The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Dear Frank,

thanks for your answer. I'm actually really happy that the tone knob was full up, maybe that's a bit a of a cure fo my L5-disease :-D I'm always try to save money for one and when I'm 1/3-1/2 done there is always something else I have to buy (now I got this amazing Epi Triumph!) and the journey starts over

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Frank,
    may I compliment you on the video. and join the majority who vote for the L5's sound
    ( even with the tone up & the amp on Bright setting ! ) it does reign supreme, having
    both, a Wesmo and an L5, I can attest to that. However, the Frameworks Guitar was a
    pleasant surprise too. I suspect also the nut width and string spacing would be rather
    difficult for me. Thank you for this post it is very entertaining.

kind regards SF

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    I'm always try to save money for one and when I'm 1/3-1/2 done there is always something else I have to buy (now I got this amazing Epi Triumph!) and the journey starts over
    I can totally relate to that! I've been there for a few years and there was always something else. The L5 I have, I bought spontaneously. One night I saw an offer on Ebay and I just pulled the trigger although it was not rationally justifiable. I am glad I did; otherwise it would have never happened.

The guitar does not sound muddy in person. It sounds absolutely awesome electrified (and absolutely anemic acoustically). I just did not do a good enough job with the recording. I'll try again soon ... so many things to learn and also so many things to think about while shooting and editing the video that it is easy to miss out on some important aspects (I don't have much time to do these things and then it'll sometimes gets a bit rushed).

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Frank,
    may I compliment you on the video. and join the majority who vote for the L5's sound
    ( even with the tone up & the amp on Bright setting ! ) it does reign supreme, having
    both, a Wesmo and an L5, I can attest to that. However, the Frameworks Guitar was a
    pleasant surprise too. I suspect also the nut width and string spacing would be rather
    difficult for me. Thank you for this post it is very entertaining.

kind regards SF
    Thank you very much for your kind words Silverfoxx - much appreciated! As discussed in the thread there are many technical things to improved next time. It is fun to learn and helpful comments from the experts here definitely help in that endeavor.

In terms of the nut width and string spacing I think that the Frameworks people would work with you. The one I bought was a special offer since they had it - it was not custom built. They send it to me for trying it out, I was happy with it and hence I kept it.
    Last edited by Frank67; 10-30-2017 at 06:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I guess the purpose of the exercise was:

1) have fun
    2) have some more fun
    3) show that a guitar with almost no wood and no resonant body can have a full fat jazztone that is different from but not inferior to established tones

... I definitely succeeded with 1) and 2) but whether I succeeded with 3) is on you to decide ... if you wish to do so.

cheers,
    Frank
    I thought you sounded best on the Tele, very nice.

Thank you p1p - much appreciated! I really like that tele. I put it together last year from Warmoth parts and wanted a really non-nonsense tele. It is essentially as traditional as they come but with a few modern features like a compound radius fretboard and locking tuners. The rest is all very traditional.

It is interesting how differently people perceive tone. The tele is certainly the brightest of the three guitars. You like that, most others like the darker, smoother L5 tone and one colleague considered that tone to be muddy. ... I guess that is why we all need many guitars :-)

This thread has given me a few valuable pointers on what to improve on the technical side and I hope that I'll manage to follow through with that next time ... becoming a better musician and relaxing in front of a camera is of course a different story :-)

Cheers,
    Frank

Kris wanted to see and hear fingerstyle. So here is another video about the Frameworks. I am afraid that this is my best shot at fingerstyle :-( I may shoot another one were I try to remedy the shortcomings of the first video.

In in any case, this is fun .. hope one or the others of you likes it.

Happy noodeling,
    cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Very informative and enjoyable presentation. I like the sound of both the piezo and the magnetic pickups. Your fingerpicking is excellent. Thanks for creating this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Kris wanted to see and hear fingerstyle. So here is another video about the Frameworks. I am afraid that this is my best shot at fingerstyle :-( I may shoot another one were I try to remedy the shortcomings of the first video.

In in any case, this is fun .. hope one or the others of you likes it.

Happy noodeling,
    cheers,
    Frank

Hello Frank,
    Thanks a lot for great presentation.Jazz Frameworks is a very powerfull instrument.
    Piezzo and magnestic pickup/mini humb Armstrong/ sounds exelent.
    It is also great that if battery gone guitar still play thru the amp/not so loud ofcourse/.
    My model has also midi possibilities /RMC pickup and midi/.
    Thanks one more time.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    I/ve used Godin LGXsa few years ago with similar system/piezzo plus manetic pickup/.By mixing the sygnals from piezzo and magnetic pick up I/ve got get extra powerfull sounds.

Thank you very much citizenk74 and Kris for the nice comments!
    it is fun to do these things!
    in an actual playing situation I would also blend the piezo and magnetic pickups. Here I just wanted to show how they sound each on their own.
    Happy guitar playing to everyone!
    cheers
    Frank

User Info Menu

Excellent video, Frank. It answered a few if my questions. And your playing is good. I enjoyed Manha De Carnaval at the end.

Does anyone know how much these cost today?

Thank you very much Rob - very kind of you!

Some of the angle shot synchronizations weren't quite spot on in the video but I am slowly getting the hang of the video editing thing. It is fun.

I always feel a bit "naked" when I play with my fingers. It is particularly bad if I am nervous (like on stage). Then I can't hit a single note while with a plectrum I can still fake it. Sitting in front of a camera is only a little better but at least one can repeat many times. I wish I had a sense for chord melody. I really love listening to people who are good at it. Some manage a lot with hybrid picking but that feels even more alien to me ... anyways, music is so much! (and, admittedly, toying around with gear too).

I want to make a real recording of Manha de Carneval with a real arrangement at some point, but yesterday I ran out of steam. But ... "winter is coming" :-)

Cheers everybody!

PS: I don't know what the Frameworks cost these days. Mine is, I think, a floor model and I have no idea whether the price was representative or whether I am supposed to share it publicly. As an orientation - be prepared to pay similar amounts of money as if a luthier makes a guitar for you. It was worth it to me since I travel a lot for work and it is the only to keep in touch with guitar playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Excellent video, Frank. It answered a few if my questions. And your playing is good. I enjoyed Manha De Carnaval at the end.

Does anyone know how much these cost today?
    Hi Rob,
    not shure...but last time Frank Krocker told me:
    € 2.300,- plus 19% VAT. and shipping

It was one year ago.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Cheers, Kris. I guess that's the price they should be.