Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, those are...fugly.

User Info Menu

Does D'A know that it is 2018?

User Info Menu

The Ferolitos continue to devalue the reputation of John D'Angelico with their "offerings".

At least GHS (the former owner of the brand) commissioned guitars that were worthy of the name.

Larry Coryell once told me that he tried to like the Parker Fly, but the guitar had no soul (and Larry and Ken Parker were friends). I'd bet the same could be said about these. How sad.

It is a free market and people can build and buy guitars as they like, but as long as free expression is still allowed, as a fan of the guitars of John D'Angelico, I am going to express my disapproval.

User Info Menu

Is it so hard to come up w/an original name instead of D'Angelico, D'Aquisto, Loar??

User Info Menu

I guess that Art Deco headstock et al goes with everything. Kinda like shorts
    Attached Images Attached Images D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-4cd2341900000578-5796037-image-m-103_1527873314815-jpg 

User Info Menu

I was surprised to learn a few months ago that non-jazzers are heavy into the reissue D'A's. Like hard-rockers, guys into the motorcycle scene, sorta modern hipster type fellas. I thought it was weird but these new styles seem consistent with that target market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I was surprised to learn a few months ago that non-jazzers are heavy into the reissue D'A's. Like hard-rockers, guys into the motorcycle scene, sorta modern hipster type fellas. I thought it was weird but these new styles seem consistent with that target market.
    That old country rock fart that plays the Monday Night football theme (or is it Sunday, or Thursday....) plays a DA. I'm guessing that's where this is coming from.

User Info Menu

That one with the dancing bears kinda stopped me cold. What the??

User Info Menu

No. Just... No.

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    That one with the dancing bears kinda stopped me cold. What the??
    That's the "Grateful Dead" model. Maybe illicit substance induced/inspired?

User Info Menu

Regarding the d'angelicos, I agree with you. I have to also say though that that huge headstock contributes nothing to the instrument other than to make it more prone to neck dive. A friend of mine has one of their semihollows and he said he can't play it standing due to that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Ferolitos continue to devalue the reputation of John D'Angelico with their "offerings".

At least GHS (the former owner of the brand) commissioned guitars that were worthy of the name.

Larry Coryell once told me that he tried to like the Parker Fly, but the guitar had no soul (and Larry and Ken Parker were friends). I'd bet the same could be said about these. How sad.

It is a free market and people can build and buy guitars as they like, but as long as free expression is still allowed, as a fan of the guitars of John D'Angelico, I am going to express my disapproval.

User Info Menu

One of our forum members, Bob Roetker plays one. He's a great player and is not a modern hipster at all. Rez Abassi (another forum member) also plays one and is not a hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Regarding the d'angelicos, I agree with you. I have to also say though that that huge headstock contributes nothing to the instrument other than to make it more prone to neck dive. A friend of mine has one of their semihollows and he said he can't play it standing due to that issue.
    It also makes it a little tough to fit into a proper sized gig bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It also makes it a little tough to fit into a proper sized gig bag.
    I would guess the case too. I had that problem with my '63 kessel too but the d'angelico is even worse. If they're going to make a completely new line of guitars that has nothing to do with the original d'angelico concept, I say ditch the headstock.

I'm more interested in the eastman solidbodies but I haven't seen one in the usa

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    For both aesthetic and practical reasons I would have preferred this design.

D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-da-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    For both aesthetic and practical reasons I would have preferred this design.

D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-da-headstock-jpg
    Even that design adds additional mass that is unnecessary IMO. With a mahogany neck and a bigger body it's not significant but on a semi and with a maple neck, it still leads to neck dive.

User Info Menu

The look doesn't do much for me, but I'd at least be willing to try them out just to see how they play and sound.

But when it comes to solid bodies, I'm a Tele guy, so I doubt I'll be having any GAS for these.

User Info Menu

There are other headstock options that were used by Mr. D’A himself. Some may even function better in almost every way.

User Info Menu

Someone is rolling over in his grave right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Not too keen in general, but this one is ok

User Info Menu

Yeah ... I don't think these are targeted at us older farts who remember the 70s and 80s .. especially those who think Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery are the pinnacle of guitar playing

Seems to me a younger crowd might actually go for some of these body styles. ... the ones who helped bring back the Fender Jaguar and other "offset" models.

User Info Menu

Unreal how bad these are, you think they could do something classy, like Triggs did with these...

D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-34558589_10155692985472239_6519704263055114240_n-jpg

User Info Menu

The whole "name game" is getting a little tiresome, its all been legitimized in leading schools-of-business-management as branding theory. I know its just business but if its annoying to you just imagine how families feel (at least the branches of the family that didn't get a cut).

I guess its a little different with Gibson and Fender. . .but not much. There is really a long long list of meaningless surname/brandnames if you think about it.

Did the real D'Angelico ever make a solid body or flat-top acoustic?

User Info Menu

Non-mahogany neck in a set-neck is a no-go...
    (for ME, of course;-))