The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Joe,

Curious. Can you elaborate? Was there a problem with quality control or something that caused a big issue between Jimmy and Fender?

Albert
    Sorry, I missed this.
    My post was purely conjecture.
    Just an assumption on my part.
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jimmy’s relationship with Fender was stellar. He died in his hotel room from a massive epileptic seizure in Corona Ca. while on a Fender business trip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have always had a thing about old Epi's. Epiphone, Gibson, and D'Angelico were the absolute.

Congrats !

with Gibson's financial woes it would be nice if they sold the Epi name off to a company interested in making great archtops again. Real competition is a good thing. Look how fast Gibson pulled the Elitist line.
    What if the Epiphone mark were acquired by that little guitar company up in Kalamazoo, MI... wouldn't that be a daisy?

User Info Menu

I would settle for the return of the Japan Epi Elitists.

User Info Menu

I'm sure most of you on here have owned at least 2 of these at some point....so please, bombard me with your opinions! I obviously can't decide on my own.

-Westerly built 70s Guild Artist Award. Played a couple of these but haven't seen one come up for sale lately that I liked.

-Early 50s Epiphone Triumph Regent. Love the acoustic sound of these but will definitely get a pickup to make it electric as well.

-50s Gibson L7C. To me these are the nicest sounding but most difficult to play because their hefty necks.

Quote Originally Posted by CDBrooklyn
    I'm sure most of you on here have owned at least 2 of these at some point....so please, bombard me with your opinions! I obviously can't decide on my own.

-Westerly built 70s Guild Artist Award. Played a couple of these but haven't seen one come up for sale lately that I liked.

-Early 50s Epiphone Triumph Regent. Love the acoustic sound of these but will definitely get a pickup to make it electric as well.

-50s Gibson L7C. To me these are the nicest sounding but most difficult to play because their hefty necks.
    You are somewhat correct in your assumption, although my Guild AA was a '92 Westerly build. I still have the '53 Triumph Regent that started this thread, however I sold the AA to help fund the purchase of my '90 Benedetto Cremona.
    Ironically I did own a L-7 many years ago, however it was a '30's non cut picture frame neck inlay model, so not the same animal you are comparing to purchase.

I gigged out with the AA extensively, she was just a stellar guitar in my opinion. Lots of owners have swapped the original pickup out from that era, it's not the best but I got along with it OK. I gig out occasionally with the Triumph, it's never had a pickup and doesn't need one for my application.
    Plenty of acoustic volume.

You are spoiled for choice. Only caveat being the 70's Guild is 30 or so years newer than the Gibby or Epi. In my experience Gibson had the edge on build quality during the era you are seeking. Many Epi's have binding issues but you are probably aware of this. When I was shopping I had the funds to purchase a Epi or L-7C, however down to personal taste I prefer the tone of the Epi. She does have a pronounced deep V neck but I have no issues doing a 3 hour gig with it.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the instruments on your list as long as you love it. Happy Hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images NOGD-53 Epi Triumph Regent-unplugged-jpg NOGD-53 Epi Triumph Regent-porterville-20120822-00008-jpg