The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and fairly new to jazz. But i love playing 7 string jazz stuff. Right now I just have a super metal Schecter 7 thingy that i picked up for 200 bucks to see if i liked it and I really want a hollowbody 7. Also I'm getting lessons from Ron Eschete through my music scholarship at CSULB so that adds to it haha. He's too good. I was lookin into Raines guitars. Does anyone know anything about them? I've read some sketchy reviews and some great reviews. Or know of any other affordable 7 string jazz box companies? I'm workin with 1500 maybe 2k.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I guess no one plays seven string haha oh well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by petermelton
    I guess no one plays seven string haha oh well
    Bucky Pizzarelli does!

I have enough trouble with 6 strings, not sure I could deal with the other one...

User Info Menu

+1 on the trouble w/6. 7 definately confuses me.

There is a shop in Georgia * I think * that specializes in 7 string guitars. If I recall the owners name is Jerry Reed. He may have some used Ibanez or That Shecter semi hollow 7 string.

UPdate. I couldn't find him on Google. I have one of his arrangements. I'll look later when I get home.
    Last edited by JohnW400; 09-25-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Yeah 6 is a pain. I just love all the cool voicings you can do on 7.

Ok sweet thanks. I'll do some research on him.

Jazzarian Guest
    Hey guys I'm new to this forum and fairly new to jazz. But i love playing 7 string jazz stuff. Right now I just have a super metal Schecter 7 thingy that i picked up for 200 bucks to see if i liked it and I really want a hollowbody 7. Also I'm getting lessons from Ron Eschete through my music scholarship at CSULB so that adds to it haha. He's too good. I was lookin into Raines guitars. Does anyone know anything about them? I've read some sketchy reviews and some great reviews. Or know of any other affordable 7 string jazz box companies? I'm workin with 1500 maybe 2k.
    I hear Benedetto makes affordable 7 strings, for millionaires.

Jimmy Bruno sold his 7 string Benedetto on eBay some years back. That was one of the very best archtops I've ever heard.

Haha yeah Benedettos are like 4 grand plus. I'm thinkin of just selling a bunch of gear and buying an Eastman. I found one going for 1400!

Jazzarian Guest
    Haha yeah Benedettos are like 4 grand plus. I'm thinkin of just selling a bunch of gear and buying an Eastman. I found one going for 1400!

If you can find a real Benedetto for $4000 (real, not a Sears-Guild "Benedetto"), do anything you can to acquire it.

User Info Menu

Lots of guys play 7s like John and Bucky Pizzarelli, Ron (as you mention), Howard Alden, Bruno in the past, etc. The late George Van Eps is credited for starting the craze. Gives you more bassline options for sure.
    Or you can go the other way and get a high A string above the high E like Lenny Breau.

Of the options out there, one of the Asian makers did a ply jazz box 7 for a few years, and they can be had under a grand. I know a guy who plays a Raines 6, and it is decent. Eastman certainly, and I would check Peerless, Aria and Rondo.

User Info Menu

I would second the Eastman option although I've only played the 6 string models. Eastman makes a high quality archtop hollowbody for what I think is a very fair price. There is some variability in quality ( this is in the perspective of a high end guitar ) but the below link is to a reputable dealer in NJ who is fair and backs up their work. Yes I bought from him but no I'm not related, just happy with the guitar!! Good luck.

Guitars n Jazz

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith
    I would second the Eastman option although I've only played the 6 string models. Eastman makes a high quality archtop hollowbody for what I think is a very fair price. There is some variability in quality ( this is in the perspective of a high end guitar ) but the below link is to a reputable dealer in NJ who is fair and backs up their work. Yes I bought from him but no I'm not related, just happy with the guitar!! Good luck.

Guitars n Jazz
    I liked the John Pisano model in natural. It says it has a real spruce top?

They also make a mini-335, akin to Gibson's Es359 or CS336. I like their looks better than Heritage's copies of 335s.

Yeah its lookin like the Eastman. I just need to go play one. Peerless, Aria, and Rondo don't make 7 string hollows so scratch that. I really like the look of the Peerless guitars though. Hopefully they come out with one. I've only heard great things about them. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep shoppin around

User Info Menu

I don't play 7 string, but I've heard really good things about the Eastman El Rey ER-7. Jeff Hale sells em and actually does some extra work to balance out the weight between the neck and the body.

My guitar teacher plays 7 string and mentioned the benefits: the extra bass string, a P5 below the E and an octave below the 5th string, allows bass parts to be heard as written, as the music was intended. But to really enjoy the sonic benefits of a 7 string, you really gotta play it finger style, since you really can't skip more than one string with a pick. Its no problem for him, given that he's also a classical guitarist.

It also sounds very nice, rich and full, the bass parts really create, for lack of better words, separation between the bass and treble parts. My teacher also mentioned that, a long time ago, he tried to get Joe Pass into a seven string. Joe apparently played around with it for a couple of hours, and said something like, "I can't do it, I don't wanna relearn how to re-play everything to accomodate the 7th string"

SO, it really is a separate instrument, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    +1 on the trouble w/6. 7 definately confuses me.

There is a shop in Georgia * I think * that specializes in 7 string guitars. If I recall the owners name is Jerry Reed. He may have some used Ibanez or That Shecter semi hollow 7 string.

UPdate. I couldn't find him on Google. I have one of his arrangements. I'll look later when I get home.

It's Jerry Sims and it's South Carolina

Sims Music, Columbia, South Carolina, Instruments, Lessons, Keyboards, Guitars, Bass, Drums

User Info Menu

The Pizzarelli's both play 7 string guitars, John usually playing a Moll that is somewhat out of your quoted price range. They both play with a pick and get different results with the seventh string. Bucky will play chord solos with the 7th string giving added range below akin to playing with a bass player. The 7th string works great with 2 guitars playing as it gives the low end a boost comping but also can give a stronger percussive feel which Bucky commonly uses in his playing. John often uses a hybrid picking technique ( fingers and pick ) with his 7 string often during chord melodies or in backing his singing with great effect and the 7th string gives more range on the bass lines. There are many videos on the the internet with these two but it certainly is more impressive live! John states that once you get the hang of the 7 you'll never go back to the 6! Maybe one day I'll take his advice. Good luck!

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman 7 string and love it. After about a year and a half I'm almost into the "doesn't suck" group. Yea I would agree, once you get comfortable with it you won't go back. Eastman is probably the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel
    I have an Eastman 7 string and love it. After about a year and a half I'm almost into the "doesn't suck" group. Yea I would agree, once you get comfortable with it you won't go back. Eastman is probably the best bang for your buck.
    Ok sweet thanks. Does it feedback at all? I'm trying to find a semi hollow one with a block in it. I play with a combo at school and soon a big band so feedback is gonna be an issue. Also which model did you get?

User Info Menu

I think feedback will be an issue with any full hollow body. I have an 810-7
    I don't have too many problems with feed back because I keep my volume down. I know that there are plugs you can get for the f holes to reduce the feed back. Doug's Plugs - hand-made f-hole covers to eliminate feedback in your archtop guitar
    My old teacher put foam peanuts in his arch top; something that I think is crazy. I'm not sure if eastman makes a 7 semi hollow body.