The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I am thinking about upgrading the pickups in my Ibanez AF125 Custom.

I am leaning toward the Seth Lovers, but am also looking at the Bartolini Jazz Set. Do any forum members have any experience with them? Comments, observations, critiques welcomed.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bartolini have a well deserved reputation, I had some 35 or so years ago - no idea of model. The general perception of them by the public at large if you will is that they make great pick ups that are difficult to find a retailer to sell them to you(in the US).

User Info Menu

Only experience of the 5J. One of the finest floaters I've owned. Best of luck!

User Info Menu

I have a 5J on my Godin 5th Ave Jazz, quiet at idle and very jazzy.

User Info Menu

I originally had a single Bartolini soapbar on my Novax AX-6 (semi-hollowbody); Ralph (Novak) really likes Barties, since he's going for a clean, pure sound with the fanned fret design, and the pickups deliver!

This may sound funny to some on a "jazz guitar" site, but for me, the pickups were … too clean and pure! I had a friend (who no longer makes pickups, unfortunately) make a standard P-90, and I've been much happier! The P-90 is responsive to touch, and can be clear and lovely, and when you dig in for bluesier tunes, it can grind!

Barties are great, especially if you like clean!

Here's a Novax solid body with Barties, just to hear a range of sounds:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    The general perception of them by the public at large if you will is that they make great pick ups that are difficult to find a retailer to sell them to you(in the US).
    Maybe less hard to find today, as you can even get them from Guitar Center.

I think most of the Bartolini sales have been electric bass pickups, and the guitar stuff is still much lesser seen.

The black ABS covered humbuckers look cool, but if they got scratched up I think worn plastic somehow appears worse to me than nickel or gold plate after the same wear & tear. Perhaps not an issue on my Jazz guitars with heavier strings, but on the solid bodies with 10-46 strings I can see the pickups getting hit more.
    The covers are epoxied on, so there's no replacing them.

I wonder if their 48/51 "Vintage" HB set would be appropriate for archtops if/when their "Jazz" set was to sterile? I was thinking of pairing a bridge Bartolini with my neck Lollar CC HB, as I'm not anxious to purchase another CC for that bridge spot that barely gets used.

John

User Info Menu

Bartolini is local to me and I have a buddy that works over there. I ended up with a PBF in the neck of my tele. It's a great pickup.
    I have Seth Lovers in my Heritage 535 and PRS Mira semi-hollow. They're great pickups, too.
    For a "vintage", unpotted, PAF-ish type thing, I like the Seth Lovers. Obviously, I have them in 2 guitars, so I'm a fan.
    The Bartolini is potted...which can be handy at times. More focused. It sounds great with flats.
    Hard to say what is best for the OP.

User Info Menu

I always forund Bartolini's to rather flat sounding, which could be a good thing. Love the bass pickups they make. Don't know if they intentionally make them flatter response to go with their preamp?

User Info Menu

Very pleased with the Bartolini floater on my 1990 Benedetto Cremona. Paired with my Evans JE 200 I am happy with the tone.
    Of course it is installed on a outstanding instrument...
    Attached Images Attached Images Bartolini "Jazz Set"-bspring-jpg 

Thank you, gentlemen for your wise counsel. I am leaning toward the Seth Lovers.

User Info Menu

Seth Lovers are PAF lower output style pickups that sound excellent. They will definitely give you in a traditional Jazz Humbucker tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Very pleased with the Bartolini floater on my 1990 Benedetto Cremona. Paired with my Evans JE 200 I am happy with the tone.
    Of course it is installed on a outstanding instrument...
    that's one heckuva piece of property. the guitar's not bad either!

ST, you are livin' the high life!

User Info Menu

I owned two Novax guitars with Bartiloni PUPs. Very Hi-fi. I give them a thumbs up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    that's one heckuva piece of property. the guitar's not bad either!

ST, you are livin' the high life!
    Thanks B2B. I love the joint. The property goes to the white fence, on the other side is the 13th fairway of a golf course. Lot size is 1/2 acre, which is just right.
    I'm happy the BC gets gigged out, talking to Bob B the Bartolini was his go to floater for many years. I agree with SS and others-very hi-fi, low noise, reliable and clean. Never really thought of replacing it.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

I recently bought and returned a Bartolini 5J. I had to wait for a month while it was on backorder. When it arrived I was particularly disappointed with the mounting bracket which was poorly anodized with a dingy brass finish that was inconsistent, got dingy looking with handling, wouldn't clean up, and just looked bad. Add to that, the bracket was mounted backwards on the pickup at the factory, so that if you mounted it to the guitar the logo would be upside-down. IMO a polished brass finish or a black finish would have looked much better. Granted, that problem with the backwards bracket could be easily fixed by removing the bracket from the pickup and reversing it, but I thought that both problems suggested an overall problem with quality and attention to detail. I never even bothered to mount it, back it went.

I'm excited! Purchased a set of Bartolinis yesterday from MF. PBF 55 neck an PBF 57 bridge.

They should be here Wednesday or so. Will post my opinions after I've played them for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    I'm excited! Purchased a set of Bartolinis yesterday from MF. PBF 55 neck an PBF 57 bridge.

They should be here Wednesday or so. Will post my opinions after I've played them for a while.
    That PBF55 is the one I have. I expect you'll like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred

Fred, what are your thoughts on the Bartolini set you got?

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

Years ago I had a set of their P 90 replace nets in a a Historic Gibson Les Paul Historic Special. They were really good pickups, but a bit too flat or neutral sounding to my ears.
    That can be a great thing depending on your instrument and tastes. But I guess I was used to eq of older pickups.