The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I posted this same question over on The Gear Page forum, so forgive me for those of you who subscribe to both. I have an American Standard Tele that I use occasionally in the jazz ensemble I play with - especially when the weather is bad and I don't want to drag along one of my jazz boxes. I usually string it with either 12 gauge Thomastik flatwounds or Bebops and I currently have it wired with a 4-way switch so I can run the PUPs in series for a "thicker" tone. I'm thinking about putting a humbucker in the neck position for even more versatility. It's already routed for a HB and I have a HB pickguard that I can install. My first choice is the Lollar Charlie Christian (Humbucker size), and I might get one down the road; but for now, I have both a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover and a Seymour Duncan Jazz so I'll use one of them. What's your vote for comping and chord melody playing through my BF Deluxe, the Seth Lover or the Jazz? I don't mind losing the classic Tele sound. I have another stock Tele for that.

Thanks much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite Humbucker is the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF. I’ve tried it in a tele though, and I’m not sure a full range kind of PAF works that well in a Telecaster. I have one that I made that is a complete hollow telecaster shape, but 2 inches thick with a maple neck, and it sounds cool with that PU, but my experience with a regular tele is that the PAFs sound muddy. Just my opinion. Not floating any absolutes.
    Bill

User Info Menu

Sorry, the SD Jazz is misnamed. Tried that too, and it’s really too bright. Seth Lovers of the two.
    Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socalbill
    Sorry, the SD Jazz is misnamed. Tried that too, and it’s really too bright. Seth Lovers of the two.
    Bill
    I've heard that too about the Jazz. I put a Seth Lover in the neck position of an Ibanez "Lawsuit" ES 175 and it sounded great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socalbill
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    I've heard that too about the Jazz. I put a Seth Lover in the neck position of an Ibanez "Lawsuit" ES 175 and it sounded great!
    Yup. A great pickup but nothing Jazz about it. If you swap the magnet for an A2 though, it becomes an A2Pro and then you’re in business.

The SD Seth Lover is a terrific pickup, I think you’ll like it.

Bear in mind that you’ll need 500k pots if you don’t yet or you miss a fair bit of articulation.

Edit: in my jazz tele I have a SD 59 with an A2 magnet. More details about how I got there in this thread SD Antiquity Humbucker vs Alnico II Pro Neck humbucker for Jazz in a Tele
    Last edited by blille; 07-07-2018 at 01:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I cannot fault the Fralin P-92 that I have in my Tele partscaster. Check out the YouTube videos for them. Chris Whiteman does a nice demo. He is also a member here FWIW.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of Seth Lovers. I have them in 2 of my guitars. But my Tele has a Bartolini PBF in the neck. I'm sure an SL would work there too.

User Info Menu

If you already have a HB rout maybe consider a VintageVibe CC, if you must go humbucker avoid the SD (not for)Jazz, the SD '59 is not bad and almost everyone agrees on the SD seth lover, the VintageVibe HB is excellent, competitively priced and you can choose your magnets.
    Last edited by ugarte; 07-08-2018 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Seth Lover would most likely be just right. Not so on the Jazz, as others have noted.

User Info Menu

Seymour made two p'ups: one neck designed for a Country/Nashville session picker called James Milner or JM. The other was made for Jeff Beck, or JB.

As he couldn't afford the copyright deposit, they were just called JM, translated as "Jazz Model" and the other JB, translated as Jazz Blues. Both sport Alnico 5 magnets.

Neither were designed specifically for "Jazz", whatever would that entail.

The Jazz model winding pattern, paired with an Alnico 2 magnet, is sold as the APH1N, aka Alnico Pro II neck.

As I can personally attest, the Jazz neck sound pretty good with either an A2 or an A3 in the neck of a semi- or full-hollow.

ATM I'm using an A3n/A2b-modded, Seymour Duncan '59 set in my ES-339, my #1 choice for my Smooth Jazz project band.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 07-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Highly recommend the Vintage Vibe CC (HCC?) that fits in a humbucker route. I use a Duncan Alnico II Pro (stock Tele size) and it works great, also. Check Tim Lerch's vids for some great Tele tone and pickup suggestions. I'm getting ready to buy a 'Road Worn' Tele based on his demo.

User Info Menu

I have the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in the neck position in my G&L Bluesboy. I’m pretty happy with with it. It’s warm and crisp at the same time without being muddy

User Info Menu

The standard Fender WR Humbucker as in a Telecaster Deluxe, is a good pup, most Rock people swap caps from 250 to 500 to make brighter, as Rockers think its too dark. that pickup in a Tele neck position is good.

I am talking about Fender WR HBuckers from approx 7-9 years ago, i think the new ones may be different they keep screwing with things,

User Info Menu

I used Dimarzio 36th for a while, and thought it was great for jazz, but sometimes it felt a little too woody sounding for anything else. I now have TV Jones powertrons and it really hit the spot. They are brighter, with great note definition, probably best of all humbuckers for clarity.

User Info Menu

You know, the stock neck Fender neck pickup sounds mighty good for jazz, as does the '52 RI pickup.

I am using the Rumpelstiltskin White Rope, which is a reproduction of the late-50s pickup.

I really think it nails the early Steve Cropper tone...when Cropper was on the neck pickup. Use JS113 or JS112 strings and it's jazz city.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    You know, the stock neck Fender neck pickup sounds mighty good for jazz, as does the '52 RI pickup.

I am using the Rumpelstiltskin White Rope, which is a reproduction of the late-50s pickup.

I really think it nails the early Steve Cropper tone...when Cropper was on the neck pickup. Use JS113 or JS112 strings and it's jazz city.
    For that matter, the Nocaster pickups are fantastic.

User Info Menu

+1 nocaster pickup

User Info Menu

If you really want humbucker tone, you might consider a mini-humbucker instead. It's a pretty popular option for Teles.