The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone has played, own or have any feedback on this amp.

I've looked at old posts and saw a few posts on the Vintage Sound 20 amps, but my understanding that their "Jazz 20" is a different amp.

I'm new to Jazz guitar and currently have been using my mid 90's Blues Junior and a Eastman 503ce. All of which are fine for the near future, but like other hobbies, you are always looking for the next fun piece of equipment.

Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

20 watts, 12" speaker and 38 lbs and optional 6L6's doesn't strike me as being particularly "Princeton-style"

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The amp is a Princeton with the trannies and speaker of a Deluxe. It's a good combination. ..a Princeton with more headroom.

User Info Menu

You can get more headroom on a Princeton by changing the speaker and save yourself a bit of money.

Although I’m sure it’s a really good amp

User Info Menu

Yes...but it won't be 20-watts. Combining the Princeton pre-amp with the Deluxe power-amp is what the VS20 does. This provides the more-or-less 20-watts that the Deluxe Reverb gives you. (Fender rates it at 22-watts by having a power transformer that delivers 450-volts to the plates of the two 6V6 tubes. Hot, hot, hot.) The Princeton operates at lower voltage, producing 12-watts and a quicker onset of output distortion.

Nonetheless, both the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb are great amplifiers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Yes...but it won't be 20-watts. Combining the Princeton pre-amp with the Deluxe power-amp is what the VS20 does. This provides the more-or-less 20-watts that the Deluxe Reverb gives you. (Fender rates it at 22-watts by having a power transformer that delivers 450-volts to the plates of the two 6V6 tubes. Hot, hot, hot.) The Princeton operates at lower voltage, producing 12-watts and a quicker onset of output distortion.

Nonetheless, both the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb are great amplifiers.
    OK so a pocket Deluxe.... Interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    OK so a pocket Deluxe.... Interesting
    That's what the WonderDawg is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Hi,

I'm new to Jazz guitar and currently have been using my mid 90's Blues Junior and a Eastman 503ce. All of which are fine for the near future, but like other hobbies, you are always looking for the next fun piece of equipment.

Cheers!
    I've only heard good things about those amps.

That being said, since you're "new to jazz guitar," that seems like a pricey jump for that next, fun piece of gear! [and I'm as guilty as the next guy for checking out gear!] If you have that extra $1700 sitting around, then go for it; otherwise, there are many great amps that work for jazz for much less cash -- and some people will even recommend sticking with your Blues Junior!

I'd recommend looking around, and if you want other options, please let us know how you will be using the amp -- i.e., combo, big band, bedroom, jazz only, jazz/blues/rock, etc. etc.

Happy hunting!

Marc

User Info Menu

It's always fun to look at new gear! Even seasoned players can be seduced into that next great amp or guitar or whatever. (Guilty!)

The VS Jazz 20 is a great amp, based on what I've read. A sweet amp like that could be just the thing to inspire one to continue in the pursuit of jazz guitar. It is expensive however, so keep your eye out for other amps that suit your taste. You'll be surprised at how many very competent little amps are available these days...and a wide range of price points.

In the 20+/- watt range one of my favorites is the '80's Fender Princeton Reverb II, another 'Baby Deluxe' at 22 watts. They can be had for way under a grand on the used market.

Also, Rivera has a few amps in the 25 watt range that are priced close to the Vintage Sound Jazz 20.

Enjoy the hunt!

User Info Menu

Just saw an ad for this amp the other day, so I figured I would bump the thread to see if anyone has had anymore experience with them in the short time since last post, haha.

I'm still curious about a tube amp that can perform "double duty". Since starting to play again and taking up Jazz i find myself playing mostly playing just that, but I know I will eventually start adding some Blues to my practice again which is why I'm reluctant to consider buying a pure Jazz amp at this point. The Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue seems like it might fit the bill, but I've only mostly read about its Jazz tones. Oh well, I will continue to read and research.......

User Info Menu

I have one. I could not like it any better.

User Info Menu

I have a regular VS20. My understanding is that the Jazz model was voiced differently. Different tone stack maybe. I have a thread here that may interest you. Keep in mind I have no experience with the Jazz model.
    Princetons and archtops?

User Info Menu

Just saw an ad for this amp the other day, so I figured I would bump the thread to see if anyone has had anymore experience with them in the short time since last post, haha.

I'm still curious about a tube amp that can perform "double duty". Since starting to play again and taking up Jazz i find myself playing mostly playing just that, but I know I will eventually start adding some Blues to my practice again which is why I'm reluctant to consider buying a pure Jazz amp at this point. The Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue seems like it might fit the bill, but I've only mostly read about its Jazz tones. Oh well, I will continue to read and research.......
    It’s good with the right drive pedal...

depends on speaker choice as well. The stock one has more breakup.

User Info Menu

Princeton Reverbs are great blues amps. They overdrive nicely at a sane volume level, and I suspect far more blues and roots-rock players than jazz players use them. I have a PR, and use it for all the music I play. I find it to be the best sounding amp I've ever owned (and I've had several other tube amps). As with any amp of that wattage, the main issue is more likely to be whether it has enough clean headroom and/or overall volume for your uses than whether you like the tone for both blues and jazz.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Princeton Reverbs are great blues amps. They overdrive nicely at a sane volume level, and I suspect far more blues and roots-rock players than jazz players use them. I have a PR, and use it for all the music I play. I find it to be the best sounding amp I've ever owned (and I've had several other tube amps). As with any amp of that wattage, the main issue is more likely to be whether it has enough clean headroom and/or overall volume for your uses than whether you like the tone for both blues and jazz.

John
    Thanks for the reply, John. I am exclusively a "at home" player and very much a novice musician who is a long ways away from playing out where I would need more clean headroom. Which particular Princeton do you have? I was inching towards the '65 reissue as opposed to the '68 if i was going to go the new route. I don't know enough about amps to purchase used ones.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply, John. I am exclusively a "at home" player and very much a novice musician who is a long ways away from playing out where I would need more clean headroom. Which particular Princeton do you have? I was inching towards the '65 reissue as opposed to the '68 if i was going to go the new route. I don't know enough about amps to purchase used ones.
    I have an original '78 silverface, not one of the reissues. I've played through a bunch of the 65 reissues, and to my ears they're comparable to "the real thing." I haven't tried the 68 reissue, so I can't offer any opinions there. But I think you should be good to start out and to grow with a 65 reissue. I regularly play out with my PR (and my smaller, less loud Champion 20), and have no trouble keeping up with small groups. I spent many years using a bigger, louder amp that was complete overkill for almost every playing situation I found myself in.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 02-22-2018 at 06:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Just curious if now, 8 months later, has anyone ever tried one of these VS Jazz 20 amps?

User Info Menu

Yeah, DM, as I posted in Feb, I have one, still have it. It is still great. Had a 65 PRII right before this. I like the VS way more, warmer, lush, and clean.

User Info Menu

The VSA Jazz 20 was originally developed in collaboration with Michael Biller at soundislandmusic.com. Sound Island is no longer associated with VSA. I have a late and probably final prototype of this amp, although it’s in VSA’s “Retro” style with a tweed style chassis and controls on top. It’s possible VSA tweaked the circuit a little since building mine, so my experience may or may not be representative of what’s on the market today.

That Humbucker Music link pretty much describes mine, other than the chassis and cabinet style. It has a Princeton preamp *and* phase inverter (the Princeton had a very different phase inverter from most Fender amps). But the power transformer and output transformer are designed for the Deluxe for a bit more power. I like the addition of the mid control, although I usually leave it close to straight up. The effect of the presence control is very subtle, but it does get a little brighter when full up. It probably has more of an effect when the amp is pushed near clipping, but I never do. More about presence controls here:
    https://www.fender.com/articles/tech...trol-explained

I LOVE the reverb. It’s wonderfully dark (surfers need not apply). I make a lot of use of the dwell control to tweak the reverb for the room. Live rooms with hard surfaces require different settings than dead rooms with carpets, drapes, etc. I rarely need a tremolo and just use a cheap tremolo pedal if I need it.

Going to the larger cabinet and 12” speakers adds weight and bulk, but you have more choices in 12” speakers and it should give you more volume and stronger bass. I tried several speakers and ended up choosing the Jensen Tornado for mine, partly for the several pound weight savings due to a neo magnet. With that speaker, mine is fairly bass-heavy so I must cut the bass knob to 2 or 3. It sounds great and stays clean at high volumes. I sometimes wish for more highs though. The stock WGS speaker might supply them.

20 watts with a 12” speaker is really overkill if you mostly play in the living room, but if you play with louder bands you might like the extra muscle. I used mine a lot with big bands and never needed to drive it to clipping.k
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-16-2018 at 02:30 AM.

User Info Menu