The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    It is reported that Billy learned nearly all of Charlie Parker's solos. Additionally, he felt that one should know them in 4 different keys to really know them well, presumably with different fingerings. He was a savant and probably would be categorized in the Autism Spectrum nowadays. I think he started out with a guitar fixation/addiction that gradually became replaced by alcohol. He lived his final years comfortably under the care of his nephew and seldom was inclined to pick up the guitar anymore. He seemed to associate guitar playing with his former days and that was all in the past to him.
    I don't doubt his savant-ness on guitar. His playing is absolutely impeccable. He never makes a mistake, his time is perfect, and he never repeats himself. He was also a fantastic comper (check out Bud Shank's "Slippery When Wet" album for that).

Still, an amazing NGD.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your historic guitar & thanks for this whole thread.

I'm simply not well-studied enough on Mr. Bean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    PS: Just re-read my post and realized I was talking about the wrong guy....Billy Bauer instead of Billy Bean. Both before my time, and both good bop players, who kind of fell out of the spotlight.

Bean was a Philly guy....amazing how certain places produce a lot of great players ....Philly and guitarists....Detroit with a lot of everything. My bad, I apologize.
    I'm guessing it is possible that Billy Bean honed his chops with Billy Bauer's play-a-long album, The Billy Bauer Quartets "Let's Have a Session".

It would be interesting to see Billy Bean's record collection.

User Info Menu

Got "The Trio" album the other day - great stuff - thanks again for directing me to this excellent guitarist!

User Info Menu

I finished the restoration of Billy Bean's guitar. When it was broken in pieces and before being glued back together, someone had stolen the vintage correct tuners, tailpiece, and pickup. It now has a nickel patent number pickup, nickel tailpiece, correct knobs, and double ring/double stripe Kluson tuners. Billy's modified pickup position, 25 1/2" scale neck with ebony fretboard, and ebony two piece bridge remain intact. I am having my dog guard the guitar so nobody messes with it anymore.
    Billy Beans 1964 Gibson ES-175-dog-bb-guitar-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 12-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.

User Info Menu

The guitar looks great! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Great job!

User Info Menu

How come I'd never heard of Billy Bean, he's great! Congrats on the guitar purchase and restoration, you have a lot to live up to now!

User Info Menu

Great story in many regards. Glad it wound up with in this "family" here. Congrats to the OP and I guess to the guitar itself, sounds like it found a great home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    Great story in many regards. Glad it wound up with in this "family" here. Congrats to the OP and I guess to the guitar itself, sounds like it found a great home.
    Thank you all for your sentiments. As you imply, 73, this guitar belongs to all of us in this online family. And it has its own soul from the journey it has been on and the man who channeled his soul energy through it. It is on par with Dizzy's horn. I am extremely fortunate to be its present conservator. I would be happy to let any of you to check it out, if you are ever in Central Ohio.

I love playing it (and I don't have to worry about dings or minor scratches although I do), and I am fully aware I will never have Billy Bean's savant-ness. But from now on and forward, he will be my muse, and I will forever be grateful to his nephew for putting the guitar in my respectful home.
    Ted

P.S. Here is a picture of how Billy fixed the handle on his guitar case. I am going to keep it this way.
    Billy Beans 1964 Gibson ES-175-billy-beans-case-handle-jpg
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 12-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.