The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi

what would you say are the warmest roundwound strings out there? Pure Nickel?

I have some D'darrio nickel coated. I also have some pure nickel which i haven't tried yet, Just wondering what others thought experiences have been
    Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 12-29-2017 at 10:04 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

pure nickel wrap on a round inner core...

dr pure blues, thom be-bops, pyramids

cheers

User Info Menu

I have found the eq spectrum is deceiving and relativistic... So the starting place for tonal correction through string selection has two faces to it.

Too little of something = too much of something else.
    Last edited by Tommy_G; 12-30-2017 at 08:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Easy - Newtone Archtop strings. Warm and low finger noise due to the narrow gauge outer wrap. I like them very much.

Notably warmer and much quieter than DR Pure or T-I Bebops.

User Info Menu

What neatomic said. I'm using Pyramids - .010 sets on standard and .012 or .013 for slide setups and they sound warm and fat.

User Info Menu

TI Bebop IMHO

User Info Menu

Pyramid Classic hand polished

User Info Menu

+1 for TI Bebops.

Cool, thanks for the replies

User Info Menu

What do people think of the pyramid hand polished vs john Pearse pure nickel? I’ve only tried the latter and love them.

User Info Menu

I've used GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers (10-46) for at least 25 years and love 'em. I think there's also a heavier set of 11-50. Strings and beyond carries them.

User Info Menu

Well at least for amplification situations a TONE knob should do the trick,LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Well at least for amplification situations a TONE knob should do the trick,LOL!

the tone knob only modifies what the string/pickup magnetic interface is already putting out!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Just as the player only modifies the tone with pick and or fingers. But comment was just meant in fun originally!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just as the player only modifies the tone with pick and or fingers. But comment was just meant in fun originally!

yeah i getcha!!! hah...no worries

but true..every detail counts!!... and then theres the pure magic!

cheers

User Info Menu

As much as I appreciate all the variables and fun in chasing tone. I think we would all get more mileage by simply playing a lot more, and worrying about the gear. But since gigs are so few these days, lets get back to gear,LOL!

User Info Menu

+1 for pure nickel. Although I use flat wounds on my hollowbodies and semi-hollows, I use D'Addario pure nickels (11s or 12s) on my American Standard Telecaster. I play in the jazz ensemble at the college where I teach. Sometimes on rehearsal days, I'll just grab my Tele as I head out the door. I can get a nice smooth jazz tone by rolling back the tone a bit and playing on the neck pup. The pure nickels give you a little less output then more modern strings, which may or may not be an issue.

User Info Menu

There's no way of knowing how you will react to certain string types. Some people love pure nickel the first time they try them and you may become a radical round core or hex core fanatic, or you may not feel any discernible difference between the two types. Some players complain about the squeakiness of a particular string, whereas others will wonder what all the fuss is about, or even swear that it's as quiet as a flatwound.

So, you could try all of the strings mentioned here, but if you find one that fits the bill, save time and stick with it.