The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Most comfortable body type for playing sitting down

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than 3 inch depth, 17 - 18 inch width. Eg. Super 400 or L5.

27 12.33%
  • More than 3 inch depth, 15 - 16 inch width. Eg. ES 175 and copies.

29 13.24%
  • 3-2 inch depth, 15 - 16 width. Eg, Most Eastmans, Gibson Modern Archtop.

58 26.48%
  • Thinline, 15 - 16 (1/2) width, Eg, ES 335.

34 15.53%
  • Standard solid-body size. Eg. Tele, Es 339.

56 25.57%
  • Another body shape that's not specified above.

34 15.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 106 of 106

User Info Menu

I find thinline (semi-hollow or archtop) guitars most comfortable for my body type (tall, lanky and long arms).

That said, what is even more comfortable is a guitar with a rounded back rim. Strats have that feature, but they are thin bodied gits. I have a couple of Teles (G&L ASAT and Fender Kotzen) with a rounded back rims that suit me perfectly. Sitting or standing, they just feel great. Once strapped on, they're hard to put down.
    Overall, I'm not picky and can quickly adjust to most any body style from a tiny-ish LP Junior all the way up to a full sized archtop.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For the sofa? My Larrivée parlor with 24” scale length. Perfect for quick noodling or working something out. Comfy on the couch, for sure.

User Info Menu

I have to say, my L4 CES is the most comfortable out of all my guitars. The narrow waist and deep body let it perch in my lap just right. The only guitar I get a bit of a cramp in the upper arm from is my Elitist Byrdland. The shallow body at the lower bout cuts in a bit.

Most comfortable guitar body type for playing sitting down-ll-jpg
    Last edited by Sleeko; 11-15-2023 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

To me the biggest issue with thin guitars is my right hand position- with an archtop I have a nice RH wrist position, with a thin guitar my wrist is flat or concave. When you play bebop at 280 bpm it makes a big difference! That's a joke, folks-

User Info Menu

335 types =best
    LP types=worst

User Info Menu

I suspect my resonator would be the most comfortable to play sitting down on - it's a bit small but it's probably the sturdiest of the lot and might just carry my weight

I play in classical position and use a support (De Oro) instead of a footstool. My Loar is probably the most comfortable match to my upper body but it does give my right leg a bit less options and it'd be easier on the left arm if it had a 12-fret neck join. My Cabaret and resonator are both a bit too small (or the supports too low) but the comfort of nylon strings (and wider string spacing on the Cabaret) make up for that.

All in all they're all compromises and I usually don't need to remind myself I have to change position or get up regularly with any of them.