The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hello

I just bought a telecaster standard made in USA ...

I used to be al lot into blues but I eventually decided to start studing a bit and evolve into a jazz player

I didnt buy a proper jazz guitar cuz I guess I am more into the kind of jazz that can be played with a telecaster.

My question is fairly easy: can u suggest an amplifier that will suit my needs? I know nothing about jazz amplifiers so I really need a help. Also bear in mind I'll be playing "jazz" in my room for a long time so I don't need power or anything like that for the next year or so.

and finally ... cheap is better

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome!! There are a number of small bedroom amps available. Do you know if you want tube or not? There are some small 5 watt tube amps available. If going tube doesn't matter, then the Roland Cube amps are pretty popular. Yes, they have alot of distortion models in there but the clean channel is modeled after the famous Roland Jazz Chorus.

BTW, Tele's can make a fine jazz guitar

User Info Menu

Yes, it does seem that you can play any type of jazz you want (not to mention country, blues, rock, bhangra etc.) with a Telecaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Yes, it does seem that you can play any type of jazz you want (not to mention country, blues, rock, bhangra etc.) with a Telecaster!
    In fact that was the main reason why I bought it. I don't think think I'll manage to stay away from Jimi Hendrix a long time you know?

Do I wasnt tubes? I might actually! You? Would u want tubes?

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nourdine
    In fact that was the main reason why I bought it. I don't think think I'll manage to stay away from Jimi Hendrix a long time you know?

Thanks guys
    I prefer a solid state amp myself (Polytone) for jazz - used with an archtop, and also a solid guitar with humbucker pickups - but I don't have a telecaster so that might be better with a tube amp maybe. I'm not much help, but do I know there are some good tele players on this forum, so hopefully one will be along soon to help you out!

User Info Menu

I mainly play a Telecaster and it works great for me. Personally I like to use Fender Blues Junior amps if i'm going to use a single amp (I regularly use a setup of a Blues Junior and solid state Hughes & Kettner as I use stereo delays). The Fender is my "main" amp and it's where the bulk of my signal comes out of anyway.
    It's quite warm sounding, which is good with my Tele, and it has a slightly boxy quality, which a lot of people don't like and can be removed with mods, but I like it. It may be a little loud solely for bedroom playing, but at least it has a master volume so you can get some grit if you need it for blues playing. If you are hugely reliant on reverb you may find it lacking, though. At anything past 4 on the reverb knob it gets very mushy.

The only solid state amps I really like are Hughes & Kettner ones, providing they don't have built-in effects, which are pretty poor. A Cube or a Fender solid state may be a good option though. Whether you want valves or not can only be determined by your needs - i'm probably one of the few valve users who would solely use solid state amps the whole time if I could, just because the maintenance can be awkward. Personally though I prefer the sound from valve amps, but i'm not a traditional jazz player.

If I ever return to consistent gigging i'll probably buy another H&K and use two of them in stereo and keep the Blues Jr for home playing and recording.

User Info Menu

well, first of all, any kind of jazz can be played on a tele, really--it doesn't have to sound like mike stern, or danny gatton. ask ed bickert.i'd probably tell you to go with a roland cube--see if you can find a used 60. now, i know you're saying, "60 watts, that's a lot of volume for a bedroom"...but it sounds good at low volumes, and my next point it key:you're not going to get any better playing jazz in your room for a year. you need to get out and play. take lessons...find people better than you and jam with them. staying in your room and practicing will make you a good bedroom player...the world has too many of those! guys who can play scales but can't comp, cats who got licks but no rhythm, etc. get out there, take a few lumps, and remember, for every showoff ass who'll put you down there's another likely better player who will show you some stuff.so my point is, get an amp you're not going to have to upgrade right away to hang with others.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 09-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Excellent advice Mr B. Nothing teaches you faster than doing it for real... and that feeling afterwards when you get home and your body is just so full of music...

User Info Menu

If you are pressed for both cash and space, I would suggest a Roland Micro Cube. They are cheap ($125), very small, and offer a surprisingly good tone for such a small package. It is great for travel, and when you get your chops up to where you are ready to play out or with others, you can always graduate to a Cube 80 or whatever is out there at that time. Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nourdine

Thanks guys
    I like small tube amps. IMO, the warmth that comes from tubes you can only get close with solid state amps - but this is just my opinion. Other players may feel differently. On the down side, tube amps can break down easier (as they seem to do at the absolute worse times) and (good) solid state amps can be more reliable. In the end, I like my Roland Cube 30 and it seems very well built. It is still small but not oo small. Do you have a local music shop where you can try different amps and see what you like?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd6969
    On the down side, tube amps can break down easier (as they seem to do at the absolute worse times) and (good) solid state amps can be more reliable.
    I'm no tube sniffin' hot bottle rocket jockey, but one would point out that tube amps lend themselves more to home repair. I could counter that this is sometimes out of desperation!

User Info Menu

I use a Vox AD05. Solid state, with lots of modelling & effects options (most of which I don't use). Will run from mains or battery but I've not tried it with batteries.

I guess it may not be known nor designed for jazz. I use a clean channel/model, roll back the tone & add a little delay - sounds just great and really makes me want to play. Cost ~£70 (UK) =~= $100ish

User Info Menu

If you like the MicroCube,
    and you love the DA5,
    You'd go bonkers over the DA10!

User Info Menu

I use a 5w Blackstar HT5 Combo which is a tube amp and although aimed at rock players serves me very well for Jazz.

The clean Channel sounds very nice and jucy and as you turn it up adds nice harmonics by overdriving the power stage.

I´ve used it live a couple of times and always was amazed how loud 5 Watts can be. At least its enough for a small club and a quiet drummer. It doesnt stay entirely clean though at certain volumes (which I don´t mind, others might though)

Most definetely enough power for your bedroom though.

The second channel is also nice sounding but I find the distortion kicks in too heavy for Jazz. It could be more subtle. It has a insert for effects which I prsonally dig because I think most effects but especially reverb sound better when inserted after the preamp (just me though).

The best thing about this amp is the price though, which I think is very good for a tube amp.
    Also its small and therefore transportable.

Ah and it has a Headphone / recording output which mutes the speaker for silent use. It does not sound too good (unlike the manufactures description) but serves well for nightly practice or difficult neighbours.

The cube is also a very nice amp but totally different.

User Info Menu

The Roland Cube 30 is an excellent amp.Tho',I personally own a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. The Roland would be the most economical to purchase;The Ultralight is the most versatile(2 voices:Standard Jazz voice-Twin voice clean ; Drive channel has jazz voice only. I play an Aerodyne Classic Strat,Washburn X50 Pro(HB/w coil tap);and a Highland HEG-540/w Alnico V HB's,Grover tuners,hardstop bridge. Any one in Western Ky. ? I need some good jams ; sick and tired of playing worn out country crap!

User Info Menu

No disrespect but I am too tired to read ALL the posts.
    I am using a 74 tele with and early 70 HB in the neck through a homemade Fender champ with 2X8 speakers. I REALLY like it for jazz (enough that I am looking for a tele bridge with no pickup hole so I can go one pickup).

I WILL say this AGAINST tube amps (Fenders at least).
    They do not sound good below 3. Soooo.... my 8 watt Champ or Vibrochamp: 3 is ok before 10pm (not to anger the GF).

Solid state amps (I only have one .. a Peavey Audition 20 practice amp) dont seem to have this problem.