The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

That's what I assumed but many Eastman thin bodies and some luthiers use solid woods- at least for the tops. And I assume that a 2.5" deep guitar should have less acoustic volume than a 3+" AND that a set-in p/u should have a dampening effect on top vibrations (reducing feedback). But I will be some thin body owners will chime in and tell me their their guitars have some meaningful volume.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to own an Eastman T145, which I'm sorry I sold. It's 1.75" deep with a carved solid top, set pickup, 15" lower bout. It's as loud acoustically as much bigger guitars. What it doesn't have is much bass response. Thinner guitars can be as loud as deeper ones, but it requires more body depth to get the bass response. Some can go too far in that direction, however. I have an 18" acoustic archtop that is 3.5" deep, a 17" archtop that is 2.75" deep, and a 16" that is 2.5" deep. All were built by the same luthier, and all have similar acoustic volume, but the tone is very different. The 16" has parallel bracing, and is as loud as the bigger ones, but it doesn't have nearly the bass volume, it's mostly in the mids. The depth of the body doesn't have a lot to do with acoustic volume, IME, but it does have a big influence on tone. I don't find that a set pickup up against the end of the neck affects acoustic volume that much. The top isn't vibrating all that much there. A bridge pickup is a different story, though.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information. Big help. By chance, I am looking at a T145 and T146. The 15" size looks awfully small with a 1.75" depth. Reason I'm asking is if I play it acoustically at home, I'd like it to have enough volume in a small room. Tone, I will admit, is another thing entirely. Also, looking at the ladder braced 16" Jazz Elite which would have more presence I suppose.
    Thanks again.

User Info Menu

The depth isn't a big factor, IME. The T145 I owned had plenty of acoustic volume, and in fact it was actually louder than the Gibson J45 I also own. It didn't have the sweetest tone I've ever heard, but it was loud. I haven't tried a T146, but I would expect it to be at least as loud as a T145. I just wasn't playing the T145 much, because I have a Wu that is ~16" and 2.5" in depth, and it's what I almost always pick up to play. The Eastman became pretty much a duplicate, so I sold it. I still miss it, but the Wu certainly covers the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'd like everyone's input on this one. Here are a bunch of questions. Feel free to answer one, some, or all of them if you have the spare time.

What do you think is the best archtop with a floating pickup?

Could you just grab the best acoustic archtop and slap a floater on it, or is there something specific you look for when you pick something with a floater?

How important is the acoustic tone to you? Some people say that the amplified tone of a guitar with a floater is more acoustic sounding than one with a set pickup. However, when you play something with a floater (at least at low volumes), you're bound to hear the acoustic sound of the guitar too. Is that desirable?

I've heard that too much acoustic volume correlates to feedback proclivity. What are the tradeoffs?

Also, once you turn up the volume, you will no longer hear the acoustic sound, so why would it matter?

When it comes to archtops, people make distinctions between what would make a good rhythm guitar vs what would make a good "lap piano" guitar. Which of those would work better with a floating pickup? Or is there a third category that works particularly well with a floating pickup?

So, in short, what is your pick on the best archtop with a floater? Please also describe why.

Anything I missed?

Oh, and some ear candy featuring a DeArmond floater.

I think the Epiphone Emperor Regent gets a nice tight tone to it with it's floater. In my experience it's not overly acoustic when amplified but more so than my other archtops with cut in pickups. I hear a difference anyway.

User Info Menu

It depends on what you intend to use it for. I’ll admit to my own bias and say a 17” Campellone is at least among the best choices for a floater. My Campellone Standard has a beautiful, articulate and rich acoustic tone. Mark made 2 pickguards with attached floaters for me. One is a Biltoft CC pickup. The other is a Lollar gold foil. Mark installed an RCA jack so I can switch them easily. Both pickups are great for playing at low volume. I personally like playing low enough that some of the acoustic tone comes through. The CC has a bit more color and has more of a bluesy tone. The gold foil is warmer and more clear and articulate. But, truth be told, they are not that different from each other. I’d recommend either, but be sure to use 250k pots with them. They are the intended specs and they bleed off more of the high frequencies to ground, which makes the pickups warmer, as they are supposed to sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ewall
    And to add to the thread, it seems that there are no thin (<3") hollow bodied 16" archtops with floating pickups. Is there a reason for that?

Well, there is the Collings CL Jazz | Thin-line Archtop Electric Guitar
    Body Depth 1 5/8"