The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    It seems like every day a couple of folks on the forum announce the acquisition of a new (to them at least) archtop. Whether it's CME, or a discovery on Reverb, or wherever...

So seriously: how many NGDs have we had in the last few months?

And more importantly: Let's HEAR those new guitars sing! So many fine guitars are now in the eager hands of players, let their voices be heard!
    Guilty as charged. I picked up a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin from a fellow forumite in October. I've been playing it tons, but not recording much. Did this quick one a few weeks ago.

No other acquisitions are likely for the foreseeable future.

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some fine playing all around!

I made myself a tele this year. It has a CC pickup, does that make it an archtop?

User Info Menu

Very beutiful playing John and omph.! That Godin has a classic jazzbox tone and the Tele sounds very "acoustic"!

User Info Menu

No archtops for me, but I did buy a Simon & Patrick (Godin) dreadnought recently. Archtop or a better GJ guitar is in the plans, but I have to see what's out there first...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hey Mr Lawson-Stone,

I've scored two this year. A 1937 Gibson L50 converted into ES-150 by Daniel Slaman and an ES-350N from 1955 strictly original. They are very fine guitars, each in their own ways and for different kinds of music.

Cheers.
    Freddy Baby! You kicked ass bro.
    Great playing. Also, great representation of the sound difference between the 2 guitars.
    You don't usually HEAR the P90 in a recording. I absolutely did in your recording.
    Beautiful!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Wonderful guitars and playing, FA!

Got my Eastman AR 372 CE BD (for blonde) in August so there was a New Archtop Day for me!

The only vid / recording I have made so far:

Nice Playing TOMMO!
    One of my favorite tunes right there.
    Nice job!.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Guilty as charged. I picked up a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin from a fellow forumite in October. I've been playing it tons, but not recording much. Did this quick one a few weeks ago.

No other acquisitions are likely for the foreseeable future.
    John
    John,
    Great playing! Those Godin guitars really are full sounding. Especially in the right hands.
    Really nice John. Really nice.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Some fine playing all around!
    I made myself a tele this year. It has a CC pickup, does that make it an archtop?
    Omph,
    Wow! Really nice playing. God I wish I had your long fingers. You know what they say about guys with long fingers right? That's right, it makes stretchy chords a breeze.
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    John,
    Great playing! Those Godin guitars really are full sounding. Especially in the right hands.
    Joe D
    I agree! Playing that thing like it's supposed to be played!

User Info Menu

Hey Mr Lawson-Stone,

I've scored two this year. A 1937 Gibson L50 converted into ES-150 by Daniel Slaman and an ES-350N from 1955 strictly original. They are very fine guitars, each in their own ways and for different kinds of music.

Cheers.
    Very cool stuff Fred. The bridge pup on the ES350 has an almost acoustic/piezo (in a good way) quality. Took me a minute to grok what was going on. The L50 sounds great, too.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    John,
    Joe D
    Thank very much Joe.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I agree! Playing that thing like it's supposed to be played!
    Thanks, Jeff. You're kind of the gold standard for Godin-wrangling around here, but I'm working on it.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Hey Mr. TOMMO. I like very much your unhurry sense of tempo. Great cool playing and nice sound.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very nice sound Joe. It has this sweet attack and sound of 16" guitars. And your playing perfectly matches the sound. You have a winner combination with this guitar.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    That's a great piece of sweet playing Mr. Omphalopsychos. Exactly the type of video that makes me think I should get a Tele once in my life.

Great sound and very sensitive playing.

congrats.

User Info Menu

Hey Mr. TOMMO. I like very much your unhurry sense of tempo. Great cool playing and nice sound.

Cheers.
    Merci beaucoup!

User Info Menu

Here's my new archtop with my Friday-before-Christmas present: Bakelite ES-250 knobs.

How Many New Archtops?-img_2615-jpg

Yeah, I know the Godin is not an ES-250, or even an ES-125, but I hated the knobs it came with and was determined before I got the guitar that they'd get changed, and damned if I don't think they look beautiful. Need a 3/32" Allen key to get the little set screws tightened (already on order) and then we're off to the races. Won't torture anyone with a video until the New Year though.

User Info Menu

None the last four years and yet no GAS. Actually, kind of scary when I come to think about it. :-)