The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Disagree. Plenty of jazz guitarists use 8" speakers. Kleinhaut uses a raezer'd edge 8" cab and I used their 2x8 cab for years on hundreds of gigs.
    The subject was about a single loudspeaker cab. 2x8" or 4x6" will certainly work, although I don't know any guitar-specific 8" or 6".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Henriksen Bud has a 6" speaker, and it's certainly marketed as a jazz amplifier, and there is an extension cab with 6" speaker available. There are lots and lots of guitar cabs with 8" speakers, as well as combos. 8 is the new 10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    The subject was about a single loudspeaker cab. 2x8" or 4x6" will certainly work, although I don't know any guitar-specific 8" or 6".
    The subject was about LIGHT cabinet, not single I'm looking at 2x10 or 2x8 now.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't think that for jazz FRFR is nice. I have i.e. gt-100 which sounds nice through PA directly but i don't find it in jazz. Especially when it comes to clean... So I use it with combo because to me clean chanel with clear connection gtr>amp is high priority. Taking extra effect for each gig? Nooo...

From the other hand with FRFR and modeller you can get nice tone with "wooden spoon" so you can save money on guitar. But to me it's a bit cheeting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asedas
    The subject was about LIGHT cabinet, not single I'm looking at 2x10 or 2x8 now.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't think that for jazz FRFR is nice. I have i.e. gt-100 which sounds nice through PA directly but i don't find it in jazz. Especially when it comes to clean... So I use it with combo because to me clean chanel with clear connection gtr>amp is high priority. Taking extra effect for each gig? Nooo...

From the other hand with FRFR and modeller you can get nice tone with "wooden spoon" so you can save money on guitar. But to me it's a bit cheeting
    This 2x10 is light (12.3 kg) but is 550USD:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--QUIAVCAB210GOLD

User Info Menu

Raezer's Edge has a 2x8 cab that gets good reviews. Shipping might be a problem, though. The DV Mark cabinet might be the easiest for those in Europe. I've never tried one, but I wouldn't be afraid to if I didn't already have more cabinets than I need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asedas
    what cabs are you using?
    A custom 2x8 by JDesigns, and a 2x8 "bass" cab by RevSound! [I "fake" bass, and was talking with Dave at RevSound about cabs. The guys at Talkbass have been eating up his 2x8, and then he said, "Yeah, it's pretty cool for guitar, too!" I have the DV Mark Jazz head, and the Rev 2x8 sounds fantastic with it, and it's incredibly small and light-weight! It happens to be 4 Ohms, though, which may not work for your other needs.]

User Info Menu

Here's just one nice example. The ER version with adjustable tweeter even does double duty as an acoustic speaker if you wish:

NY8 Guitar Speaker Cabinet

Small universal cab?-re8-jpg

User Info Menu

you missed 1/2 the conversation. Raezer's edge, mambo, quilter and others make 1x8 cabinets and I know a bunch of guys using that combination on everything from solo to big band gigs. Ultimately, I like more air moving so i personally wouldn't use a 1x8 setup on anything larger than a duo but others do it just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    you missed 1/2 the conversation. Raezer's edge, mambo, quilter and others make 1x8 cabinets and I know a bunch of guys using that combination on everything from solo to big band gigs. Ultimately, I like more air moving so i personally wouldn't use a 1x8 setup on anything larger than a duo but others do it just fine.
    I've been shown several examples I didn't even know the existence of.

Looks like I'm a victim of the narrow italian market for certain kind of products.

At least I know better now.

User Info Menu

A couple of notes from my experience.

I regularly gig with 2x8" (JC55). I still turn the bass down, and I'm using a semi or a solid. I get all the volume I need and it sounds fine. I have a better sounding amp, but it weighs twice as much.

I am leery of smaller speakers because of my experience with the Lunchbox. 6.25" speaker and sounds bad to me. I'm aware that others like it.

Yet, I spent some time upstairs at Rudy's last year playing vintage D'Angelicos -- and the amp Rudy had up there for the demo was a Bud with a small speaker. That surprised me -- selling guitars for numbers around $100k or a little less, with a 6 inch (or so) speaker? Some players I respect love the Bud, but I'm still wary of the speaker size. If I was unhappy with my current setup, I'd consider it though.

In general, the sound I'm trying to get is one that is thick enough for the guitar to sing out during solos, without being so bassy that it makes mud with piano, bass and drumset. I think the 8" speaker supports that goal.

One other point. The cabinets that others have suggested seem to weigh around 20 lbs, give or take a few lbs. Add a few pounds for a Class D amp and an extra cable (which, apparently, is not supposed to be a guitar cable, so, I guess you need to carry two, to have a spare), and you're in the mid 20s.

My JC55 is 26 lbs. That's with 2x8" and about 50 watts. SS, but not Class D. It is as loud as I've ever needed for jazz, including 19 pc big band. That's about the same as the new 30 watt Blues Cube. It's lighter than the new JC40 (34 lbs, I think).

There are good reasons to go with separates (my fave is that I can reach the controls while having the speaker further away), but weight may not be one of them.