The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper
    Being a Tele guy, I am sure you'll dig these "no thrills" style archtops! I can't wait to see some pics and hear your new Jazz box.

I'll post a pic here soon (won't hijack your thread here, though)

Still playing around with some new recording ideas-- should have something up pretty soon.

Yeah, the ES-125 is exactly the kind of archtop that speaks to me. Looks like yours is in great shape--I won't ask what you paid, but if you got the "good deal" you speak of, I might correct that text and say "STEAL!"

And yes, I'm a no frills kinda guy (that's why i liked the godin so much) and I always have my eye out for a 125 (full body depth) in good condition at a good price. The problem living in Chicago is there's plenty of them around, but they were beginner guitars, so a lot of them are beat to hell or at least need a neck re-set-- and the ones without any issues are going for close to 2K. Seems like a lot for a 125, to me.

tons of early jimmy raney vibe in those babies though, huh?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The problem living in Chicago is there's plenty of them around, but they were beginner guitars, so a lot of them are beat to hell
    They are tough guitars though. The one I had looked like it had been in a bar room brawl but it played great.

User Info Menu

I'll post a pic here soon (won't hijack your thread here, though)

Still playing around with some new recording ideas-- should have something up pretty soon.

Yeah, the ES-125 is exactly the kind of archtop that speaks to me. Looks like yours is in great shape--I won't ask what you paid, but if you got the "good deal" you speak of, I might correct that text and say "STEAL!"

And yes, I'm a no frills kinda guy (that's why i liked the godin so much) and I always have my eye out for a 125 (full body depth) in good condition at a good price. The problem living in Chicago is there's plenty of them around, but they were beginner guitars, so a lot of them are beat to hell or at least need a neck re-set-- and the ones without any issues are going for close to 2K. Seems like a lot for a 125, to me.

tons of early jimmy raney vibe in those babies though, huh?
    I always thought Jimmy played an ES-150 (At least in the 50's), but it certainly does have an "old school Jazz guitar vibe". The sound does actually remind me of Jimmy Raney and Rene Thomas, and they played 150's with CC pups...

A lot of people think they are student guitars, but the Esquire was also initially marketed as a student guitars! Also it's being played by guys like Ed Bickert, Wes, Lenny Breau, etc

I am sure you'll get the right one eventually, but that Godin seems to be a hell of a guitar for the cash and it looks killer.
    Last edited by whippersnapper; 10-23-2009 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper
    I always thought Jimmy played an ES-150 (At least in the 50's), but it certainly does have an "old school Jazz guitar vibe". The sound does actually remind me of Jimmy Raney and Rene Thomas, and they played 150's with CC pups...

A lot of people think they are student guitars, but the Esquire was also initially marketed as a student guitars! Also it's being played by guys like Ed Bickert, Wes, Lenny Breau, etc

I am sure you'll get the right one eventually, but that Godin seems to be a hell of a guitar for the cash and it looks killer.
    that's probably right, i don't know my vintage gibsons all that well--

i've seen jimmy in pics with a non-cut gibson archtop--i guess i thought the 150 had the soft cutaway.

anyway you slice it though, lots of vibe. That's awesome you found a good one at a good price. Now bring her to chicago so we can have a pint and i can try her out!

oh, not to be nitpicky, though, but the esquire was definitely not intended to be a student guitar--leo made it with cats like jimmy bryant in mind (who told him he liked the idea of a two pickup model better)

funny, if you adjust for inflation, a tele pretty much costs today what it did back then. I know the 175 in ES-175 was supposed to be the price point, right? was that the case for these other models as well? it seems like you hear stories of cats buying their first 125 for a lot less than 125 bucks...

oh, and the godin--still lovin' it. gigged it the past two weekends too (a solo gig and a big band fill in) and i gotta say, we'll see when the honeymoon's over, but my tele's got some competition.

Congrats!

I had a '58 ES-125 and a '58 ES-125T. Sure wish I still had them!

User Info Menu

anyway you slice it though, lots of vibe. That's awesome you found a good one at a good price. Now bring her to chicago so we can have a pint and i can try her out!
    Haha, sure... so long as playing some Jimmy Bryant and Jimmie Rivers tunes on Telecasters is also on the agenda!

funny, if you adjust for inflation, a tele pretty much costs today what it did back then. I know the 175 in ES-175 was supposed to be the price point, right? was that the case for these other models as well? it seems like you hear stories of cats buying their first 125 for a lot less than 125 bucks...
    I think the guy I bought it off said that principle was the same for all the ES models, but we both also thought it was odd that for just a little extra cash you could get a 175...
    Last edited by whippersnapper; 10-23-2009 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't think that your friend is correct, the 175 is the only one mentioned in my literature as being related, model to price.

Looking at later models, I can't see any connection between model numbers, quality, price, features and so forth. (For example, comparing the ES-225 to ES-175 doesn't add any support for your friend's theory.)

There WAS a story about the Super 400, though ... can't seem to locate it.

(And my Uncle still assures me that 125s went for $60 each in 1959. He and his best friend each bought ES-125/Fender Champs in Miami, that year, and played them on a local C & W tv show.)

User Info Menu

the 295 was also a guitar named by the original price.
    an extra 50$ for a cutaway and some inlay was pretty hefty jump in 1950.
    They didnt have the internet to understand all the finer differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dh82c
    the 295 was also a guitar named by the original price.
    an extra 50$ for a cutaway and some inlay was pretty hefty jump in 1950.
    They didnt have the internet to understand all the finer differences.
    Yes, forgot about that one and it is definitely model number = price ! Have you ever heard anything regarding the Super 400, how it got that model number ? If so, mind sharing ? Thanks

EDIT: Just took another look at the ES-295 and I CAN'T support the above statement, i.e. can't find the "new" selling price and frankly, why WOULD it cost more than an ES-175 ? Same guitar except for paint and a funky, cheaper combination tailpiece/bridge than the 175. What's up ?
    Last edited by randyc; 10-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Let me dig.
    295 came out with gold paint. gold hardware and TWO pickups. My foot may be in my mouth on that one.

User Info Menu

Gibson Electrics. The classic years by Duchossoir.
    Page 37, last paragraph. I have the orange book. I dont know what page on the newer editions.
    Also page 4 of Gibson Electrics, also by Duchossoir. Another 20 year old book so I dont know what page on newer editions.

User Info Menu

Yes, two pickups on the 295 in 1952 and I think the 175 didn't get two until a year later ...

But sheesh ! the 295 looks like a Barbie toy compared to the 175. I can see why it wasn't well received initially and (adding insult to injury) if they jacked up the price $120 over the 175, musicians would stay away in droves !

PS: didn't see your last post until I wrote this. Yes, price confirmed, as ridiculous as it was, compared to the 175. That weird tailpiece/bridge is off the first Les Paul, like the paint job, funky
    Last edited by randyc; 10-23-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: add PS

User Info Menu

With the passing of Les Paul a lot of stories come out of the woodwork. None have ever been very reliable so take as many grains of salt as your blood pressure allows:
    Ted McCarty: Ok, now what colour do you want this new guitar?
    Les: GOLD! Nothing says class like GOLD (how firmly his tongue was in his cheek we dont know)
    Gibson Advisor: Uh.. Mr MrCarthy Sir.. gold is a real PITA.
    Ted McCarty: Gold it is! Next?