The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msr13
    I love it. Thanks for asking. Hey, do you give lessons, as well? I am only a couple hours from the city.
    Yes I do indeed give lessons-I am located on 238th street in The Bronx, next to Riverdale.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I own and play gibson guitars and since buying then got a chance to actually play the Heritage. Honestly if i could do it again there is no doubt in my mind that i would go with the heritage. Although, sadowsky is top quality too. try and find something with a solid top. There is also a canadian company called sparrow they make a 335 style guitar that i think out plays the gibson also. Although, gibsons do play well there may be a few guitars that are built with a little more quality.

User Info Menu

Both Gibson 335's and Sadowsky's don't have solid tops. I don't know about Heritage. Both Collings and PRS do. The Gibson 336 and 356 as well-not the 339.

User Info Menu

Since I wrote my first reply a year ago, we evaluated the Carvin SH550:
    Carvin SH-550 - A Comprehensive Evaluation
    It's a solid-top, but I don't think that means much for an electric. Laminated tops, as on the 335 and Heritage (essentially made the same way as the 335) use mature technology, and I have heard very few reports of problems with them. They were introduced, not so much as a cheaper alternative (the tooling costs were probably greater, compared to solid tops) but to improve stability and reduce feedback compared to carved spruce tops on amplified instruments. I play electric, not acoustic, and my perspective is that of one who wants to minimize problems at a gig, rather than that of a "purist."

Last summer, when we were working on the Carvin evaluation, my playing partner liked it so much he bought it -- when we played together last Thursday, he told me again how much he loved it.

I'd love to have one, especially with the optional Bigsby, but I'm down to one electric these days, my 335, and am trying to avoid buying another.

some of the heritage models come with solid tops. The playablillity of a sadowski and the craftmanship is really the selling point (although the solid top is nice). I had a buddy in college who played the gibson 336. That guitar was sweet it had kind of a thicker neck then i prefer but it could have been the model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyguitarbass
    The playablillity of a sadowski and the craftmanship is really the selling point (although the solid top is nice).
    all the current Sadowsky archtop models are laminate tops to the best of my knowledge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    all the current Sadowsky archtop models are laminate tops to the best of my knowledge
    I recall a forum member bought a prototype to the Jim Hall that had a solid spruce top. I bet it was one-of-a-kind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I recall a forum member bought a prototype to the Jim Hall that had a solid spruce top. I bet it was one-of-a-kind.
    you're right - see third para in link below ...

Sadowsky | Jim Hall FAQ

User Info Menu

I'm going to echo what a few of you have said and vote either the Heritage or the Sadowski. Both companies have a reputation for quality, and with the Gibson, half the price you're paying is for the 'Gibson' stamp on the headstock. Just my $0.02.