The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Sorry for the thread divert, but Big Mike, I'm just curious - as someone who I know has some really fantastic high end archtop guitars, how do you rate the humble Ibanez AF series in comparison?

Meggy,
    You remember me from the ICW Forum as BigMike... Heck I've belonged to that group since the early 2000s... My first guitar was an Ibanez I got at a trade show in Chicago in 1965.

So knowing my roots and previously humble financial situation... It think that the AF105 guitars are great values. You've seen me beam over how wonderful that special run of AS103s and AF105s are. I think they're really great, and with some electrical upgrades would make stellar long term professional performing instruments. You can't compare them to some of the high end carved top/back archtops available because the AS/AF series are laminated and yet they're really suited for live stage work where you play loud plugged in. Apples vs Oranges.

Yet for the money you get a very nice instrument that's gonna play well for a long time. The fret work on those babies is some of the best I've ever seen.

Big

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlvGent
    I decided to get the AS103 today, the experienced members on this forum had so much good to say about it and I just can't say no to a guitar with a story and a personality (I'd also looked at some Gretsch 5422 models, but decided against them because I can't see any of them truly becoming MY guitar.) The ebony fretwork of the AS153 was also very interesting, but in the end the 103 won me over.
    Many thanks to all of the contributors to this thread! I'll be sure to post some pics when I get the guitar!
    Have a great one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Happy New Incoming Day, brotha. Looking forward to your posts about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Meggy,
    You remember me from the ICW Forum as BigMike... Heck I've belonged to that group since the early 2000s... My first guitar was an Ibanez I got at a trade show in Chicago in 1965.

So knowing my roots and previously humble financial situation... It think that the AF105 guitars are great values. You've seen me beam over how wonderful that special run of AS103s and AF105s are. I think they're really great, and with some electrical upgrades would make stellar long term professional performing instruments. You can't compare them to some of the high end carved top/back archtops available because the AS/AF series are laminated and yet they're really suited for live stage work where you play loud plugged in. Apples vs Oranges.

Yet for the money you get a very nice instrument that's gonna play well for a long time. The fret work on those babies is some of the best I've ever seen.

Big
    Thank you Mike! Afraid I've never been on ICW World forum, so I only know you from your posts here, but you have posted enough pictures of lovely guitars, Ibanez and otherwise, for me to want to ask you that question. And yes, of course the comparing apples and oranges point has to be right I'm sure. I think I've tended to shy away from the Ibanez AF range, partly because I'm more of a solidbody, or semi-acoustic, type of player - I like the extra sustain, and the crisper kind of sound with roundwound strings - usually anyhow. Not that I have massive experience, but as a great playing and sounding instrument, I rank my AS103 very highly, so I guess I'm curious as to the relative quality of the AF range - how would one of the upper end AF instruments compare to something like an ES175 might have been a better question perhaps. Thank you again for the reply though, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Thank you Mike! Afraid I've never been on ICW World forum, so I only know you from your posts here, but you have posted enough pictures of lovely guitars, Ibanez and otherwise, for me to want to ask you that question. And yes, of course the comparing apples and oranges point has to be right I'm sure. I think I've tended to shy away from the Ibanez AF range, partly because I'm more of a solidbody, or semi-acoustic, type of player - I like the extra sustain, and the crisper kind of sound with roundwound strings - usually anyhow. Not that I have massive experience, but as a great playing and sounding instrument, I rank my AS103 very highly, so I guess I'm curious as to the relative quality of the AF range - how would one of the upper end AF instruments compare to something like an ES175 might have been a better question perhaps. Thank you again for the reply though, much appreciated.
    Others might disagree, but I'm a fan of Ibanez's AF200 Prestige model. It is very similar to the now discontinued GB200. Both made in Japan by their best luthiers. It has a different vibe than an E175, less 'thunk', a bit more bright, but still a great jazz tone. Great bang for buck in my opinion.

Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR - AF200 Artstar | Ibanez guitars

User Info Menu

That AF looks great and it has those super 58’s in it.

What’s the diff between the AF and AS models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    That AF looks great and it has those super 58’s in it.

What’s the diff between the AF and AS models?

AF is a full hollowbody laminated archtop, deeper body depth also. AS is, in broad terms, the Ibanez equivalent of a 335 type semi-acoustic - ie. it has a solid block down the centre of the body.

User Info Menu

AF is a full hollowbody laminated archtop, deeper body depth also. AS is, in broad terms, the Ibanez equivalent of a 335 type semi-acoustic - ie. it has a solid block down the centre of the body.
    Thanks. I’ll have to check them out. Maybe my 153 needs a mate!

The guitar got delivered today! I'm not home this month, so I had them deliver it to my dad's. Keep in mind he's not a professional photographer. ;-)

Here are the pics!

User Info Menu

Congrats!!

I too would have jumped that AS103 and the black hardware looks just fine on that guitar

With regards to pups, I personally wouldn't be sad that they are changed. I've never been totally sold on the chinese super 58s and would consider a pup swap if it had the originals anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Congrats!!

I too would have jumped that AS103 and the black hardware looks just fine on that guitar

With regards to pups, I personally wouldn't be sad that they are changed. I've never been totally sold on the chinese super 58s and would consider a pup swap if it had the originals anyway.
    Thanks man! I like the look of it as well. The pickups aren't the best quality, but I'm thinking of installing the Seth Lover gold pickups that Big Mike mentioned earlier. Overall, I'm super stoked to have it!

User Info Menu

It's a beauty and I second the opinion that in these photos the black hardware looks great !!
    You have all the time in the world to try out the guitar as is and then later do a pickup changeout.
    The big thing was closing the deal and getting her home...

Congrats !!

Big