The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger on a new red Peerless Leela today. Since I got it for an obscene price, I'll learn to live with the scarf joint (hopefully, the sunburst will cover it mostly.) Should be here Thursday at the latest - pics to follow.

What strings work well, flats or rounds? I'm thinking 12's or 13's. Not much into paying the price for TIs.
    Last edited by Skip Ellis; 09-05-2019 at 08:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer roundwound strings for archtops. But you will find many who prefer flats. It's entirely a personal choice, so my suggestion would be to try both. You can get decent roundwounds for the price of a burger, and add the cost of fries and you can get flats.

User Info Menu

If you want the thunk and "smooooth" together with longer shelf-life, no finger noise and less fret-abrasion then get the flats.
    For more sustain, brilliance and "chink" the roundwounds are a better choice. I have put heavy half-rounds on my Super-400
    for the past couple of years and the compromise is working for me.

User Info Menu

Excellent guitars. Good choice. I'm sure you'll like it. Experiment with strings.

User Info Menu

Quality aside, I REALLY like the look of the bare board with the little adronment at 12.

User Info Menu

One of the big vendors is selling a 40th anniversary Leela guitar. Says it's a limited edition of 50? Has "40" on the ebony fretboard.

Is this NOS? I would assume so since Peerless is beyond 40 years old now. The reviews appear to be from 2012.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    One of the big vendors is selling a 40th anniversary Leela guitar. Says it's a limited edition of 50? Has "40" on the ebony fretboard.

Is this NOS? I would assume so since Peerless is beyond 40 years old now. The reviews appear to be from 2012.
    I think it's a limited edition (50) of a 40th Anniversary guitar. I don't care for the '40' inlay and got the regular model which is thinner, I believe. Not sure why this particular big box store has these as they're not known for selling this brand although, I think, Peerless may have produced some of their 'house brand' guitars at one point. I just know that I got it for an absolutely obscene low price due to their published price and a further Labor Day discount. I don't normally care for the Peerless neck scarf joint but for the price, I'll learn to love it. We'll see when it gets here.

User Info Menu

Sam Ash has been blowing these out for $999 for many months. But I've only seen them in red. Very much like the Peerless Cremona's with a few cosmetic differences. I've never owned a bad Peerless.

User Info Menu

Though some might consider scarf joints unsightly, I understand they form a very strong joint.

Good show.

User Info Menu

Rec'd my Peerless Leela today and must say I'm quite disappointed and will be returning it. Besides the neck being a lot chunkier than I was expecting, the electronics were DOA - not a peep could I get out if it and the action was high with the bridge adjusted all the way down, plus the top section of the bridge is leaning forward. I really don't want to put money into having the bridge base cut and reshaped and the wiring sorted out and there's nobody around here that I would trust to work on it anyway. Not sure I could get used to the big neck either, so back it goes. I was looking forward to it but I guess it's not to be. Pretty guitar, though. Back to my Teles.......

User Info Menu

That's a pity. Mine had none of the issues you mention. Strange.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    That's a pity. Mine had none of the issues you mention. Strange.
    I kinda decided to get it based on your vids - yours sounded great. The acoustic sound of this one is somewhat akin to a cardboard box. This is the second guitar I've bought online from Sam Ash (Ibanez AS153 was the other) that had to be returned. I don't think anybody checks these over at all. The guitar and case were in one of those triangular type boxes that was taped shut and stuck in a regular guitar box. I think the interior packing might have been original from Korea. I'm sure buying from Guitars and Jazz would have yielded a different result but the 36 month payment deal from SA made this very desirable. I know you can't expect a perfect setup from a big box store, but the guitar should, at least, be playable and function. Oh, well.........Jim Soloway has given me permission to build my version of his great 'Loon' guitar so that'll keep my mind occupied.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me the thickness of the neck, I know the nut size but I need to know the
    thickness at the first fret. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I've never played
    a Peerless and there are no dealers where I live. So I'm trying to get more info on their
    necks.

Thanks a lot !!!!!

User Info Menu

Fred, this is an old(ish) thread. I sold this guitar. It was very good, but I wanted a more acoustic sound, and am now happy with the Eastman 503CE (carved top) with the Creamery CC pickup