The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56
    Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Regi
    I'm gonna get one of those rectangular Bo Didley jobs.
    I hear they sound better than an Ibanez Pat Metheny model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm..
    I have a Peerless Monarch and an Ibanez Artcore AF95. The Peerless is a solid top (not carved) and the Artcore is a laminate (aka ply) top. The Peerless is a 17" and the Artcore is less. 16" I think. Both have similar body depths.
    The Peerless definitely sounds far more resonant and tuned. The bass definition is clearer and the treble is, well....more trebly!
    The Ibanez is just a darker sound with a duller bass - not necessarily a bad thing as the Peerless can just sound like an amplified steel guitar unless you're careful - a problem that I'm currently having.

The Peerless is a bugger for feeding back but the Ibanez just won't unless the volume is really high.

Over the weekend, I had a friend stay and he brought his new Eastman 810 over. This thing is a carved top and I'll tell you what, I'll never complain about the Peerless feeding back again! The Eastman sounded slightly (and I mean slightly) better acoustically but when it was plugged in, it just fed back constantly. I swear that the bloody thing would feed back with the amp turned off!!

So in conclusion, if you must spend the extra for the "benefits" of a carved top, be prepared that that top will resonate because, well, that's what it's supposed to do! This will give you more feedback and if you ever play with a drummer (in the non-biblical sense) then be prepared for some serious resonance issues!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

I wonder if anyone here has a 19" Stromberg Master 400, like Freddie Green's? Momma!
    Oh I SAY! I didn't know they came THAT big!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homey
    Hmmm..
    I have a Peerless Monarch and an Ibanez Artcore AF95. The Peerless is a solid top (not carved) and the Artcore is a laminate (aka ply) top. The Peerless is a 17" and the Artcore is less. 16" I think. Both have similar body depths.
    The Peerless definitely sounds far more resonant and tuned. The bass definition is clearer and the treble is, well....more trebly!
    The Ibanez is just a darker sound with a duller bass - not necessarily a bad thing as the Peerless can just sound like an amplified steel guitar unless you're careful - a problem that I'm currently having.

The Peerless is a bugger for feeding back but the Ibanez just won't unless the volume is really high.

Over the weekend, I had a friend stay and he brought his new Eastman 810 over. This thing is a carved top and I'll tell you what, I'll never complain about the Peerless feeding back again! The Eastman sounded slightly (and I mean slightly) better acoustically but when it was plugged in, it just fed back constantly. I swear that the bloody thing would feed back with the amp turned off!!

So in conclusion, if you must spend the extra for the "benefits" of a carved top, be prepared that that top will resonate because, well, that's what it's supposed to do! This will give you more feedback and if you ever play with a drummer (in the non-biblical sense) then be prepared for some serious resonance issues!
    Some pertinent points there i feel Homey. And I think that there are some top players e.g. Jim Hall who specifically prefer a laminate top. I still hanker after that hand made luxury carved top guitar though - although I think the size thing may be something of a red herring for me - so a smaller, but still beautifully formed carved top maybe...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    I Have a Super 400 and a Johnny Smith (17")...
    Which one to play? Oh what a terrible dilema that must be for you, my heart bleeds...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Which one to play? Oh what a terrible dilema that must be for you, my heart bleeds...
    Actually Mike I've just had a very nice time listening to you on your reverbnation page, you make a lovely noise so play whichever guitar you like!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Nobody needs 19 inches. Nobody can afford an original Stromberg either.

I wonder if Benedetto, Buscarino, Monteleone or Campellone ever made 19" archtops?

Only those blessed with Italian last names could ever dream of such.
    Au contrare. Jim Triggs (decidedly nonItalian surname) has built replicas as found here Archtop Guitars and Jazz guitars at the bottom of the page. Can be yours for just under $10k. However, I imagine they would be willing to come down a wee bit from the asking price. Let us know if you pull the trigger.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Au contrare. Jim Triggs (decidedly nonItalian surname) has built replicas as found here Archtop Guitars and Jazz guitars at the bottom of the page. Can be yours for just under $10k. However, I imagine they would be willing to come down a wee bit from the asking price. Let us know if you pull the trigger.

Triggs was one of the builders of my Super V CES, back in the early 1990s.

User Info Menu

Many luthiers will custom build you a larger body; Bill Moll, for example: http://www.mollinst.com/pages/Resour...s/Solid_Carved

Note that he'll do an acoustic bass guitar with a 20" body. Momma mia!

Jazzarian Guest
    Many luthiers will custom build you a larger body; Bill Moll, for example: http://www.mollinst.com/pages/Resour...s/Solid_Carved

Note that he'll do an acoustic bass guitar with a 20" body. Momma mia!

Bill Moll, now dat aint Italian, unless he shortened it from Mollini or somethin'.

Dean Martin = Dino Paul Crocetti (dat's Italian!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Triggs was one of the builders of my Super V CES, back in the early 1990s.
    Maybe it is really Jim Triggatoni?

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Maybe it is really Jim Triggatoni?
    Good one. His partner in Gibson Custom Shop crime was Jim Hutchins (Hutchini?).

Those 2 guys built my Super V. That same year (1992), Triggs left Gibson.

I don't think Gibson has made a Super V CES since. Not commercially available anyway.

User Info Menu

I'm 6' tall, and my 335 is about as big as I can manage. I have a 17' jazz box, but it's like dancing with the fat lady.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    I'm 6' tall, and my 335 is about as big as I can manage. I have a 17' jazz box, but it's like dancing with the fat lady.
    I play archtops sitting down. Less of that "reach around" feeling than standing up.

Jazzarian Guest
    I play archtops sitting down. Less of that "reach around" feeling than standing up.

If Hendrix had played an L5 with his teeth, do you think he'd have preferred flatwounds?

User Info Menu

Owing to age and a few years of motorcycle, I almost always sit these days. And it's still a long reach around that jazzbo. With the 335 I'm able to focus my attention on the fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe

Now that is funny! I will have to use that one in the future. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Everyone puts Freddy with the Stromburg. but he played that gretsch for decades more.

there is a good quote on the Freddie green website that mentions that after a month of so no one could tell the difference in sound between the stromburg and the gretsch.

here is a link Photos of Guitars Owned by Freddie Green

User Info Menu

Please excuse the cheesy title pun. But really just another of my "what if?" possible guitar purchase muses. So... what if I was thinking of getting another archtop to go with my Joe Pass? The JP is quite small at less than 16" across and maybe 2.5" or so deep at a guess. But I like it a lot, especially for the woody acoustic quality to the amplified sound. So, if I went for a big archtop (like the Epi Emperor Regent say), besides more acoustic volume (which would be nice), would I also get more of that woody acoustic sound when amplified? Or would I just have another nice archtop?

Other related question - what difference does the laminate or carved top issue make to things in terms of tone?
    hi there jazz fan it deepends on the guitar an eastman ar803 is not deep bodied but sounds bigger and deeper than its larger 805 floating pickup brother because of the pickup being fixed on the top rather than floating a larger body will feedback more it will only be marginly loader acousticly f hole guitars are not great unplugged anyway they sound thin compared to sound hole guitars the ibanez joe pass is a laminate and designed for more volume at higher amp levels solid top jazz guitars usually have a rounder electric sound with less shrill highs (yamaha ae, eastman ,benedetto etc)all this is general advice it is really important if you can choose between guitars of the same make and model when you buy to get the best one for you they will vary in sound and responce

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick gagg
    hi there jazz fan it deepends on the guitar an eastman ar803 is not deep bodied but sounds bigger and deeper than its larger 805 floating pickup brother because of the pickup being fixed on the top rather than floating a larger body will feedback more it will only be marginly loader acousticly f hole guitars are not great unplugged anyway they sound thin compared to sound hole guitars the ibanez joe pass is a laminate and designed for more volume at higher amp levels solid top jazz guitars usually have a rounder electric sound with less shrill highs (yamaha ae, eastman ,benedetto etc)all this is general advice it is really important if you can choose between guitars of the same make and model when you buy to get the best one for you they will vary in sound and responce
    That's some run-on sentence! I'm out of breath just reading it. Here is something with which to pepper your next post:

....,,,,....,,,,;;;!!

As for "f hole guitars are not great unplugged anyway they sound thin compared to sound hole guitars" -- to each his own. I love the sound of a carved archtop. I find steel string flattops jangly. But YMMV.

User Info Menu

All good points, cheers Nick. I do like my JP though so that one is a keeper. I find it has quite a dark tone which I like a lot and maybe I prefer the sound of a full sized, body mounted humbucker too.

User Info Menu

... solid top jazz guitars usually have a rounder electric sound with less shrill highs (yamaha ae, eastman ,benedetto etc)
    ... I've always thought that in general carved top guitars have a more shrill sound than laminate jazzboxes ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    ... I've always thought that in general carved top guitars have a more shrill sound than laminate jazzboxes ...
    Actually I suppose that is true, it is certainly bound out in my own limited experience - carved = brighter, livelier, more acoustic, more "responsive" laminate = darker, warmer, less of that bright ringing acoustic quality. Although I'm sure a few carved top owners would take issue with your use of the word "shrill" LOL!

User Info Menu

Actually I suppose that is true, it is certainly bound out in my own limited experience - carved = brighter, livelier, more acoustic, more "responsive" laminate = darker, warmer, less of that bright ringing acoustic quality. Although I'm sure a few carved top owners would take issue with your use of the word "shrill" LOL!
    ... yes, a loaded term for sure - I was just responding to the use of the word in the previous post.

User Info Menu

Meggy,

Seems to me that you really like the JP and are going to keep it. That guitar will pretty much cover you for anything from Scofield to Hall soundwise. You also really seem to want a nice carved top archtop but are not sure on the size. Maybe just go play a bunch of different ones to get the feel for the size and sound. Seems to me that, for a price, you can really get anything you want. Here's one that I found just from googling "archtop guitars". I have no idea if it's a good guitar or not but it's on the smaller side for an archtop.

James L. Mapson Guitars