The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64
    Quote Originally Posted by p1p

I believe that's a Squier Bullet.. "cheap imported guitar"
    When my son came home from school and proclaimed that he wished to own a Telecaster I was a little shocked. I’m sorry if I offend anyone with these comments. I really had no idea of their popularity in jazz. You see, I have not bought a guitar for myself in almost 25 years. I’ve owned 3 brands along the way. Gibson, Charvel and Jackson. I obsessed over each purchase and still have them all. I can never recall even contemplating the idea of owning a Telecaster. I was not a fan of Springsteen or Townsend(my era). I certainly wasn’t a country fan, even though I’ve skinned more bucks and run more trotlines than most folks. But like a Catholic parent who’s child brings home a Protestant, tolerance and unconditional love is paramount. I decided to dive into the Telecaster world. Something I know very little about. What I ‘m learning is that the instrument is commonly thought of as a utilitarian piece of equipment. A rugged road ready warrior designed for abuse. Not only that but credit is given to those who resist the temptation to try to buy a high end example. It’s way more cool to play a Squier or less expensive version that a limited edition or something custom. Definitely a little different than your typical Gibson snob crowd. I guess I still have a lot to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I've owned some good guitars and right now my main one is a MIM Fender Tele Thinline. Made in around 1999.
    I've put a little money into set up, shielding and an upgraded neck pup. It's a great guitar and everybody who sees and plays it loves it. I think you can find them for under $500.
    I have a '98. Better neck than anything in the MIA line, and a good neck is my biggest requirement. I've had soom good MIA Fenders too, but none have matched my thinline.

User Info Menu

OK, so although this doesn't have all the specs you mentioned in your other post, you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer guitar, at this price, from grandma to your son than this one (from CB Hill in Southern California):

2008 CB Hill Speedster Trans White | Guitars of the Hegemony | Reverb

No affiliation with the seller, but I know CB, and his guitars are fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    OK, so although this doesn't have all the specs you mentioned in your other post, you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer guitar, at this price, from grandma to your son than this one (from CB Hill in Southern California):

2008 CB Hill Speedster Trans White | Guitars of the Hegemony | Reverb

No affiliation with the seller, but I know CB, and his guitars are fantastic!
    Beautiful Guitar

User Info Menu

Your son could have 2-3 styles of guitar for $2000. Or even 1-2 plus a good AMP. That way he'd have infinite time to play and experiment.

He may not even like the Tele after some time with it. It is a thing of it's own. I've had and played all styles of guitar, high end archtops, cheap solid bodies..

If I had $2000 to spend, I'd get a MiM Standard Tele and a Blues Junior, a good setup, good patch cables, even a pickup upgrade.

Edit: You could even throw in the Yamaha THR10C. I use it every day to practice with headphones when necessary, and use it as a stereo with my laptop. There's also 5 or 6 excellent amp models, which may help with deciding which way to go with a quality amp in the future. I highly recommend this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I have a '98. Better neck than anything in the MIA line, and a good neck is my biggest requirement. I've had soom good MIA Fenders too, but none have matched my thinline.
    Mine's got a great neck as well. Maple. It's got a heavy bowling alley finish on it which I actually like. Poly I suppose which wears a little weird. It seems like most of the new Fender and Squire maple necks tend to have a flatter more satin finish which could be preferable for some people. I would be hard pressed to try and replace this guitar. I don't care if it was made in Somalia. I think MIM Fenders are among some of the best buys in the new guitar world.

User Info Menu

I love that Brad Paisley calls a Tele "a cutting board and broom handle screwed together..."

I think it's ridiculous to pay upwards of $2k for a Tele (or any bolt on guitar)... and this is from someone who last month was trying to sell my Emperor F to subsidize a $2k Nocaster (thanks to Greentone for delivering a little sanity to me).

I wrote in Razoback's previous thread that I just built a wonderful, personally spec'd and upgraded Road Worn Tele (including bone nut and setup) for under $1000. Literally every part on the guitar was replaced with boutique parts that I wanted except for the original neck and body (partly what I think Teles are meant for).

If you want to stretch a bit beyond the $1k mark I would look at a builder like Ron Kirn or LSL. So many great builders making T-type guitars at a reasonable price. If quality and a personally-spec'd build matter more than a Brand, you have a ton of options.

Good luck, and your son has an awesome Grandmom ;-)

User Info Menu

If the OP goes the build route I strongly suggest both a roasted maple neck and a roasted ash body, or at least a roasted maple neck. Their kid will feel like they are playing something that has been played for many years previous. Already broken in, so to speak. That said, these are projects and there are a lot of variables to play with. May not be a good idea for someone that needs to play right away.

User Info Menu

Honor your Mom's wishes.

User Info Menu

omphalopsychos: After owning many, and playing many many more guitars of all caliber, you can't say that every Fender will be predictable. They are not the same within make, model and year! I have recently read comments here and on TGP from people unhappy with recent quality from Fender.

So important to play the guitar you want to buy. Especially if you want to keep it.

I like p1p's advice. Does anyone remember how, in the early 60's, the Fender Jaguar was the "top" Fender? I had to have one because Carl Wilson had one, as well as a few others. I got one, and then sold it. The music changed and so did I. My local dealer didn't want to trade on it! He said a Telecaster was a much more useable instrument!!! Back in '67!

A young artist is going to grow physically and artistically. My grown up hands can't play on little necks (all those 60's Gibsons and Guilds that I owned ; sigh)

A Tele will be treasured for a long time. But leave room for other tastes and styles, and order a guitar that can be returned easily (like at GC). Get a good amp, not some flakey flavor of the month amp, one that suits a Tele and JAZZ.

Grandma will be glad you put thought and discretion into it. But you knew that!

Enjoy the hunt, thanks for bringing that up BigToe. Good one!

User Info Menu

You know what? Let your son drive the purchase. He can compare the specs, do his own research, make his own choice and decide what compromises he can live with. Your son seems to be most of the way there already, from what you're describing, making a matrix of the specs etc. If he wants to exceed the budget, he can put his own cash into it. This is a great musical and life learning opportunity for him courtesy of his grandmother- for when he shops for a college, a car, a house.

American made Teles are abundant both new and used. I'd think about a '52 reissue, myself, checking Craigslist, Reverb.com and the classified here. TDPRI too.

User Info Menu

I've been a professional player for 40 plus years, mostly on a Tele of some sort. Nowadays, I build my own, but last year, out of curiosity, I bought a Chinese Squier and was amazed at the quality. The woodworking was magnificent and after replacing the electronics and pickups with good American made components, it was a wonderful instrument. Don't get roped into thinking you have to spend big money to get a decent instrument, especially at your son's level. To be honest, I can't tell much difference between the Squier and the real '68 that I played for over 35 years, other than the Squier is a bit heavier. Bottom line is that there just aren't that many ways to build a Telecaster - swap out the pickups and you can get any sound you want. It may not satisfy the ego the way a Custom Shop instrument would but, but to me, that's the least important part of playing. There are instruments to impress your friends and stroke your ego but, to me, that's unimportant. I want something that is a good value, functions correctly, and is easy to play; the Squier meets all those requirements. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Good point Cunamara. What's the worst that could happen? Didn't we all stumble and make mistakes along the way. Those interruptions didn't stop me.
    Went to a big guitar show, my buddy wanted a 52 RI Tele real bad. He never had a Tele, did his research and used his ears, as to rock history and the Tele's role in it.
    We only found 1 dealer with a selection. He played a Custom Shop 52 RI and a production line model. Dealer also had a '72 Tele that was kind of "tweaked". When he asked me to manhandle the 3 and give my opinion, here are my observations: the $2000 CS shop Tele was nice, and polite, and looked nice too. The production line '52 (at $1000) was better by far. It had more soul, tone and looked almost as good as the CS. The '72 turned out to be a killer. An animal compared to the other two. R'n'R and soul. The guitar spoke. I had to have it, and my buddy bought the $1K Tele. He adores it.

I don't like CS guitars. I have tried them and tried them, even bought one once. It's been sold for a profit, but it did little for me.

I always say: "PLAY the guitars you are interested in" Choose according to sound and feel.
    If I pick up a guitar - no matter what kind (but especially in a solid body trial) I play a C on the 5th string/3rd fret. One note, moderately plucked. If I don't feel the note and guitar vibrating in the palm of my fretting hand, I put it down. Not worth my time.
    I have played expensive "builder" Teles that do not vibrate like so. Some are so good, that I feel the vibrations on my abdomen as well. Those are guitars I would consider owning. (my '72)

TBC!

User Info Menu

Yikes. A couple years ago I went to a Guitar Center and tried all 33 Teles hanging on the wall. Went home with a Squier Standard Telecaster - rosewood fretboard and alnico single coil pups. It gets dragged all over the countryside on a weekly basis to gigs and rehearsals. I use it to play everything from americana/country, blues, rock, funk, and use it in 2 jazz orchestras. Love, love, love that single coil neck pup.

I suppose an American or MIM Tele with a Fender logo on it would make some folks feel more secure... I could have afforded to get a Fender the day I bought my Squier, but why?

User Info Menu

Just as many viewpoints here as there are variations in the Tele lineup! I liked my Squier Tele too, and my Strat.

I guess the thing to do is to jump in and "roll the picks"

User Info Menu

My first Tele was (is) a Squier Affinity. $180, no case but I had a gig bag already. I'd heard Ed Bickert and wanted to explore that sort of thing but had always thought of Teles as crude and primitive, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. I did have to sort through about six of 'em before I found one without neck problems.

It sounded great. Turn the tone knob down a bit and boom, jazz Tele sound. Wow, that was simple. As time went on I upgraded the electronics to Dimarzio Area T pickups, CTS pots, 4 way switch, etc. That cost more than the guitar! But the hum stopped and it still sounded like a Tele. Played many gigs on that guitar and got many complements on the tone. Frankly I could use it as my gigging guitar for the rest of my life.

The point is that more money doesn't necessarily buy a better sounding or playing guitar with a design that is so simple. But the resale value, if that is ever an issue, of this guitar is probably $100 even with the upgrades. An American made Tele is going to hold value much, much better.

User Info Menu

Just go to a big shop with your son, play a few mexican teles with medium jumbo frets and a 9.50' radius (not my favorite on teles but suitable for most players), and buy the one you like the best! They are excellent instruments, great for a solidbody jazz tone, perfect for a serious high school student in many ways. Time will come for the better instrument down the road.. It is not gear that he should obsess with now..!

User Info Menu

As someone on the opposite side to your son...

I am mainly a guitar player, love guitars, own several guitars in several price classes. I like to nerd out on various amp features and guitar features (pickups, bridge types etc.).

I also own a squier jazz bass. It's a great bass that is a pleasure to play.

When it comes to bass, I don't nerd out as much in terms of finding "my sound", finding what strings I like, what pickups I like etc.
    I just like to play bass and enjoy making music. My squier bass is perfect for my bass needs. If I feel I want to spend more time playing bass, I can at anytime start considering upgrading my bass or buy a new one, but for now I like it very much like it is.

I know some bass players who are the exact opposite to me. They nerd out on basses and also have a guitar or two that they also like to play.

A MIM standard telecaster will definitely be great for any bassist who also likes to play guitar.
    If you want to spend a little bit more you can get a baja telecaster or a used american standard. (or elite or professional if you want to spend even more than that).
    If you want to spend a little bit less, squier classic vibe get excellent reviews everywhere (personally I'd get a squier standard tele, because I prefer their necks, and upgrade the pickups).

User Info Menu

My wife bought a tele off the Internet and it’s a great guitar.

I think for a tele it’s ok. They are pretty consistent IMO if you know what you want

User Info Menu

My Gibson 175 is my luxury.

I could do all my electric jazz gigs on a tele no problem. I could do all my gigs on just two guitars - an acoustic and a tele.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    My Gibson 175 is my luxury.

I could do all my electric jazz gigs on a tele no problem. I could do all my gigs on just two guitars - an acoustic and a tele.

Just bought this a couple days ago!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbackjazz

That’ll do the job nicely!

User Info Menu

What type of neck pickup is that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What type of neck pickup is that?
    They're mini-humbuckers...Seymour Duncan if I remember correctly.
    I have a buddy with this guitar. He's one of those guys that seems to be in every local band you go to see. He has a blues band, country band, modern rock cover band, even a gypsy jazz group...and while he has several guitars, that Hot Rod Tele seems to get most of his time. Covers a lot of sounds. Maybe not the acoustic gypsy stuff.
    Cool guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbackjazz

[snip pic of Vintage Hot Rod Tele]

A good friend of mine has one of those. It's a great guitar. I was actually going to recommend it, but those multiple conversations got so tangled that I couldn't figure out whether you were even asking for recommendations anymore. Anyway, it works really well for all kinds of stuff. Near-perfect blend of features and spec, IMO. The only thing I don't particularly like is the vintage-style slotted tuners), but, heck, who changes strings on a Telecaster anyway. That's just wrong.

John