The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Did he make any recordings as a leader that you'd recommend?
    I have most of the Burrows records.
    I've heard burrows is in very bad shape with dementia.
    Don is suffering from dementia - yes - he must be 90 or thereabouts. George is still playing , although I dont know how many of his own recordings are still in print. I have a duet album with him and Don Andrews which is nice ,straight ahead stuff - but I'm pretty sure that this is unavailable now. But I've seen him play live many times in the last 25 -30 years both solo and with trio where he is at his best.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You and Glen Campbell... ;-)
    G.C. always sounded great with his. Well, he sounded great on anything.

My want for an Ovation began in college, when I picked up an old copy of Pat Martino's "Linear Expressions." Never did much with the book, but that elite on the cover sure looked cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gator811
    George is a master - still gigging. He was a master teacher too….He's played a bunch of guitars over the years … but the one I remember best was the one Maton built for him - GG 2..something.
    The GG22 will rise again.
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar Brand Stigma-dscf3642-jpg Guitar Brand Stigma-golla-w-gg22-6-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    G.C. always sounded great with his. Well, he sounded great on anything.

My want for an Ovation began in college, when I picked up an old copy of Pat Martino's "Linear Expressions." Never did much with the book, but that elite on the cover sure looked cool.

I went to GIT when Pat Martino was teaching there before the brain aneurism had been discovered. One the guitars he like to play when doing his clinic was his Double neck Ovation with two six string necks.

Actually Pat never explained the second neck, he would just play on it now and then. So my buddy made the mistake of asking Pat how the second tuned since it was obvious it wasn't standard. We were standing in the back of the room and Pat just glared at us, who knows why but he was ticked. Then sarcastically pointed to each string E, A, D, G, B, E but backward low E on bottom then second neck was a mirror image. Said he asked Ovation to make it for him. Then he calmed down and started into his geometry view of music and how he tried to see if that would apply a mirror image neck.

So you see a double six string Ovation get it, it might of been Pat's.

User Info Menu

The worst aspect of this is when you get a guitar that "speaks" to you, happens to be an amazing instrument, or fits your playing style perfectly, and you end up selling it cause of brand or price reasons. Never done it myself, mostly cause i 'm lefty and not because i knew better, but .. so many musician friends! I 'm always, thats a great guitar, don't sell it, you ll have a really hard time finding a better instrument... hehe they usually don't listen. Guess its a cycle you have to make yourself

User Info Menu

For me buying brands is all about resell value. If I really like a guitar I don't care what brand it is, it's that specific instrument I want. If more for a model, or type, or touch of GAS then resell value comes into play for me, because I know I might not keep it forever.

User Info Menu

That's why I got my 175. I already had the PM100 which totally filled my needs for an excellent 16" laminate jazz box but I knew I could not lose any money on the 175 if I ended up not using it. It's nice but also kind of a shame that great guitars will lose you money if they don't click with you just based on the name on the headstock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

It's a good thing that so called 'Brand Stigma' wasn't an issue for Prince. When he started out as a guitarist, he could only afford a lowly MIK Hohner 'Tele copy'...and used it for years. Here are photos of him in 2007 (l) and in the early '80's (r).

Last edited by Gitfiddler; 09-18-2017 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Many years ago while teaching guitar in a community programme one of the 'students' rocked up with an Ovation Balladeer - it was a really beautiful guitar, in those cool hard cases they used to come in. I must have expressed an instant GAS (so to speak) because he offered to sell it to me for - well not much at all. I got to try it overnight and it was in examination I saw the serial number scratched out inside and my heart sank. I carefully returned it without any fuss. I found out later it was part of a huge haul of instruments thieved from a warehouse and distributed freely amongst the said community - apparently it was one of a bunch of nice guitars including Strats, Teles, Gibsons and Ovations that I'm pretty sure all ended up getting played - given the musical talents of the said community. That Ovation was a beauty...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Listen with your ears, not your eyes. One of my very favorite guitars is my Memphis EL300 (exactly the same guitar as an Aria PE-180 copy of a Gibson Super-V/or L-5CES with a Super 400 neck). I would play this guitar at Carnegie Hall, for goodness' sake. It sounds sublime.

I have guitars that are WAY more expensive and have name check cachet. The EL300, however, is Old Faithful. Practically plays itself.
    Attachment 45854

I owned the same guitar as Aria in natural finish 1985-1996. Why did i sell it? Will never understand.
    Last edited by savofenno; 09-19-2017 at 06:29 AM.

User Info Menu

why does anyone worry about brand stigma? Just play your @ss off and don't worry about it. For years and years, paul bollenback and randy johnston used extremely inexpensive gear and it didn't matter. They both sounded great. They were both using cheap korean epiphone semis until they got big enough for endorsements and such. Yeah, the custom guitars probably sound better but I've heard both of them many times on cheaper gear and never once thought about the gear...Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

It's the old judge a book by its cover scenario. One of the best players I have ever seen was in shitty little cafe (that I was flipping burgers at). He played a cheap acoustic plugged into a Gorilla practice amp.

User Info Menu

Jack has a good point, as usual.

Keeter Betts, the great jazz bassist, played a Teisco bass when he played electric. He still kicked everyone's +××.

We _enjoy_ our great guitars, and we have a right to after buying them. They also inspire us to play well. But, we can get it done on cheap guitars.

As a kid, I was offered a spot on a TV show after an audition on a $16 guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wildschwein
    It's the old judge a book by its cover scenario. One of the best players I have ever seen was in shitty little cafe (that I was flipping burgers at). He played a cheap acoustic plugged into a Gorilla practice amp.
    Gorilla amps are highly under rated. A lot of tone in a small box. I miss mine.

User Info Menu

Think time period stigma is funny (all 70s Gibosns suck) and neck (1 9/16 suck) not true

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I can't recall the player, but somebody told a story about hating his horn and then loaning it to Charlie Parker.

His line was that, when Bird played, "even the strap sounded good".

I think I may have mentioned that I recently had a top pro play through my Yamaha Pacifica 012 and my Crate 12w practice amp and sound like a top pro. In a way, I wish it was the gear. That would make it easier. But, no, it's the player.

To be fair, I think most people would agree that he sounds even better on his $16,000 archtop. Just a little more depth or complexity of tone. But, if he played the Yamaha at Carnegie Hall, I don't think anybody would notice that there was something wrong with the tone of the guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm guilty in a way - I couldn't care less about electrics - I play a homemade Tele with a Strat tremolo and a Rustoleum paint job, unknown parts box pickups and an old Allparts neck, and it's a wonderful guitar - it does everything I need it to do and has for many years and I wouldn't trade it for all the Strats or Les Pauls in the world. Acoustics OTOH are a different story - I just will not be identified with anything but an '18' series or higher Martin. I recently acquired a 2014 000-18 and have decided that it's the perfect guitar for me. Hopefully, unless some financial crisis arises, I'll be able to keep it. If that does happen, it will get sold to meet obligations. That's why I never get really attached to my 'high $$$' guitars - I usually can't afford to keep them very long....but that's life.