The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 239

User Info Menu

Ah... I forgot about the cutaway. Of course. Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Medblues and Jim, I never said they were bad jazz guitars, only that there was nothing in those promo videos that would entice me, as those videos are clearly aimed at another audience. The videos you both contributed are MUCH better. Jim, you are right in saying they are on the brighter side of life than most here are looking for. I had a Godin jazz guitar with a floater, but sold it not long after buying it, and now I can't even remember its name. It was only four or so years ago. I found it lacked the particular mojo I was looking for, but I recognised it wasn't a bad guitar. Cedar inner core, if I remember correctly.

User Info Menu

aside from archtop design specs such as neck angle and thin tops, godin further emphasizes a bright/acoustic/live tone by factory equipping them with d'addario EJ21 Nickel Wound, Jazz Light, 12-52 strings..nickel plated steel..which are on the bright side of strings... flatwounds, particularly pure nickel flats (ala thomastik or pyramid) would help for a more traditional "jazz" tone and cut some of the acoustic liveness

even pure nickel rounds would be a step in the right direction

cheers

User Info Menu

I like Godin's tack. To me, they are the guitar manufacturer without the 'haircut', or with regard to jazz, without the 'hat'. They have a design philosophy and a sound concept that looks forward and encourages the musician to look inward, rather than in comparison to the crowd. Their instruments implement that vision with tasteful form and economic authenticity (consumer respect). They offer the artist a toolset, and then step aside, their role fulfilled. With regard to 'brightness', I hear instead, balanced clarity-- two different things, the former being harsh, while the latter breathes and expands the listener's sonic dreamscape beyond the typical scenarios. I suspect Godin are successful because they strive for this aesthetic unapologetically, rather than arriving at some lesser result by cutting corners in emulation of a different beast, altogether. Humility, in other words. Pride boasts of accomplishment. Humility is busy accomplishing more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    aside from archtop design specs such as neck angle and thin tops, godin further emphasizes a bright/acoustic/live tone by factory equipping them with d'addario EJ21 Nickel Wound, Jazz Light, 12-52 strings..nickel plated steel..which are on the bright side of strings... flatwounds, particularly pure nickel flats (ala thomastik or pyramid) would help for a more traditional "jazz" tone and cut some of the acoustic liveness

even pure nickel rounds would be a step in the right direction

cheers
    Great info! That was my impression when I tried them locally.... the 5th Ave, and even the Kingpin, almost sounded like acoustic FLATtop guitars instead of archtops...I never even considered how much of a role the factory strings were playing... duh...
    Last edited by ruger9; 10-29-2016 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I wanted a KPII for awhile, and got to play one locally, but never pulled the trigger. But NOW, a full-hollow archtop P90, I'm not so sure I would ever use the bridge pickup... ALL my other guitars have bridge pickups... and so am now re-considering the regular Kingpin. It's cheaper, and I like the aesthetic better.
    Just wanted to add that the bridge pickup is not routed into the top, so you could remove it with just a couple of small, fillable holes remaining.

User Info Menu

Godin chuck out a lot of different designs under different brands. Robert Godin is the Leo Fender of the 21st century.
    He's totally mastered the factory as a tool to make top quality musical instruments..

If you compare a Fender Tele or Strat to the 5th avenue series you realise the Godin stuff is well priced for what you are getting .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Thanks. I never use the bridge pickup on anything. I have the Kingpin ii because I'm not comfortable playing a guitar without a cutaway. If they offered the cutaway body with a single pickup, that would probably be my choice. I should also probably note that the used prices on these guitars is very low and living in Canada, the prices are even lower. You can pickup a Kingpin ii here for under $700 CDN (about $525 US)
    Nice demos. I agree with you that I would like to see a Kingpin II with a single pickup and cutaway. Do you prefer the P-90's or the Humbuckers?

User Info Menu

I know with my other archtops I usually do some upgrades i.e. pots capacitors etc... With your kingpins (besides professional fine tuning) do you leave it as is or do you modify it in any way?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    I know with my other archtops I usually do some upgrades i.e. pots capacitors etc... With your kingpins (besides professional fine tuning) do you leave it as is or do you modify it in any way?
    I've left both of them completely stock. I occasionally think of upgrading the pickups and/or pots in the Composer. The only thing I'd like to change on the Kingpin II is the side dots. They're way too small for my taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    Nice demos. I agree with you that I would like to see a Kingpin II with a single pickup and cutaway. Do you prefer the P-90's or the Humbuckers?
    I've gone back and forth and I've done a lot of A/B test recording. The Composer seems to record better but just playing through the amp, I lean towards the P90's. In terms of relative quality, the Composer is a much better build but I think relative to what's available, the quality of the electronics in the P90 guitar is a step up from the hum bucker guitar. There are lots of PAF style hum buckers that I suspect would be at least a modest improvement over the stock pickup in the Composer but the P90's are as good as any that I've played (at least for what I play).
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 11-01-2016 at 05:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the P90 is well suited to the Kingpin. I haven't played a Composer, but I liked the HB's on the Premiere's that I've played.

User Info Menu

I have the Composer and I like it a lot. I play a lot more swing jazz and it gets me where I need to be.

I did have to laugh when he lauded himself on the tailpiece. That is actually my least favorite part. I like the vintage Epi tailpieces much better than these.

User Info Menu

Despite the impeccable quality, feel and craftsmanship of my newly acquired (used) 5th Ave Jazz, I just can’t Seem to bond with it. The neck is wonderful and I’ve been able to dial in some tones that I dig but there is something about it that leaves me sort of cold. Firstly, I’m not a fan of blondes but the maple is really gorgeous on this guitar. Secondly, this is my first guitar with a floater and this one may just not be for me. I really had my eye on a Cognac Kingpin II because of the stellar reviews and the P90s but the chance came up to purchase the more highly rated Jazz so I jumped at the offer. The Jazz is more nicely appointed and that ebony board is just great...but it may not be enough. As it stands, I can’t make up my mind to just keep the Jazz or replace it with a Kingpin or my other highly-desired option, an AR371ce. The Jazz just doesn’t inspire me....even my Ibanez AG95 made me wanna grab it every time I would walk by.

User Info Menu

well, that's going to be your life from now on until you find that just right one. even then, you'll be looking at others, wondering...

User Info Menu

Seems that way, Ron. And it’s a good life, at that. The Jazz is great, just not right for me. I have several to try to find and play to narrow down the hunt.

User Info Menu

I felt the same way about the Jazz, and went with the Kingpin II (Cognac burst, of course!). Four years on and I still love it. Those P90s are killer.

User Info Menu

Mine became transformed after putting in a Bartolini 5J and gutting out the electronics and replacing with PEC pots.

User Info Menu

Can’t argue aesthetics at all. The Jazz is beautiful and very well made. Perhaps a pickup swap will do the trick. Wish changing the color of the guitar were that easy as well.

User Info Menu

Maybe try the pickup swap first...in the grand scheme, they're pretty inexpensive...I wonder what a Zoller floater would sound like on there!

As for the 371...I know folks love 'em, but I think it's a big step down from that Godin.

User Info Menu

I haven’t been able to find any examples of a modded Jazz with an aftermarket pickup, yet. Guess most people are fine with them as Godin sends them.

User Info Menu

After a few emails and a phone call today, I’ve managed to set up a time to test drive an AR803ce with dual humbuckers that’s owned by a semi-local guy. He’s interested in the Godin so we’re gonna try each out and maybe we’ll swap. I think they’re about fairly matched in value and have similar features that matter to me, like the wider nut, 16” size and ebony fretboard. I know the Eastman is MIC but with their generally applauded reputation I figure the quality should be close or as good in terms of construction as the Godin. At least in this scenario I’ll be able to try it on before committing. Lesson learned.

User Info Menu

i bought a 5th avenue jazz too and its sat in the case for over a year!
    Tried flats and semi rounds strings but didn't help me love it at all in fact i much prefer the cheaper Epi Emporer I bought just before which I didnt initially take to but grew on me tho wish it had a better PU.
    Very disappointed in Goldin, maybe the last time I ever buy a guitar online and untest-played.
    But all the reviews and youtube clips sounded wonderful!
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue-img_0163-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mozzfret
    i bought a 5th avenue jazz too and its sat in the case for over a year!
    Tried flats and semi rounds strings but didn't help me love it at all in fact i much prefer the cheaper Epi Emporer I bought just before which I didnt initially take to but grew on me tho wish it had a better PU.
    Very disappointed in Goldin, maybe the last time I ever buy a guitar online and untest-played.
    But all the reviews and youtube clips sounded wonderful!
    Looks just like mine. I'm not disappointed in Godin, because they make beautiful instruments and mine is no exception. I should've been more discriminating than to purchase ANY guitar before actually putting my hands on it. My Strat is a good example. I sold a fairly expensive (to me) American Strat that I had modded for a bone stock Squier Vintage Modified 70's that plays like butter. Paid $299 brand new and it outclasses my MIA by a country mile.

User Info Menu

i was so disappointed with mine i emailed godin to see if it was a factory second, the top two strings just don't sing out at all, very dead sounding, and yeah sounds nothing like the ones i heard on youtube. though it looks and feels top quality...
    Maybe the 5th avenue jazz guitars are just patchy some good, some terrible, some in between!

When I finally sell mine I think I will get a archtop with humbuckers on the sound board since i already have an Epi Emperor (floating PU) which for the first few months didn't like either but I now consider it far more usable than the Godin Jazz.
    Maybe a Eastman or a 175 style epiphone there just very very few archtops options in my city that's why i was forced to try mail order... never again though, have to treat every guitar as an individual I suppose is my lesson.