The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

It was our wedding anniversary last thursday and we had initially planned to spend the evening at a nice restaurant when on short notice I was informed that a string band that we both are friends with and that we have a special relationship with is playing out in the country that night at an old monastery and outdoors to boot.
    At first my wife didn't feel like going what with the recent passing of her mother but she changed her mind so we went and had a great night out. The atmosphere out in the garden there was great (the indoors place is very nice, too ).

Before the show and during intermission I had a chance to talk to the guitarplayer of the band - a fine picker who also always has some fine guitars in his arsenal. He told me that due to place constraints he'd be selling two Gibson acoustics, an L1 and a Southern Jumbo.

My friend and co-guitarist in our classic rock band had been looking for a good high end acoustic for some time and the Southern Jumbo model had really sparked his interest. The price was great and right away I phoned him and the two talked about some details.

The L1 - a model that I had always admired was on sale for an unbelievable low price and I couldn't get it off my mind....

The only thing that I needed more than another guitar would've been a hole in my kneecap but I kept thinking about it - an offer that was hard to refuse, the money was there and this looked like a one-off chance to pick up a great instrument.

Well, long story short: sunday afternoon we drove down to the guy's place and sampled both guitars - swapped them around, had the seller play us some so we could hear how they sound from the front etc.

We both went home with a new guitar each. I had to do a bit of cleaning and shining up - a new set of .012 - .052 strings and that thing is like brand new - nary a scratch nor a dent in the frets, although it's already 15 years old. Looks like brandnew!

So here it is, my Gibson L1 Robert Johnson model: sorry, pic doesn't embed....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gibson Robert Johnson L1-dsci0866-jpg

Worked this time....

User Info Menu

That's a real beauty and I know you will do it justice. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Soooo cool. How does it sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Soooo cool. How does it sound?
    Thanks both of you.

It's amazingly loud for a small box like that. Excellent balanced tone, good bass, too. Not in the ballpark of a larger guitar, mind you. Makes a great companion and alternative to my AJ reissue. Love it already.

Now my guitar playing time has to be split between practicing my (non-existant) jazz chops and dusting off the fingerpicking arrangements (luckily they have only gathered dust and are still somewhere imprinted into my muscle meory....)

User Info Menu

That's a NICE guitar. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Sweet!

User Info Menu

Thanks Greentone and offhand!

User Info Menu

I passed on one of these, used at a good price, years ago.

What was I thinking?!

Congratulations on a lovely guitar.

User Info Menu

beautiful!!! that's a classic..i played one in a shop and it was breathtaking!!...had real mojo!!

congrats & enjoy

and post something with it soon

cheers

ps- and good example of how doing something nice for a friend can pay off for you as well!!! haha

User Info Menu

Thanks rabbit and neatomic!

User Info Menu

Simply gorgeous! I came down with a bad case of GAS this weekend for a small-bodied flattop and this making it worse!

User Info Menu

Super cool guitar! I love me a nice Gibson Flat top !!!!

User Info Menu

Isn't the L1 an archtop?

User Info Menu

Small body flat top but with long, 25-1/2" scale neck. LG1 that Robert Johnson played. Originals are very expensive. My buddy had one, but wouldn't gig with it.

User Info Menu

One of the nicest 12 fret guitars made.

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody! It's a great guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp145
    Isn't the L1 an archtop?
    The first incarnation was - yes. Changed to flat top in 1926.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Small body flat top but with long, 25-1/2" scale neck. LG1 that Robert Johnson played. Originals are very expensive. My buddy had one, but wouldn't gig with it.
    Sorry to correct you. Actual scale is 25" and it's an L1. LG1 is a different instrument that came later - in the fifties and sixties.

User Info Menu

Wonderful guitar. I tried one in a shop in Edinburgh once, and I started believing Gibson could still make great guitars. Have fun with it, Tommo!

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot, Rob and fingers crossed that you'll get your finger pain problem sorted out asap with a positive outcome!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Have enough on my practice schedule what with jazz guitar, dusting off the fingerpicking arrangements, spanish, vestapol and dropped D along with standard tuning to start on another tuning but I will definitely check them out! Thanks!

User Info Menu

TOMMO, you are correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    TOMMO, you are correct.
    No problem....

Saw Johnny Shines in the seventies with a Gibson LG and he sure made it sound good.