The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

1. (New) ZT Lunchbox, everyone knows about this one, it caught my eye and was almost decided to buy it but now i can get a good deal on:

2. (Used) Old Roland Cube 60, not the current version. This one is an old school all analog solid state amp. I can get it cheaper than the ZT.

What would you guys do?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

no get a tube amp for warmth and sustain listen to djangos later stuff 1948 onwards what a tone, not horrid transistor tone i have a cube 60 i cannot wait to replace it and kick it round the backyard until its dead.its awfull i recommend a blues deluxe reissue and have it custom modifyed by torres if it goes faulty
    lol

User Info Menu

I've been thinking of buying a used Cube 60, too.

Can you A/B them? I like having the 12" on the Cube, but if weight is an issue, the Lunchbox can fit in your backpack. The Cube has more EQ control (treble, mid, bass) as well as delay and reverb and some modeling (which some people don't take a shine to, but the blackface I like).

If I were leaning towards the Lunchbox, I might wait a little and try their new 1x12 when it come out "this Fall".

I read somewhere that it would list for $400.

User Info Menu

Aside from the obvious question, which do YOU like better, I'd go for the Roland. But that's because I'm not convinced about amps with small speakers delivering the sound I'm looking for. I think the 60 has a 10" if I'm not mistaken or at least it's bigger than the ZT speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    I think the 60 has a 10" if I'm not mistaken or at least it's bigger than the ZT speaker.
    The 60 has the same 12" as its amp replacement, the 80x. Some people say the 60 sounds better because of the way its ported.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DegoL
    1. (New) ZT Lunchbox, everyone knows about this one, it caught my eye and was almost decided to buy it but now i can get a good deal on:

2. (Used) Old Roland Cube 60, not the current version. This one is an old school all analog solid state amp. I can get it cheaper than the ZT.

What would you guys do?
    Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue
    Fender Princeton reissue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue
    Fender Princeton reissue
    The ZT Lunchbox goes for $260. Make that your tube sniffin' budget

First. I'm not really much into tube amps, nor for sound, nor for weight etc. I've tried some Fenders and wasn't really impressed (including Twin Reverbs). That is not the topic.

Second, this Roland is not the current Cube, it's the old one. It has no modeling, no effects (except spring reverb), I think it's similar to the ones Ed Bickert used to use.

I can't try any of them, I like the Lunchbox because of size, weight, power, and it doesn't sound bad. The Roland is bigger, probably sounds better (i don't really know) and is cheaper.

Seriously, it's not that complicated, I dont know how can I ask this and get responses about Deluxe Reverbs, or Blues Deluxes...
    Last edited by DegoL; 09-17-2009 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

The old Orange Cube 60's sound fantastic with a Tele - if that helps ...

User Info Menu

I pretty much only play tube amps for rock/pop/blues, but am perfectly fine with ss for jazz. Give me the Cube over the Lunch box for the same reasons John mentioned.

User Info Menu

Could you help us by being clearer?

1. What is your budget?
    2. What guitar(s) will you use with this amp?
    3. What type of music will you play with this amp?
    4. What sort of sound are you looking for?
    5. How loud does it have to do? Where are you playing? Who do you play with?
    6. What features are important to you?
    7. Is the weight of the amp an issue?
    8. For the Lunchbox, have you considered buying an external cabinet?
    9. (Has to be asked) Tube, SS, both, hybrid....?

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Could you help us by being clearer?

1. What is your budget?
    2. What guitar(s) will you use with this amp?
    3. What type of music will you play with this amp?
    4. What sort of sound are you looking for?
    5. How loud does it have to do? Where are you playing? Who do you play with?
    6. What features are important to you?
    7. Is the weight of the amp an issue?
    8. For the Lunchbox, have you considered buying an external cabinet?
    9. (Has to be asked) Tube, SS, both, hybrid....?
    Can you say the above it the Comicbook Guy voice? It would come out great.

User Info Menu

Worst. Reply. Ever.

Edit: Have Apu and The Comicbook Guy ever had a conversation on The Simpsons?

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Worst. Reply. Ever.

Edit: Have Apu and The Comicbook Guy ever had a conversation on The Simpsons?
    I can't recall such.

Edward G Robinson and Chief Wiggum once had a conversation. That was very funny, "see".

Dan Castellanetta is the voice of the Robot Devil on Futurama. You'd never know it was Homer.

User Info Menu

what kind of guitar will you be playing with?

i'm a big fan of the lunchbox, but it also could never be the only amp i own. it's not the holy grail of tone...it's very flat responding, very loud, and what you put in is what you get out, only louder, with this amp. it sounds much better to me thru an extension cabinet which loosens up the "boxiness" of the sound. for me, the lunchbox is a practice amp that i can take in a pinch to any jam and be heard, or it gets first call when i'm taking the train to a gig (but again, if i'm gonna gig it, i'm bringing the speaker cab--it should be noted for me that's not a big deal as my speaker cab weighs only 17 lbs.)

the old cubes are interesting. definitely "try before you buy" if you can. again, it's a very flat, very clean platform. neither amp will let you hide behind much. ed bickert sounded great thru one. nobody else it seems, ever used one professionally--so basically, let your ears be the guide.

to those who suggested tube amps, i agree, the tube amp sound is also good and worth looking at. but for me, gigging jazz in chicago, they're completely impractical 9 gigs out of 10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    the old cubes are interesting. definitely "try before you buy" if you can. again, it's a very flat, very clean platform. neither amp will let you hide behind much. ed bickert sounded great thru one. nobody else it seems, ever used one professionally--so basically, let your ears be the guide.
    At least one of the guys following in Ed's footsteps still uses one - Lorne Lofsky.

I got a silver "Super" Cube 60 a couple of months ago. A few more knobs and things, but basically the same guts as the older orange cubes.

User Info Menu

What would you guys do?
    Well, before we completely hijack your thread ( we jazz musicians tend to impvovise and go off on tangents don't we? ), I would go for the Cube, because of the size of it's speaker. I know there's many good amps out there with small speakers, but at the end of the day I always feel that, to coin a phrase, size is important, especially if you want a bit of solid low and mid end. Has the old cube really got a proper spring reverb, as opposed to the COSM one? If it was a proper spring, that would make it a definite winner for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    The old Orange Cube 60's sound fantastic with a Tele - if that helps ...
    I actually use one of these w/ the guts ripped out and a new speaker in it as an extension cabinet and really like the sound. (I think I got the idea from Pat Metheny who used some amp for just the speakers back in the day.) It isn't much to look out but sounds great, especially for jazz. (With a Tele most of the time)

=-) PJ

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    I got a silver "Super" Cube 60 a couple of months ago. A few more knobs and things, but basically the same guts as the older orange cubes.
    That's exactly the amp I'm talking about! Could you give a small review of it, please? There's no info about it anywhere, and I can't try it. The amp is in perfect condition and I can buy it pretty cheap. Is it same size as the current Cube 60? How much does it weight?

I'll be using an Ibanez AS80. The amp has a 12" speaker, and spring reverb, but I'll probably end up using a external reverb.

User Info Menu

That's exactly the amp I'm talking about! Could you give a small review of it, please? There's no info about it anywhere, and I can't try it. The amp is in perfect condition and I can buy it pretty cheap. Is it same size as the current Cube 60? How much does it weight?

I'll be using an Ibanez AS80. The amp has a 12" speaker, and spring reverb, but I'll probably end up using a external reverb.
    Weight is about 30 pounds. I took the reverb unit out of mine to save a few ounces, since I never use it.

Sound is very good - rather like a Polytone, but capable of being a bit brighter. The drive channel sucks, but since you're a jazz player, there's no reason to use anything but the normal channel.

I've had good success with this amp with a Line 6 pod as well. Went straight into the power amp in on the back.

This amp is a keeper for me. Enough power to play with a big band, and I can easily get the sounds I want out of it.

Thanks! I think I'll go for it.

Just ordered it. I'll let you guys know whe i get it. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Tube amps all the way!
    Last edited by jason30; 09-19-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Grrrrrr! I had oreded it. I even received an email confirmation from the shop. They called me saying it was sold 2 weeks ago but it wasn't updated in the web. Now I have these pretty different options:

1. lunchbox, i found a cheaper deal on it.
    2. used Blues Junior, with Celestion Speaker and better tubes, quite more expensive than the lunchbox.
    3. AER Alpha, i think I can get it pretty cheap.

My budget is limited, so please stop suggesting Deluxe Reverbs etc...
    For now these are the options.

User Info Menu

considering how different those three you now mentioned are, i think you have more options than you are allowing yourself. do you have a sound in your head you're trying to get? for you, which players have a great sound?

will you be playing only jazz?