

User Info Menu

?Gibson is in a real state of flux...

There are likely quite a few dealers with NOS (new old stock) L5's from the last couple of years in their inventory. An L5 is such a special guitar it behooves you to find a shop, go play it and decide if it really rocks your world. I take a lot of chances buying guitars online only, but maybe I'm a little more "seasoned", thick skinned if you will. There's nothing like an L5 and you should not rush into buying one... Find a good shop and make it your business to go visit them and play what hopefully becomes a lifetime friend.

I'd be real reluctant to order an L5 from Gibson right now... just too much bs going on. Sort of like what Heritage went through...

Big

User Info Menu

I agree w/ Big Mike. I would advise against being the first on your block to have a 2018. You ( and maybe even your dealer ) may find out the hard way they've changed terms with their dealers, regarding deposits, warranties, refusals, cancellations etc etc.
    And if a dealer has a new old stock one on the shelf, he'd have an incentive to make it go away. (hopefully ).

Worst case, at least you get to play it.

Either way good luck !

User Info Menu

Wildwood Guitars and The Music Zoo seem to get more attractive ones. Musician's Friend and Guitar Center seem to get ones with so-so figuring. I have not bought from Music Zoo but have purchased a number of guitars from Wildwood.

Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston does well in this regard too, and The Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney TX. There was a dealer who posted a nice LeGrande here recently (Chicago based?). It had perfect book matched flame maple on back.

You know the guitar is great. I would only accept the best looking figuring, to boot. That is the state of the market and competition today and we know that Gibson can do it, so I would insist on it. These are not the Norlin years.

User Info Menu

According to esteemed forum member Vinny, the Gibson luthiers who built the hand carved archtops were all laid off. That means that a new L-5 is probably going to be made by the guys in Nashville who build the Custom Shop Les Pauls. While these guys certainly have the requisite experience to carve a guitar top and have access to the best woods, they may not make as fine tuned an archtop as Gibson made in prior years.

Plus with the bankruptcy/change of ownership issues ongoing, warranty claims may be problematic (and they have never been easy in any case).

I would think long and hard before opting for a 2018 archtop from Gibson. I would either wait for the dust to settle or find a used one that ticks all the boxes (with the exception of being new, if that is an important box).

User Info Menu

The fact that Gibson stopped making the ES175 that has been in constant production since 1949 and there most iconic jazz box should be a warning sign. The current models being made by Gibson are guitars that require little skill to make as most of the manufacturing is automated and what needs to be done by hand can be done by there semi skilled labor force.
    Like BigMike said the new L5's available right now are not 2018 models. I would call the Crimson Shop and ask to speak to James Culberson. If they say he is no longer there don't even think about a new L5 right now.
    If you are on the west coast I can set you up with a great L5. I will no longer ship L5's though.
    The Music Zoo and Wildwood are both great dealers that will wiggle on the price with a full money back guarantee and no shipping back charges if it is a turd. Chicago Music Exchange is another stand up Gibson dealer. MF and Sweetwater you are going to pay the $10K full price.
    If you are on the east coast pm QAman. He might be able to set you up with a fine L5 also.

User Info Menu

I must admit, if ever I were to buy an L5 I would want to be able to play the instrument before buying, unless returns were possible. Given the current situation at Gibson I would more probably go for a proven second hand guitar that has been played in. Just my point of view.

User Info Menu

I was in the exact same position. I wasn’t happy with the response from Sweetwater for the reasons mentioned. Luckily, The Music Zoo had a mint condition L5 that is signed by Jim Hutchins. I’m very happy.

Good of luck with whatever path you choose! The guitar is worth the trouble.

User Info Menu

I would not let Gibson hold my money, right now. They are bankrupt. The biggest creditors are going to get paid. Small fry are going to just get smiled at.

The advice above about purchasing a new old stock L-5CES is very, very sage, at this point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I would not let Gibson hold my money, right now. They are bankrupt. The biggest creditors are going to get paid. Small fry are going to just get smiled at.

The advice above about purchasing a new old stock L-5CES is very, very sage, at this point.
    Gibson (so far) does not deal direct. You have to purchase a guitar through a dealer. If Gibson disappears, you would still have rights for your purchase price/deposit against that dealer. So Greentone's scenario about being the small fry who get wiped out in the Gibson BK proceedings is not quite applicable. Unless Gibson's demise causes your dealer to also go BK. Hmmm....probably not a great idea to order a Custom made Gibson from anyone at the present time indeed.

User Info Menu

For the price of a newish one you can snag a 70's model.
    I'd rather have old wood than new, but I think I'm in the minority here.
    But if ya gotta get a newer one I'd heed some of the advice posted above.

User Info Menu

The only major challenge that I see is that the market seems to be drying up. When I started looking, there were plenty of L5's available, both "old" and newer. Now, there don't seem to be a lot of newer models without issues. Wildwood has a brand-new one that I've been tempted to snag, but it is all acoustic.

User Info Menu

Thomann i Germany has a couple in stock - both CES and WesMo.

User Info Menu

You should look for an unsold or mint 2014-17 model from a reputable online retailer that offers a trial period, which should be any of them. I purchased a brand new '16 L-5 WesMo this way a few months back. It's a perfect example of what it's supposed to be, and signed by James Culberson.

Your timing is not great, in that the small supply of these instruments at reasonable prices ($5k - $8k) seems to have dried up a bit, perhaps related to Gibson's recently publicized financial quandary. But be patient and haunt Reverb.com plus some of the other retailers that don't post there.

Try this search:
    "gibson l-5" made in 2010-2019 | Reverb

It's worth your patience and persistence, believe me. Otherwise you'll literally pay twice what you can sell that guitar for immediately after driving it off the lot (not that you'll want to, but it's still worth pointing out). Plus there may be a future stigma about an L-5 made during this period.
    Last edited by rpguitar; 07-11-2018 at 06:28 AM.

my thanks for all your great advice. Several of you mentioned looking for a relatively new old stock guitar.
    Others said be patient and look around.....all great advice.....my problem is I just had cancer surgery a week ago.
    I really can't afford to be too patient. I will contact the retailers mentioned above, but maybe someone could recommend a dealership somewhere in the central North Carolina area. I prefer to try out guitars in the privacy of my own home but really would like to make this purchase asap. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. NOS sounds great if I can find one but I'm not too hopeful....really like one not previously owned because i am so meticulous with my instruments.

Mickey

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear of your health challenges and truly I wish you well. This being said, if time is of the essence, then ordering a brand new one may itself be fraught with unknowns from a time perspective. Who knows how long til Gibson is able to deliver?

At least with a trial period, you pay with your credit card, and a box shows up at your door. You unpack it carefully and try the instrument for a few days - whatever the allotted period is. Then you either keep it, or pack it back up and drop it off at the nearest FedEx/UPS store. You may have to pay for return shipping, but that's the cost of this convenience, and I consider it reasonable.

There are only a couple of recent L-5 guitars at U.S. dealers on Reverb at this time. There are several outside the U.S. but that's not helpful. I assume you are able to peruse what's there so I won't post individual links.

Good luck, maybe someone will locate a suitable guitar close to you. They are not exactly commonplace though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    There was a dealer who posted a nice LeGrande here recently (Chicago based?). It had perfect book matched flame maple on back.
    You may be referring to the post by David at Chicago Music Exchange:

Gibson Custom LeGrand Vintage Sunburst

So Reverb has one but it is advertised for full list price....$10,599.00. Will they dicker with you??? how much would a "reasonable" offer be?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The fact that Gibson stopped making the ES175 that has been in constant production since 1949 and there most iconic jazz box should be a warning sign. The current models being made by Gibson are guitars that require little skill to make as most of the manufacturing is automated and what needs to be done by hand can be done by there semi skilled labor force.
    Like BigMike said the new L5's available right now are not 2018 models. I would call the Crimson Shop and ask to speak to James Culberson. If they say he is no longer there don't even think about a new L5 right now.
    If you are on the west coast I can set you up with a great L5. I will no longer ship L5's though.
    The Music Zoo and Wildwood are both great dealers that will wiggle on the price with a full money back guarantee and no shipping back charges if it is a turd. Chicago Music Exchange is another stand up Gibson dealer. MF and Sweetwater you are going to pay the $10K full price.
    If you are on the east coast pm QAman. He might be able to set you up with a fine L5 also.

Can you be more specific on the East Coast dealer's name???

User Info Menu

Are you locked into a certain color?

Sort of.....prefer Sunburst or Sunsetburst...

User Info Menu

Another viable option is a brand new Campellone. He has a 4 month wait. His guitars are the closest looking to a L5 built to your exact specs. Top notch quality and much cheaper than a new L5. Check out my Campellone thread here and see the one he is making for me. Give his website a look see too. Great guy and fantastic Archtop maker.