The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Jump to 1:35.

(this video should be stickied on every guitar site)

Thank You Max - this was a real eye opener. It really helped me understand these components and settings !

Dennis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I just had my 2 L-7 necks / truss rods re-set, and fingerboards straightened

Good luck !!

You are lucky you had a good luthier/repair guy,

it is unclear as to Exactly what you had done sometimes a fingerboard needs planning straight with
    frets out refinishing whatching out for inlays, this is to get neck straight, because the neck has been "out" not straight the action can/may go out resulting in constant tightening of truss rod. obviously over a few years. Overtightning o truss rods can make it pop or push the underside resulting in cracks splits etc.

Anyway all i meant to say that Rod had been tightened considerably way before this.

It may very well be fixable but without seeing it tricky, dont want anyone going thro what i did.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    You are lucky you had a good luthier/repair guy,

it is unclear as to Exactly what you had done sometimes a fingerboard needs planning straight with
    frets out refinishing whatching out for inlays, this is to get neck straight, because the neck has been "out" not straight the action can/may go out resulting in constant tightening of truss rod. obviously over a few years. Overtightning o truss rods can make it pop or push the underside resulting in cracks splits etc.

Anyway all i meant to say that Rod had been tightened considerably way before this.

It may very well be fixable but without seeing it tricky, dont want anyone going thro what i did.
    Sorry I didn't explain myself too well, mostly because I don't know exactly what or how things were done. . I'm sure that by doing the neck heat and the other things, it got the neck and therefore the fb back to level.

I do have a good luthier, and if you don't have one I can't stress enough that you need to spend the time it takes to find one. I would recommend talking to pro's on gigs.....I know very well there used to be a lot more of those than now, but I am pretty sure the same names usually pop up. All you need is 2 guys giving you the same name and you should be set! Don't be surprised if he works out of his home.

And good luck, and here's hoping you don't have another bad experience.

Dennis

unfortunately, not every town has a luthier that can do that. The two guys I used to use are no longer taking new repairs. There is nobody locally who can do a fret level much less heat-press a neck.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack I know you are not a fan of new but a brand new 175 for $2200 from CME ? No risk. You don't like it you send it back on there dime. I picked one up and it is certainly worth the $2200. Yes it is the heavy modern build but sounds very nice. Just a thought.....the risk free might be worth a roll of the dice ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    unfortunately, not every town has a luthier that can do that. The two guys I used to use are no longer taking new repairs. There is nobody locally who can do a fret level much less heat-press a neck.

I can sympathize.......I don't know who'd be next in line here, if he left.....

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Hey Jack I know you are not a fan of new but a brand new 175 for $2200 from CME ? No risk. You don't like it you send it back on there dime. I picked one up and it is certainly worth the $2200. Yes it is the heavy modern build but sounds very nice. Just a thought.....the risk free might be worth a roll of the dice ?
    thanks, that's a ridiculous price. Are they still on amazon?

User Info Menu

Call CME directly. Don't go through Amazon.

FYI the new 175's have pinned bridges but the intonation is spot on.

Thanks Vinny! I actually have a couple seventy seven 175s that are really great. I like the quality and construction better than the new Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Thanks Vinny! I actually have a couple seventy seven 175s that are really great. I like the quality and construction better than the new Gibsons.
    Very nice axe. Been watching your YouTubes with the 77. Sounds very close to a good 175.
    I wish they would move the Gibson factory to Japan. Straight necks with trussrods that work would be the outcome.