The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

OP here! Thanks so much for the serious reactions.

"Hatim, can you say why you did not like the compact 60? i´m interested in buying one for a duo with a singer."
    I've heard very good response on the AER Compact 60. But mabey because my Gibson is a little dark, it didn't live. But with more acoustic guitars it's wonderful. Mabey with your guitar too.

"You could try a Henriksen with the add-on tweeter or even a different speaker"
    I've tried that, but after a while the tweeter sounded tiring to me.

"The Evans RE200 will save you some weight at 25lbs with a 10" speaker"
    I played that one. I liked it. But it started to distor at medium volume.
    The saving weight and volume isn't that important. I do these jazzgigs for app. 25 years now on my bicycle through Amsterdam(so no hills) and I''m pretty handy with it. Just have to haul it 3 very smalls steps up, so 18kg/36lbs is max.

"VS112-JZ"
    I actually really like that idea and it have started to change my mind about not wanting a tube amp. If they can be so light...really interesting!

"Acoustic Image head".
    I can try that one out, My bassplayer uses one.

"Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight"
    That is new for me, never saw them. Looks interesting too.

"Genuine seeker of knowledge or just another troll ?"
    Sorry for a late reaction. Yes I am a very serious player and therefor seeker for a very good amplifier.

So right now one the list:
    Acoustic Image head + cabinet
    Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight
    Evans JE200And mabey I'm converted, so the light tube Vintage Amp 112-JZ

Thanks,

Hans

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hans

I've also read good things about the Headstrong Lil' King - fewer watts, although they told me they could tweak the amp to get more clean headroom.

User Info Menu

Amsterdam? That would explain the bicycle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Amsterdam? That would explain the bicycle.
    And if you're transporting an amp on a bike - tubes are definitely off the list!

User Info Menu

Hans, my apology for suggesting that you're trolling.

Past experience is that, if one wants to take advantage of the knowledge and experience contained on an internet forum, one has to stay connected to the process. Sometimes it's necessary even to gently steer topics back to your question, as they tend to diverge.

I've observed that, when someone tosses out a question and then disappears, a lot of effort is expended to "help" someone who didn't need/want help.

You're getting a lot of information from some very experienced guys, glad to see that you appreciate their efforts and time

cheers,
    randyc

User Info Menu

"Hans, my apology for suggesting....."
    Thanks RandyC, I now understand a bit more how these fora work.

"And if you're transporting an amp on a bike - tubes are definitely off the list"
    It goes pretty well with a rubberfoam mat under the amp and a bit of carefull biking. Never had problems. Even ones biked with a Twin on the back!

Anyhow, still dubbing about the few possibilities, though tending towards the Evans JE200.

Hans

User Info Menu

Hans

How do you transport the amp on your bike - do you use a trailer?

Bill

User Info Menu

"How do you transport the amp on your bike - do you use a trailer"
    Just simply put the amp on the back of the bike, on the bagagecarrier as most bikes here have them.
    If it's my tubeamp which I use for bluesbands, I first put a foamrubber mat on the bagagecarrier and then the amp. Put these thick elastic band around the amp, guitar on my back and go.

Hans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    "How do you transport the amp on your bike - do you use a trailer"
    Just simply put the amp on the back of the bike, on the bagagecarrier as most bikes here have them.
    If it's my tubeamp which I use for bluesbands, I first put a foamrubber mat on the bagagecarrier and then the amp. Put these thick elastic band around the amp, guitar on my back and go.

Hans
    sounds good!

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention: the Jazzmaster Ultralight weighs under 12kg, and consists of an 8kg speaker cabinet (40cm on a side) and the 3kg head, which rides in a carrying bag.

I checked Fender's web site, and it appears that the JM has been discontinued. MF lists it as a clearance item. Too bad -- it'll join the Jazz-King in Fender limbo.
    Last edited by lpdeluxe; 11-06-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: update on availability

User Info Menu

If you're travelling by bike, try the ZT Lunchbox. Fits into a backpack, 9.5lbs and loud enough to play with a band. Not very versatile I find, but all in all a good amp for it's size and loudness it provides.

User Info Menu

From your site, Jim: "I personally wouldn’t buy a Henriksen, Clarus, or Polytone…these amps all have a processed digital sound and get muddy at higher volumes. "

What exactly does "digital sound" mean in the context of a Polytone, which predates by decades the use of DSP for guitar.

User Info Menu

Good catch, TDD ! Seems to me like this guy is the standard collection of processed, ground animal parts compacted into a rectangular can.

User Info Menu

Yah, Randy. I didn't notice that until I found that he disclosed his dealership on another thread.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Dirk obviously has noticed this too, I notice that the guy's posts are now gone. Good job, Dirk !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    From your site, Jim: "I personally wouldn’t buy a Henriksen, Clarus, or Polytone…these amps all have a processed digital sound and get muddy at higher volumes. "

What exactly does "digital sound" mean in the context of a Polytone, which predates by decades the use of DSP for guitar.
    It means "if I talk about pixie dust, you'll think I'm a wizard."

Not much else. I've had my LP and my Jazzmaster out this week, and I'm in love all over again. I guess I just have a fondness for "processed digital sound."

User Info Menu

Oh well. No one's disputing Evans makes good amps. Don't know if I'd buy one without trying it out, and the person in question is located in (checks area code...) Rhode Island. A bit far for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    Yeah, Dirk obviously has noticed this too, I notice that the guy's posts are now gone. Good job, Dirk !

I must be slow. I missed everthing and then went back 3 times to try to figure out who Jim was.

User Info Menu

How about a ZT Amplifier The Club that should be coming out late November ...I'm really thinking of buying one these fits the bill 22 pounds ,200 watts size 13.75"x9 25"x15"...12" speaker, Volume, gain, treble, bass ,reverb,line out,headphone level, aux input,external speaker output...Effects loop,pure analog front end with diode overdrive capability...I know some might argue that it's not 200 watts but really don't care it going to be loud as F#@k.
    Last edited by bluemood; 11-13-2009 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    I know some might argue that it's not 200 watts but really don't care it going to be loud as F#@k.
    Well, I don't know anyone who would argue about the 200 watt thing but I sure know people (like me) that would argue about how loud it will be. An amplifier is a useless object without loudspeakers - they are ususally the weak link. We've already run that topic into the ground but if you're interested, a search would pull up the topic ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    Well, I don't know anyone who would argue about the 200 watt thing but I sure know people (like me) that would argue about how loud it will be. An amplifier is a useless object without loudspeakers - they are ususally the weak link. We've already run that topic into the ground but if you're interested, a search would pull up the topic ...
    I respect your point and agree ...I did fail to mention that the amp is suppose to have a ultra -high performance speaker precisely match and tuned to the closed back cabinet...I did read some of your speaker post all ready thanks very helpful alot of useful info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    How about a ZT Amplifier The Club that should be coming out late November
    I'm not in the market, but I am curious and check their web site every so often to see when it is finally out. I suspect "300Guitars" may post the first review.

But I wonder if the new ZT Club is falling between two stools. The original Lunchbox's two main selling features were low price (~$260) and small size and weight (~9.5lb). The Club is going for $400-something and 22lbs. That's light, but some Acoustic Image combos weight less than that (!) and the Evans RE-200 is 25lbs. As for price, we all know you can get a Polytone on eBay for around $300 plus shipping. So for jazz guitar, is its features good enough to make it sell? Let's see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm not in the market, but I am curious and check their web site every so often to see when it is finally out. I suspect "300Guitars" may post the first review.

But I wonder if the new ZT Club is falling between two stools. The original Lunchbox's two main selling features were low price (~$260) and small size and weight (~9.5lb). The Club is going for $400-something and 22lbs. That's light, but some Acoustic Image combos weight less than that (!) and the Evans RE-200 is 25lbs. As for price, we all know you can get a Polytone on eBay for around $300 plus shipping. So for jazz guitar, is its features good enough to make it sell? Let's see.
    I do have a Polytone mini brute IV 2005 model ...I like the fact that it's all in one combo and that you can get some breakup if you want it ...The size for me is perfect I can carry guitar in one hand and amp in another...$400.00 or $500.00 is still not a bad price most other amps new are about $800.00 and up.
    Last edited by bluemood; 11-13-2009 at 05:24 PM.