The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I would agree with everything Stringswinger said about "bests" for acoustic and electric archtops...if I had never played a 20s Gibson L5.

The early L5s from the 20s are simply fantastic sounding acoustic instruments. I say this having never played a Loar-made L5, but only '28 and '29 versions. They were awesome enough.

If I had to get by with a single guitar, I would want it to be a 17" archtop...but it could be a 16" Gibson L5 instead.

You'd swear the 16" L5 guitars have reverb. I know that's not possible, but it almost sounds that way.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I have played a Loar signed example and a 28. Amazing guitars. The 16 inch L-5's from the 30's have not been quite as impressive to me. But a 20's L-5 is the best of the best.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sweet axe ! I would love a 54.....my birth year. What he said about Jimmy is only partly true. Jimmy preferred thin frets only on non amplified archtops with .014’s. Anything lighter gauge he called hairs. 012’s were a mortal sin in his eyes. I really don’t think Jimmy liked amplified archtops much at all. I had to beg him to put a pickup on mine and he wasn’t happy about it at all. He believed carved should be acoustic and only plywood amplified.
    I noticed the serial number on Peter’s guitar was in the range for a 1952, rather than 1954. I was particularly interested because I have an L5 that my father bought, new, in early 1955 and it has a serial number very close to Peter’s. That has always been confusing to me, so I asked Peter if he had information to suggest that range of numbers was used into 1954. He said that after he recorded the video, he found out his guitar was actually a 1952. That makes sense, but I am still confused about when mine was made. I wish I could confirm it was made in ‘54 because that’s my birth year too!
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sweet axe ! I would love a 54.....my birth year. What he said about Jimmy is only partly true. Jimmy preferred thin frets only on non amplified archtops with .014’s. Anything lighter gauge he called hairs. 012’s were a mortal sin in his eyes. I really don’t think Jimmy liked amplified archtops much at all. I had to beg him to put a pickup on mine and he wasn’t happy about it at all. He believed carved should be acoustic and only plywood amplified.
    You're probably right about Jimmy not liking carved amplified. He helped design the B-120, which is a plywood laminate electric archtop, with Roger Borys.
    They went into business together later making the D'Aquisto Jazzline, which I've never seen, but I'm assuming was a plywood amplified.
    PR is a real pro; we did the Al Martino Show together, and he warned me about a difficult solo in one of the vamps that went on forever. Any other guitarist would've left me hanging in the wind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    PR is a real pro; we did the Al Martino Show together, and he warned me about a difficult solo in one of the vamps that went on forever. Any other guitarist would've left me hanging in the wind.
    Pros get paid to play for the project. It bears repeating, and is frequently forgotten. Ensembles that don't work together don't last long, nor should they.

I was fortunate to be a long time personal friend of Jimmy D'Aquisto. Yes -he used thin frets on all his guitars. Thin frets have less deviation of pitch as a thin fret has a better point of intonation. It is also very personal as each person fingers the board differently. Hope that helps.

I spoke to the original owner of the L5--he accurately informed me it is a 1952 model. Thank you for your kind words.

I really like your explanations concerning the wood and frets. You said it clearly and with knowledgeable insight. Thank you for the clarity. Peter Rogine

Good fortune with your Excel --they are great instruments. Since I am located in the NY metro area I saw that many players had the Excel model with a DeArmond pickup or the Gibson Johnny Smith floating pickup. You could use them on low volume gigs and sessions.

User Info Menu

Thanks for joining us, Peter! Your contributions here, and in your excellent YouTube videos, are greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Wow Peter Rogine is hangin around here. Cool as! Hello Peter.

Love your playing Peter and your youtube lessons are the tops (and you seem like one super nice guy).

Cheers
    Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rogine
    Good fortune with your Excel --they are great instruments. Since I am located in the NY metro area I saw that many players had the Excel model with a DeArmond pickup or the Gibson Johnny Smith floating pickup. You could use them on low volume gigs and sessions.
    Peter, I use a Dearmond with my Excel and mostly use it for high dollar solo gigs. John D'Angelico was indeed the master.

User Info Menu

Peter, love your YouTube videos ! You are awesome. Thank you Sir. My bag of tricks is getting much bigger because of you.

God bless, Vinny

User Info Menu

Such love in this room! This is what it's all about.

User Info Menu

i haven't seen any Peter Rogine lessons posted on youtube, which I thought were great, in at least a year i think. Hope all is well with you sir.
    Last edited by Bob P.; 08-31-2019 at 03:59 PM.