The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Trust me my Gibson’s now are bone stock. Yes I go with the flow. I don’t live in the past.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Trust me my Gibson’s now are bone stock. Yes I go with the flow. I don’t live in the past.
    I think "living in the present" is way, way over-rated. Just sayin'

BTW I had to ask my publisher to send me a case of "author copies" of my commentary that I promised you. Soon as it arrives, your copy will be out to you.

User Info Menu

wd-40 is a water displacer...it removes water and therefore prevents rust..it can also gunk up and attract dirt

for a lube, you want dupont teflon lube...

tho nine times out of 10 it's not a lube problem

the gears are not machined as well as they should be..high gear ratio..so there is play in the gears teeth...

lube wil prevent them from getting worse, but not cure

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Wow, Joe, you definitely have that classic sound! Terrific playing. Beautiful guitar. Almost makes me want to look at archtops again. Almost.
    Thank you Joe!
    And I will get a Tele!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe
    Hearing you play always reminds me of the kind of playing I have always wanted to excel at. You have also inspired me to commit at some point to learning either a Joe Pass or Johnny Smith tune. I'm thinking about Joe Pass's "Here's That Rainy Day" on Virtuoso. But I haven't had the courage just to start...

... I need to watch more of your clips!

Super sound, wonderful playing. Johnny Smith never had such an able tribute.
    Lawson, you’ve had the patience to become a leader in your illustrious profession. Once you put your mind to this, you will ace it too.
    Thanks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Joe, I could as well as you if I did nothing else in my waking life and if I had some talent. Those are my only two barriers.
    Please don’t do that! You need to continue being savior to all the hundreds of people who count on you.
    And you have the talent. When it means the most to you, you will surpass anyone. You’ve proven that sir.
    thank you MG.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah, that's thesonofmybitch!
    And that plus the double stops on T42 are the best parts of each song!
    We'll have to ask the author of Moonlight in VT.(the JS bio) about those two.
    Yeah, good idea. He did a nice job on Shenendoah.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    Indeed. The problem is that, like curling as a sport, Joe’s sound seems soooooo do-able. Then you try it and see how much work it is really.

So it is graspable and unexpectedly humbling at the same time.

Which I suppose is what “great” really should mean.
    Hey Chris, that was really nice of you to say that.
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    they are excellent tuners Joe, but a zillion yrs of inactivity and dried out grease is not a good combination regardless of the type of tuner.
    Yeah buddy, you are probably right.

User Info Menu

The WD40 trick is not to lubricate. Its thinness will hopefully seep into the tuner and soften the hardened grease making the tuner easier to turn. You cannot disassemble a Sealfast and properly grease it or clean it period. The trick is to soak them for a couple days and every few hours turning them back and forth and then back to soaking them. Your goal is to soften the hardened grease is all without causing any plating damage. Joe give it a try on your worst tuner. Make sure it is completely submerged. Once that old grease is softened up you will be good to go.

I get my tips from my luthier Frank Ford of frets.com
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 02-27-2018 at 02:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Fortunately, the GJS never had a volute, no matter what the era of Gibson ownership.
    I'm also PROUD owner of a 76 GJS with a volute. I really like this guitar, agree with Joe - it makes me feel as being in total command - and this even though i didn't remove the "fretless wonder" frets. (hmmm ... there must be something wrong with me ;-)

The Gibson Johnny Smith-foto-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I'm also PROUD owner of a 76 GJS with a volute. I really like this guitar, agree with Joe - it makes me feel as being in total command - and this even though i didn't remove the "fretless wonder" frets. (hmmm ... there must be something wrong with me ;-)

Attachment 51096
    Thank you, JN! I really appreciate the photo. I wondered how they would handle the stinger. I see that it’s by making it actually not exactly a stinger. This is very educational.

My unofficial sampling is now at 2 out of 11 Norlin era GJS with a volute.

User Info Menu

The Gibson Johnny Smith-foto-jpg
    No there is nothing wrong with you at all.
    You have plenty of other high end guitars that have higher and wider frets. You are keeping the GJS's originality and that will no doubt enhance its re-sale value to a collector.

I am actually disappointed that I don't have the only GJS with a volute. I am not "special" anymore..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    No there is nothing wrong with you at all.
    You have plenty of other high end guitars that have higher and wider frets. You are keeping the GJS's originality and that will no doubt enhance its re-sale value to a collector.

I am actually disappointed that I don't have the only GJS with a volute. I am not "special" anymore..

Joe D
    Joe i didn't keep the originality one hundred percent. I moved the strap pin to a position where it feels much more comfortable for me. This little change improved a lot for my playing ease. I'm now even thinking of installing the tapastring vintage jack which i ordered long ago but was not yet brave enough to do. And i think i wouldn't profit from the higher resale value anyways as i see no reason to sell it.

Sorry to make you feel "unspecial". But if this helps any, we all know you have the only SUNBURST GJS with a volute.

User Info Menu

Joe i didn't keep the originality one hundred percent. I moved the strap pin to a position where it feels much more comfortable for me. This little change improved a lot for my playing ease. I'm now even thinking of installing the tapastring vintage jack which i ordered long ago but was not yet brave enough to do. And i think i wouldn't profit from the higher resale value anyways as i see no reason to sell it.

Sorry to make you feel "unspecial". But if this helps any, we all know you have the only SUNBURST GJS with a volute.
    Good one JazzNote.
    i like the barberpole neck on yours. Wow!
    i wouldn’t attempt the installation of the tapastring. I watched my tech install the endpin jack on my L7c. That end block was VERY hard wood. It might have been walnut. The bore tool had smoke coming off of it.
    I know the tapastring uses a smaller hole but that didn’t look like something I was willing to do.
    Good Luck with it.
    Joe D