The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80

User Info Menu

Demoed an Uptown 5th Ave (Bigsby and ebony) a few months ago. It was a gorgeous guitar, perfect build, and the neck shape was beyond perfect for my hands. My objection to it was it was pretty heavy and the bigsby was a PIA. Prefer P90s on the 5th Aves. But.. Price was right, used in perfect condition.

For all around playing however, it really doesn't get much better than the Godin Montreal Premiere... If you have the money for a 5th Ave Jazz, I would seriously compare it to the various Montreal models. Dollar for dollar my bet is 9/10 players would pick the Montreal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had one for a while. I think it's great, especiallcy for what it usually costs. Played great out of the box.

Changed the Pickup to a noiseless Fralin p90. My number one gripe with it (which has almost nothing to do with how it sounds or plays) was the finish. I found it dull and plasticky. Bu a nice "Gibson-like" finish is something that would probably make such a model much more expensive.

Ah, and I changed the bridge which also was a bit "cheap".

User Info Menu

+1 on the Pete Biltoft pickup. I have a solidbody guitar that I put Pete Biltoft Vitage Vibe pickups on, including a CCRider Charlie Christian style, and it just smokes any other guitar. I had 15 electrics and sold them all when I got ahold of the Biltoft pickups, except for that guitar!

User Info Menu

I bought one on Reverb a few years ago. The acoustic sound was very nice but pickup buzzed loudly and the seller sent me a Bartolini 5J. My luthier installed it, gutted the electronics (replaced the pots with better ones) and after a great set-up and TI Swings, it is the thunkiest and quietest guitar I have. It sounds like a typical laminated archtop now. My bridge was actually very nice according to the luthier although made from Tusq. He did not want to change it.

There are at least 2-3 inspiring Youtube clips. Listen to the ones by Mason Razavi.

User Info Menu

Super nice guitar, it's not long scale though. 24.84".

User Info Menu

My main gigging guitars are a Gibson ’59 VOS ES-175 and a Godin 5th Avenue Jazz. The fact that I keep the Godin in my regular rotation when I have other guitars says a lot. This may seem like a long post, but I have a lot of experience with the whole 5th Avenue line I can share, especially the Jazz.

I think the 5
    th Avenue line are some of the most playable and comfortable guitars around. I have come to consider them theTeles of the archtop world—simple, lightweight, relatively inexpensive, built like battleships, comfortable, and they happen to sound great. I have gotten to where I can set up any 5th Avenue to play like butter in about five minutes.

The Jazz definitely has the 5th Avenue DNA, but after playing the heck out of one for a long time, I can point out that it has some very subtle differences with the rest of the line that are not necessarily immediately apparent:

The finish is all gloss. I happen to like the satin finish on the lesser 5
    th Avenue models, but I find the mixed satinback/gloss front on the Composer a little weird. As noted above by Mike TT, the gloss finish on the Jazz is poly, not lacquer like Gibson. I am sure it keeps the cost down. On the plus side, the durability is better, which is important if you take it out and use it at gigs a lot like I do.

The frets are different somehow and more care obviously goes into them at the factory. They may be different material, but they are definitely just dressed better.

The fretboard is ebony. I actually like rosewood fretboards, but the ebony is nice and it gives the Jazz a different feel and look. It also sounds slightly different than the rest of the line with rosewood boards. The matching ebony knobs on the Jazz are a nice touch.

The top is a little thicker than most of the rest of the line. I remember seeing a video where someone from Godin—it may have been Robert Godin himself—said the slightly thicker top helps with feedback. The difference is very subtle and it is still way thinner than anything from Gibson, Heritage, Ibanez, etc. That is one reason the 5
    th Avenues are so light and comfortable. They all also retain some acoustic tone, even when plugged in. Godin has figured out how to make tops that are only about 1/16” thick, but still very strong.

The width of the body of the Jazz is slightly thinner than most of the rest of the 5
    th Avenue line. Again, very subtle difference. The Jazz is intended as an electric guitar.

The flame maple layer on the Jazz laminate is beautiful. I also think the maple lam, compared to the cherry of the lesser 5
    thAvenues, contributes to the Jazz’s sound.

The floating pickup is on the darker side and, along with the maple body, it gives the Jazz a sound that is a little more along the lines of an ES-175 than some of the other 5
    th Avenues. Don’t get me wrong though—it does not sound just like a 175. The 175 is “woodier” somehow. That’s why I have both. But, the Godins sound great in their own way.

Finally, to the OP, Uncle Vinnie, Doctor Jeff is correct that the Jazz neck is actually shorter scale at 24.84”, more like the ES-175 24.75" than the Tele or L-5 at 25.5”. I switch back and forth between the two scales okay, but I prefer the shorter scale. It’s just more comfortable for me personally.
    Last edited by Chazmo; 04-29-2018 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

What Chazmo says. I had a AAA Maple Flame Sunburst Godin Jazz and it was superb. Stunningly beautiful. From an acoustic standpoint it was built in a very resonant way. I would say that it had sort of a Martin 00 or 000 acoustic quality to it. I liked the stock pick up. Full sounding. Never saw a need to mess with it. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about was the flatness of the fret board, but the OP seems to prefer a flatter fret board, so it may be the ticket. I probably should have kept it, but I traded it for a Gibson ES-390. I think that the fret board on the Gibson is a 12". I haven't found a decent floater to replace the Godin though. Hence my regret for not keep it.
    Last edited by lammie200; 04-29-2018 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Montreal is a totally different type of guitar lol
    Most guitars can be considered completely different from each other.

The Godin Uptown is a significantly different playing experience that a Kingpin II.

However, both the Jazz and MP are meant to be amplified, both in similar price ranges... I think the original 5th Ave lines are fair value, but start hitting the Uptown and Jazz upscale of that line and my sense is there is much better value to be found elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences with this guitar. I read every word of all of your posts, and I'm convinced it's the one for me. I stand corrected on the scale length: Must've been a bad hit of acid on my part.

Jim S., I saw your youtube video of the Kingpin II demo and appreciated it very much. To my ear it sounds quite like an ES-175, maybe just a tad brighter. Great playing.

Medblues, I've seen Mason Razavi's youtube vids with the 5th Ave. Another great player he is ... and the natural finish on the one plays is my preference as well.

IMO, on an archtop the only pickup better than a P90 is a Charlie Christian. I'm trying to get as close as I can to a Barney Kessel sound when he backed up Julie London on "Cry Me A River" back in 1955.

User Info Menu

Uncle Vinnie, please let us know how you like the CC pickup, if and when you install it. While I don't have a problem with the stock Godin floater on the Jazz, the CC sounds interesting...

User Info Menu

You'll be pleased with the Biltoft CC pickup.

I had one on a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic, it really made the guitar. The acoustic sound was not overly inspiring, but from a laminated small guitar was still respectable. The CC pickup turned it into a top notch electric jazz guitar. Like a dope, I sold it. Would love to get it back some day.

User Info Menu

After a long absence from this forum , I'm back.

Had a bad experience almost 10yrs ago with 2 Eastman archtop guitars with bad finish issues within 6 months of owning them. Sold them and stepped away from jazz.

I've spent the last 4-5 years down in the classical guitar playing rabbit hole.

But I always kept my Godin strictly acoustic archtop. Recently stumbled on a used but just about new Blonde Godin jazz guitar for sale locally. It took me less than 10 minutes with it to hand over the money.

Wow, I've had it for almost 2 months now and still love it.

FWIW All those years of focusing on left & right hand technique in classical have paid off. Jazz fingerings are so much easier now.

User Info Menu

This is a real old thread but I am going to give it to Godin. The guitars are really ugly and uninspiring to play. They play ok but frankly there are hundreds of guitars I would rather play for jazz. In fact I would not pick one up to play anything on them. I just don't get the excitement of these guitars or why they are even popular and sell. Yes my opinion probably in the minority.

User Info Menu

I have both the Godin, and also plywood Eastman 371 and carved Eastman 810.

I love the Godin, because its mojo and mood. I mean it has a real expression power, some traces of music are discoverable (at least for me :-) when I play. However if one is not interested those things may find the sound boxy, compared to the Eastmans. Through the amp: P90, not a typical jazz tone.
    Again I do love it.

The 371 is the poor mans 175 as one can expect. I also love it. Acoustically surprisingly open, through the amp is dark. I also can make it sing sometimes, so really enjoy play on it.

Surely my mistake, the lack of technique and appropriate repertoir I can not love the 810. It has wonderful tone, but somehow I can not really enjoy while playing... (is she too much for me? :-)

Regarding playability all the three excellent instruments.

User Info Menu

Your opinion is important to you. We all have specific thoughts on guitars and sounds.

For me, the Godin Jazz is the perfect guitar for my playing & my wallet. After my bad experience with Eastman, I wouldn't ever consider buying another. Never could bond with the epiphone or ibanez neck shape. The majority of others are way out of my buying ability and my personal needs.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    This is a real old thread but I am going to give it to Godin. The guitars are really ugly and uninspiring to play. They play ok but frankly there are hundreds of guitars I would rather play for jazz. In fact I would not pick one up to play anything on them. I just don't get the excitement of these guitars or why they are even popular and sell. Yes my opinion probably in the minority.

User Info Menu

I just don't get the excitement of these guitars or why they are even popular and sell.
    They are good quality, inexpensive and not made in China.

User Info Menu

I have a Kingpin. It's fine for what it is. Makes a great backup to my more expensive instruments that I might not want to take to an unknown AirBNB for EG.

User Info Menu

Which Godins have you played?

User Info Menu

I have a Godin, the one with the single neck p90. I changed out the tuners for some white button klusons, as well as replaced the pickup with a Fralin noiseless p90. It is a wonderful guitar, with a great smoky and warm sound.

However, if I were to do it over again, I’d get an Eastman. I think they are making some great guitars these days. I really like the t64v….which is a 330 style guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I have a Kingpin. It's fine for what it is. Makes a great backup to my more expensive instruments that I might not want to take to an unknown AirBNB for EG.
    I agree with the above. I don't know what would really be any better for the money. Especially that are still being made, as the Epi 175's are not currently in production. You have your Epis and Ibanez of course. I wouldn't say they are better than the Godin.

There's Peerless, but their prices have gone up over the last few years and aren't readily available.

What I like about the Godin are the neck and size. Nice acoustic sound, and warm if undistinguished sound plugged in. Plus I personally like the satin finish especially on the neck. Much preferable to thick glossy poly IMO.

User Info Menu

I like that Godins feel like honest instruments. They are relatively bare bones finish wise to hit a price point, and you can tell all the cost goes into what really matters: sound and construction. They are the opposite of the modern D'Angelicos which I find are gaudy and ostentatious yet play, sound, and feel much cheaper than their asking price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I have both the Godin, and also plywood Eastman 371 and carved Eastman 810.
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue Jazz - Your Thoughts?-plywood-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

my ignorance, mixing plywood vs laminated. Eastman 371 is laminated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    my ignorance, mixing plywood vs laminated. Eastman 371 is laminated.
    Just joking. When a person likes a guitar, it's laminated. When he doesn't, it's plywood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    While there is some truth to this, 5th Avenues are great instruments that happen to be relatively inexpensive. Unlike some comparative instruments at their price point, the Godins don't try to be anything they're not. They just have their own vibe going on. Some like it, some don't.

I often take one of my 5th Avenues out to a gig (I have four different versions) just because I like it, even though I have other guitars, like a very nice ES-175. On the other hand, it is nice to have an inexpensive guitar to grab when the environment is going to be tough. For example, tonight I am playing a winery gig and it is forecast to be a high of 102 degrees (F) here in Northern California. I'll be grabbing a 5th Avenue to save my 175 the indignity of all the sweat and grime, but I think it says a lot that I won't feel especially deprived or like I'm missing something.