The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

I have US6652 New york/premier ??

Indonesia 2017
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 08-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all! Newbie here, just acquired a Natural Excel EXL-1 (used) Serial number starts with US15...

Read through the previous posts, looks like it is from Unsung Korea, made in 2015. Just posting here to obtain some feedback or confirmation. This is my first D'Angelico.

Happy New Year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Maybe I missed it, but would anyone know what factory the KS would be?
    I don't see a KS
    This is from D'Angelico website
    Can I tell, by looking at the serial number, where the guitar was produced and what year it was made?

Typically, yes. The first letter indicates the location where the instrument was made, and subsequent digits indicate the year the instrument was made. Example: A serial number starting with W17 indicates the guitar was built in Korea, in 2017. See below for location initials.

i. S, US (on Excel Series guitars), W = Korea
    ii. SI, US (on Premier Series guitars) = Indonesia
    iii. C = China
    iv. NY, MB = U.S.A.

OK the first two numbers are the year.

I believe 3-6 are either day of the month made or the month made. I'm not sure what order. The last two is quite possibly the numbered unit made on that day.

Determining the origin of a guitar based solely on the serial number can sometimes be challenging, as different manufacturers may have varied coding systems. However, in your case, it appears that the serial number lacks a clear identifier for the country of origin.
    For guitars made by Epiphone, the serial number typically contains information about the manufacturing location and date. However, it's crucial to note that decoding Epiphone serial numbers might require specific knowledge about the company's coding system for the given timeframe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyb
    I don't see a KS
    This is from D'Angelico website
    Can I tell, by looking at the serial number, where the guitar was produced and what year it was made?

Typically, yes. The first letter indicates the location where the instrument was made, and subsequent digits indicate the year the instrument was made. Example: A serial number starting with W17 indicates the guitar was built in Korea, in 2017. See below for location initials.

i. S, US (on Excel Series guitars), W = Korea
    ii. SI, US (on Premier Series guitars) = Indonesia
    iii. C = China
    iv. NY, MB = U.S.A.

OK the first two numbers are the year.

I believe 3-6 are either day of the month made or the month made. I'm not sure what order. The last two is quite possibly the numbered unit made on that day.
    My EX-DC (Excel series) begins with an “R" (followed by 05) and is labeled “Made in Incheon” (a city in Korea). According to this site: D'Angelico | Samick Wikia | Fandom

that means made in Korea by SPG in 2005. SPG is a company formed by ex-Samick employees to take over the Samick factory in Korea after Samick moved guitar production to China.

The D’Angelico brand was bought by John Ferrolito (co-founder of Arizona Iced tea) in the early 2000s. This version of the company made guitars between ca. 2005 and 2008 and shut down (after blowing about all their inventory at about 1/2 price). They re-started production briefly with designs tweaked by Bill Comins a couple of years later.

They shut down again, then Ferrolito sold the company to a partnership headed by his son. The current website only has info about models produced under Ferrolito Jr.’s ownership.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-29-2024 at 09:52 AM.