The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

4th set in a row this has happened to me. Very disappointed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There was a thread about it a while back. It’s disappointing, I’m sorry.

I switched to chromes and replace the top two strings to match the TI gauges. I’ve been happy since. I’ve been thinking about trying Curt Mangan’s flats since I’m happy with his rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    There was a thread about it a while back. It’s disappointing, I’m sorry.

I switched to chromes and replace the top two strings to match the TI gauges. I’ve been happy since. I’ve been thinking about trying Curt Mangan’s flats since I’m happy with his rounds.
    i've had the same thing happen many times with chrome flats as well. Both d'addario and TI have replaced the G string in multiple sets for me.

wow, after playing these a week, not just a rough g string but E and A too. They're like half rounds. Evidenced by tearing up my picks. Basically these are unusable for me. I may go back to daddario 11s but replacing the top 2 strings because even though daddario periodically has problems with their G strings, the others are ground properly.

are there any other flatsounds that are truly ground flat and comparable in guage to the daddario 11s or thomastik gs112?

User Info Menu

I just pust on a set of JS112s, and they have the same problem. The A and G strings are very rough, the D string somewhat smoother and the E as smooth as they used to be, or close to it. I bought a three pack, and it seems the other two packs have the same problem, but I haven't checked every string. I've written to technik@thomastik-infeld.com about this. Waiting for an answer now.

This is very frustrating, especially considering the cost of these strings.

User Info Menu

I have always thought GHS had pretty good QC you might try them, although I do not use them myself. They make a compound wound set 1800 and 1810 which are really nice. Barker used them exclusively on his guitars and as the late great Johnny Gray played those strings. They are wound but much smally due to the two windings. It seems to me that of all the strings, straight up flat wounds are the hardest to get consistancey with a set.

I don't know why making guitar strings is not like launching the Space Shuttle. I am one of the few who just do not "get" the Thomastic string thing...……….they just are not that superior to my ears for the money. Also Jack, I don't consider you to be player who really digs in with your playing style. You seem to float more around and to me that style of playing is easier on strings. I just do not see you beating a set up. I would go to the source and ask some questions.

User Info Menu

I haven't had a problem with Pyramids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have always thought GHS had pretty good QC you might try them, although I do not use them myself. They make a compound wound set 1800 and 1810 which are really nice. Barker used them exclusively on his guitars and as the late great Johnny Gray played those strings. They are wound but much smally due to the two windings.
    I looked around, but these seem to be discontinued, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I looked around, but these seem to be discontinued, no?
    I could not see them on the GHS site so I sent them a email. They probably will respond.

User Info Menu

Email back from the company and yes they do not make those strings any more. I am sure the market for them was pretty small.

User Info Menu

I’ve found this discussion very interesting. There aren’t very many people that have strung more guitars with sets of JS112 and JS113 than I have in the last couple of years and I have yet to run into such an issue.

I have strung up somewhere between 100 and 120 sets in the last two years. I had one G string break, and I think that was due to the way I used a PRS locking tuner, rather than an actual string defect. Other than that, I’ve had zero issues.

User Info Menu

Likewise absolutely no issues. Albeit with far fewer sets than your 100+.

I definitely understand players not seeing the appeal of T-I JS strings. Different strokes and all.

For me they are the perfect string when flats are called for. The cost is both absurd and completely affordable considering how long I can use a set.

Anyway, I hope those who are having problems find a solution in one way or another.

User Info Menu

I tried Pyramid flats maybe 6 or 7 year ago. Two issues for me:

The strings (tried two sets) were covered in fine dust from what seemed to be a final grind. Black lines on the left hand fingertips after playing.

The G string had a very strong whine as it decayed. Not a bright sound, but an “are we there yet” sort of back set of the car whiny sound.

Last time I tried Pyramids. They may be great and I am missing something.

User Info Menu

Right now I have the JS112 strings on an Eastman AR805CE and also on an Eastman Frank Vignola guitar. Strings were purchased at different times. Even though the guitars have similar setups in terms of relief and action, the strings on the Frank Vignola guitar, with a slightly longer scale length, just feel more flexible to me. Strings have been on both guitars for at least 6 months now.

I wonder if it's the strings themselves or something else about the guitar setup. (Maybe nut or bridge). I would have thought the strings on the longer scale length guitar would feel stiffer.

Any new perspectives on recently purchased JS112 strings?

User Info Menu

Perceived tension can be affected by total string length, and friction from the nut and bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Perceived tension can be affected by total string length, and friction from the nut and bridge.
    Makes sense to me. The two guitars were not set up by the same luthier. With all the previous dialog regarding the 3rd string winding, I was wondering if perhaps other characteristics had changed.

User Info Menu

That I can't say. I don't use TI strings.

User Info Menu

Has anyone had a response from Thomastik?

i did. They sent me 3 replacement strings which also were not ground properly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

how many wraps of a string around your tuning peg can alter perceived tension!!..type and length of tailpiece as well...so many factors..and all important!! that's guitars!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I don't understand how the number of wraps around the capstan can alter perceived tension. Can you explain that?

User Info Menu

the more wraps around the peg...the lower the string goes..the lower the string goes, the more taut it comes off the nut...same applies to tailpiece..its all angles

a good healthy wrap solves alot of problems on some guitars!! (esp on fender low E's)

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-11-2018 at 09:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Theoretically that makes sense, but whether it's actually enough to feel on a typical archtop might be debatable. Maybe I've been using too many wraps on my guitars. I actually do think fewer is better most of the time, on most archtops, but I don't attach enough importance to take the time to insure any number of wraps. On a Fender, you do need as many wraps as you can force on there. On an angled peghead, with the posts a few inches from the nut, I don't care as much. But I haven't done any rigorous experimentation on the subject. Based solely on what I have experienced over the years, I tend to think the condition of the nut might have more effect than a slight angle change, but again I have no actual proof. Everything has an effect, no doubt, and teasing out exactly what affects what is difficult, perhaps a lifetime's work, and I have other priorities, such as learning to play the guitar better. That is certainly a lifetime's work for me.

User Info Menu

Anyone recently order the TI JS112 strings?

Any more thoughts on quality?

Noticing most of the wear I get is on the 3rd string, and a little less on the 4th string, I have been thinking about ordering those string gauges, retaining the 5th and 6th for a longer time, and using another source for the first and second string.

Just replaced a 3rd string, but the string I used was from a set I have had hear for several years.