The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I don't know why it wouldn't be safe, but I figured I would throw this out there anyhow. I have a friend that is is a nurse and an instructor. In the past, she has used some of her scopes/cameras to get me pics of the bracing inside my archtops. The other day she joked that she could x-ray the guitar and I thought that sounded like a brilliant idea. That all said, is it safe? Just curious!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sure, why not. The nurse might get in trouble, if caught, using medical machines (x-ray equipment) for goofy purposes, but it won't hurt the guitar.

User Info Menu

It would be a shame to discover that your guitar has a goiter.

User Info Menu

Undescended testes is more like it

User Info Menu

I'm not in the medical field, but they Xray the human body with metal repairs like hip replacements and pins to hold bones together so I seriously doubt any metal on a git can absorb any dangerous levels of latent radiation.

User Info Menu

Guitars DO get x-rayed.

X-Raying a Guitar-project-x-ray-photos-sj-top-neck-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Sure, why not. The nurse might get in trouble, if caught, using medical machines (x-ray equipment) for goofy purposes, but it won't hurt the guitar.
    It is not so much an issue of getting in trouble. One of the doctors there has an actual x-ray of his L-5 on the wall and she said she could try and get one for me as well. I just wanted to make sure that the guitar wouldn't hold excess radiation levels in the metal parts. Knowing my luck...

User Info Menu

You may find that, mysteriously, you can play like Wes afterwards... it's worth trying

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

'Post-Apocalyptic Jazz' ( coming soon! ) will necessarily involve instruments that glow in the dark.

With this, you'll be ahead of your time!

User Info Menu

Sure I know someone who does it with all his guitars (granted, he is a radiologist) makes for beautiful pics and youll learn a lot about its construction.

the idiot owners of the new DAngelico company on their website have mentioned they put old guitars in an MRI to take measurements for the reissues. Of course that would be completely unsafe because the guitars metal parts (gears, screws, frets, trussrod) would be ripped out right through the woods due to the high magnetic field. It just shows these type of people as usual have heard something, understood another thing, and generally have no idea what they are talking about

but anyways, to put your guitar in an x-ray (or even better, CT scanner) machine youre perfectly fine !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    a CT scan is basically a fancy 3D x-ray. Technically it is the same radiation, completely safe. Theres nithing that will be harmful for the guitar, nor for its owner when you take it out

User Info Menu

It's safe and it's a great way to see what's going on with bracing. I'd had it done and now every time I have to hunt down a rattle or buzz I wish I had access to that tech.

Now to see inside the mind of a great player and know all they had to go through to get that good... that's scary.

David

User Info Menu

Some folks been doing it for years trying to figure out which version of "weight relief" their Les Paul has....

X-Raying a Guitar-2011-gibson-traditiol-pro-exclusive-x-ray-body-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Precious guitar video......wait for it.........set to piano music Is it me?

User Info Menu

" is it safe?"

"yes it's safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe"

love,
    Marathon Man

User Info Menu

Guitars DO get x-rayed.

X-Raying a Guitar-project-x-ray-photos-sj-top-neck-jpg
    It's a she !

User Info Menu

Thanks, everyone!

User Info Menu

Wow! A MRI would be quite dangerous! The metal in the guitar would (a) heat up, (b) get pulled by the magnetron right into the works.

It _could_ destroy the guitar. I would never put a guitar into a MRI machine. Chairs and things like that have been sucked across rooms right into the magnetrons in MRI machines when hospital staff haven't paid attention to what was in the room. It can be dramatic.

(Reported to me by my sister, who worked in radiology at her hospital.)

User Info Menu

9Wow! A MRI would be quite dangerous! The metal in the guitar would (a) heat up, (b) get pulled by the magnetron right into the...w
    Maybe not, I once had an MRI and forgot to take off my HUGE steel and brass belt buckle, when the machine started the buckle got pulled up firmly like you would grab a dog in a harness but it didn't get warm or cut me in half. :-)

User Info Menu

What will an X-ray reveal that you can't already see with a light and mirror? I've a spare if you need one?

What guitar are you wanting to X-ray?

User Info Menu

Wow! A MRI would be quite dangerous! The metal in the guitar would (a) heat up, (b) get pulled by the magnetron right into the works.

It _could_ destroy the guitar. I would never put a guitar into a MRI machine. Chairs and things like that have been sucked across rooms right into the magnetrons in MRI machines when hospital staff haven't paid attention to what was in the room. It can be dramatic.

(Reported to me by my sister, who worked in radiology at her hospital.)
    Two doctors working on developing MRI returned from lunch one afternoon, one of them simply forgot that he had picked up a pen and had it in his lab coat pocket, walked into the room and the pen was instantly pulled from his pocket and blinded the other doctor permanently in one eye.

User Info Menu

The power of an MRI magnet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade
    I just wanted to make sure that the guitar wouldn't hold excess radiation levels in the metal parts. Knowing my luck...
    Won't happen. X-rays doesn't cause accumulation of radioactivity. It doesn't work the same way as magnetism.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The power of an MRI magnet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg
    Yep. Don't wear your Patek Philippe near one of these machines.