The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 135 of 135

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Spook410;856662]OK.. I'm envious. You have a much better bridge on yours. And my case isn't anywhere near that nice. And most of all.. I want the big ports. Mine only has a single small port. Oh well..

Beautiful guitar. Speaking of sound ports; does the lower port really function as intended. Seems, from the player's perspective, the sound would be largely blocked by the player's body.

Albert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I was asked to "choose" the size of the side ports I had little idea as to shape and area, but I figured best to err on the side of caution So I requested that they be the same as the top port (I see that Monteleones, Mirabellas et al are larger, but I didn't know if there were limitations) - they DO work. In particular, the port on the side of the scroll is positioned under the player's head - the sound is clear as a bell.

Additionally, the harmonics are hamonics are amazing on this guitar - All the way up to 1/4 inch away from the 1st fret as clear as can be.

User Info Menu

Spook410: Thanks for clueing me in. That question has been nagging at me for a while.

CamillusUSA: That is a no-foolin'-around guitar! I think it would not be comfortable for me with a bout that big, but it looks fantastic.

User Info Menu

Who wouldn't want to own that guitar? 18" of pure joy, that's what that is!

User Info Menu

Well... I'm not sure what it is, but I changed my strings and was surprised with the outcome. I asked Ms Lora to check w/Mr Wu as to the gauge of string that came w/the guitar and the word came back 12-54s. I had a set of nickel wound 12-52s and thought "ok, I'll lose perhaps a little volume and depth, but let's give it a try" - well, the difference is stunning to me. There seems to be, to my ear anyway, an increase in volume AND a greater presence. I've been at it every day for maybe two weeks and it's consistent, I haven't changed my opinion.

Any thought ob the subject?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CamillusUSA
    Well... I'm not sure what it is, but I changed my strings and was surprised with the outcome. I asked Ms Lora to check w/Mr Wu as to the gauge of string that came w/the guitar and the word came back 12-54s. I had a set of nickel wound 12-52s and thought "ok, I'll lose perhaps a little volume and depth, but let's give it a try" - well, the difference is stunning to me. There seems to be, to my ear anyway, an increase in volume AND a greater presence. I've been at it every day for maybe two weeks and it's consistent, I haven't changed my opinion.

Any thought ob the subject?

Thanks!
    I would say you have found a sweet spot. I would write the string info down!

Congrats!

User Info Menu

Two thousandths difference on the bass E isn't a lot. I don't know the total tension of the old strings, so it's hard to say if that was a factor. It may just be that it had cheapo strings, and a good set made the difference. The winding alloy can also make a difference even with the same brand of strings. What did you put on it?

User Info Menu

Replaced the bronze w/nickel

User Info Menu

I did the same with my Wu. The bronze strings just didn't sound very good to me, and I tried some D'Addario bronze strings with no noticeable improvement. D'Addario EPN21 pure nickel strings improved the sound a lot, acoustically and amplified. I don't like bronze strings much on any archtop.

User Info Menu

I'm in agreement with you. I sometimes used bronze on my h'bird but really only preferred them for same day recording, but not so w/their sound after that.

In any event, I like the nickel and will probably continue using them.