The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Yes, I read that. Shows the model means a lot for them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rob,
    I saw a couple of those at Guitars n Jazz and was really impressed with the whole guitar. Outstanding fit and finish. I am not one to go into a music store and start playing guitars I have no intention of buying but I really wanted to play one of those. The Jazz City too.
    Your particular guitar is classic. Me and Vinny were talking about this a couple of weeks ago. When you combine wine red with gold, something special happens.
    When YOU say something is good, then I'll buy it. I hope you keep it when the big girl comes home. Its nice to have a variety of nice guitars. It keeps you young. It keeps you sharp. Engaged..
    I am happy for you Rob.
    We all are. #1 class all the way.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

With all my respect, it is not a cheap guitar (near 2000 euros). A guitar that price should be always great.

User Info Menu

With equal respect, I never said it was cheap. It is certainly less expensive than the 175, for me about one third the price. Even the full retail price is much less than the 175, but there is nothing cheap about the guitar.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Rob. Every time I see one for sale, I have a difficult time turning away from it. I have only heard great things about the Leela regarding playability, tone and craftsmanship. Very much looking forward to hearing you play it - -amped and acoustically???

User Info Menu

Rob, is yours one of the 40th anniversary models? It's beautiful.

User Info Menu

I've no idea. How would I know? Wasn't mentioned on the Ivor Mairants website.

User Info Menu

I believe it would have a 40th in script on the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Then no. Just the rubbish plebian one

User Info Menu

This was recorded for a webpage I'm putting together on the English sometime jazz guitarist, Ivor Mairants. It's from a book called Eight World-Famous Melodies - based on the harmonies of George Shearing. More about that when I finish the article.

This time I recorded without a mic, just straight into a hard-disk recorder. So you are not hearing any of the acoustic quality of the guitar. A balance of both would be ideal, I suppose, but not possible with my recording equipment.

It's a wonderful guitar to play, though this arrangement is not easy, and had me tested at a couple of points. It's a good arrangement, though. There is a 2nd-guitar part which helps fill out some of the Shearing-style harmony.

Comments welcome, pro or contra.

User Info Menu

Peerless Leela-sounds great!

Beautifull arrange and playing.

User Info Menu

Rob, it’s Saturday morning. I have my Starbucks coffee and my cereal. And then I listen to your beautiful video. It’s all downhill from here bro! It was beautiful. I hope you hang on to this guitar. It is a perfect compliment to the big Elf you have on the way.
    Thank you sir, I enjoyed that a lot.
    Your friend, Joe D

User Info Menu

Man- that has such beautiful ' Guitar Arrangement ' skills and aesthetic use of such skills ....

Beautiful.

I started out listening to check out the Peerless ( because they make so many Models at reasonable prices ) but got distracted by the Voicings and arrangement .....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Wonderful. That arrangement is killer and you nailed it. The Leela sounds great, even recorded directly. I look forward to hearing more, from you, from the Leela, and from Ivor Mairants' arrangements.

User Info Menu

Nicely done!

Do you have the tone (and/or volume) rolled off? And, if so, approximately how much?

(I actually appreciate hearing the guitar direct - just for the electric sound coming out of the instrument before being affected by any other electronics.)

User Info Menu

Thanks, gentlemen. It is indeed a good arrangement, and I hope someday to present you with both guitar parts. An Edinburgh-based guitarist has asked me for the score, so hopefully that will come to pass before long.

M-ster - I don't know how these things work or are meant to work, but I took cable with a 1/4" Jack into the guitar, and a split stereo Jack into the hard-disk recorder. I then made two short recordings, one with the tone at zero, one at ten. When I listened back, they sounded exactly the same , so there must be some kind of bypass happening. Next time I'll plug into an amp, as there is a fairly wide variety of tone from the one pickup. If anyone can explain in non-technical terms what was happening, please do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Comments welcome, pro or contra
    Hi Rob!

I quite liked the "thunky" quality of this new guitar of yours; however, what I hear there's not enough note separation, and seems that the first string sounds too feeble in comparison with the others.

In my opinion, the arrangement you so gently shared with us should be played either with fingers or hybrid picking, as I found that too many down strokes were employed in the arrangement, distracting me from following the melody line, which it was in itself not easy to follow for the forementioned reasons.

I tend to think that it was the non-optimal direct recording's fault, as for the performance itself, I just couldn't find fault, not even if you paid me.

That's just one man's opinion, Rob. FWIW.

You asked, remember?

Yours very truly,

User Info Menu

Hey, Kojak, no problem. Constructive criticism is the best kind. Yes, the first string could have been louder. Mea culpa. The guitar came set up with 13s, but they were too thick for me. I was hoping for 12s, but the shop only had 11s. I think 12s would best suit us both. As for the technique, it was written specifically for plectrum. Take your objections up with the late Mr Mairants...is he listening? Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    it was written specifically for plectrum. Take your objections up with the late Mr Mairants...is he listening? Cheers.
    I heard it again. And again one more time. For a grand total of eight times.

Nothing to do; I still think it could be rendered "better" in fingerstyle, despite the late Mr. Mairant original intention haunting me from beyond the grave.

Maybe is the classical guitarist in me, wanting a comeback after almost fifty years since the graduation from the conservatory? Dunno. Weird. And what bothers me the most is that I just can't tell if my problem is too many drugs or simply not enough drugs?

Only time will tell...

User Info Menu

Lovely playing Rob, as always. I find the direct sound to be balanced and creamy - a small amp mic'ed behind the sofa mixed might add a little sparkle in one channel, and a nice condenser for the acoustic signal in the other with the direct signal up the middle would be my ham-fisted home-studio production approach. It's a fine recording as it is. Charley seems enchanted, and that's what counts! Congratulations again on your fine instrument, and thanks for this video!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    The Peerless factory seems to be producing nothing but winners for quite some time now.

However, I have the impression that's always been a bit underrated in this forum... so what's your take? Is it just me with this impression?
    From someone whose owned some dozen or so Peerless guitars your "impression", IMO, is valid. But that's the attitude toward almost any Asian guitar outside of some of the Ibanez line. But the Sadowsky which IIRC is largely made in Japan, is largely accepted. It's sort of a schizophrenic acceptance that goes on. I appreciate all guitars, without bias, for what they are, making music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    From someone whose owned some dozen or so Peerless guitars your "impression", IMO, is valid. But that's the attitude toward almost any Asian guitar outside of some of the Ibanez line. But the Sadowsky which IIRC is largely made in Japan, is largely accepted. It's sort of a schizophrenic acceptance that goes on. I appreciate all guitars, without bias, for what they are, making music.
    When Doc Dosco first introduced them ( way before they appeared at Guitars 'n Jazz ) and shortly before I initially introduced them here in France, you would think they were from outer space for some folks. Now, one might be forgiven for thinking that the marque was somehow the personal property of this talking shop. I am mindful too of the over the top reaction I got when bringing Fibonacci to the attention of the forum. Watch this space.

User Info Menu

A terrific arrangement wonderfully played, Rob... thanks for sharing this! To my ear it suits the plectrum style quite well.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a sound. I have admired
    your sound on other videos and this one surprises me because the guitar has a distinctive sound in addition to your sound which comes through on every video you post. Sounds like a great jazz guitar - I really need to check out Peerless because I’ve only heard good things about them. Thanks for sharing the video, and nice playing and arrangement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Cheers, Rio. Glad you like it. It does have a distinctive sound, but at no time did I feel it was playing me, if you see what I mean. Highly recommended guitar!