The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I don't know why, but something about Frisell's snakehead CC telecaster really appealed to me. A CC neck pickup on a solid body with some flatwounds. Something about it.
    TK Smith Charlie Christian Snakehead Telecaster-frisell-jpg
    I did my research and decided to build my own. I couldn't get a padouk neck like Mr. F did, but I feel I lucked out with roasted maple. Mine is a standard Fender scale but with a 59 Les Paul profile, 12" radius, and 1 3/4" nut, since I'm into wider spacing. The neck came from Musikraft and the body came from Guitar Mill. When it came to pickups, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, and TK Smith were the three choices. Based on word of mouth and strong recommendations from guys like Tavo Vega, Tommy Harkenriker, and Tim Lerch, I decided to go with the TK Smith version. I had the body rout done by a local tech, but the rest was my own doing.

TK Smith Charlie Christian Snakehead Telecaster-img_6141-jpg

Here's a quick recording with the new guitar. The amp is a Vintage 47 Tonemaster.

Last edited by omphalopsychos; 09-09-2017 at 12:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a sweet sounding guitar! And the perfect song; well executed. My hat's off to you. I swear I can "hear" the thicker, hard roasted maple neck with its beautiful overtones. I can almost feel the neck vibration in my hands and I'm not even playing it! Thanks for the feedback and video.

User Info Menu

Sounds great. T.K. Smith is a remarkable guy. He was a machinist who happened to be one of the best rockabilly guitarists that I've ever heard. He was using his own hand made pickups for decades before he started selling anything and he got one of the best and most unique tones ever with them. It's great to see him making some of his creations for sale. They really donn't sound quite like anything else.

User Info Menu

That sounds so good!

User Info Menu

Oh mercy!

Damn, such a fine guitar and exquisite playing. I'm thinking a glass of Cotes de Rhone, baguette, lightly salted butter and vintage matured chedder.
    Lip smackingly tay-steeeee.

Yum.

User Info Menu

cool!! came out great..so many directions you can go with rig like that (tk pup tele thu v47)...

can go from ted greene/lenny breau harmonic lushness thru jimmy wyble and even straight to junior barnard western swing!

good job...enjoy

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool!! came out great..so many directions you can go with rig like that (tk pup tele thu v47)...

can go from ted greene/lenny breau harmonic lushness thru jimmy wyble and even straight to junior barnard western swing!

good job...enjoy

cheers
    That's so right. I have a more "modern" setup too (Fenders and Henriksen), but frankly I'm finding CCs and p90s through an octal tube amp is where it's at, regardless of the era of jazz I'm playing.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Your feedback made my morning.

User Info Menu

Man, that is some sweet tone and nice playing! Congratulations on your new axe, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

I love this.

Two of my current obsessions... TK SMITH and VINTAGE 47 AMPS.

User Info Menu

Damned, George, that guitar sounds GOOD! Woo hoo!

User Info Menu

omphalo,

You sound great.

Congratulations on an excellent axe!

The TK Smith p/u is now on my radar, thank you.

User Info Menu

A beauty to look at and listen to, and no doubt a beauty to play as well. Way to go!

User Info Menu

Very nice!!! Gorgeous all around- the tone and your playing!!

Why did you go with pole pieces instead of the bar on the CC?

I have a Cabronita Thinline that currently has T-90s (P90s) in it, but I have always thought CCs (would have to be custom made, probably by Pete Biltoft) would be very nice in this one....

TK Smith Charlie Christian Snakehead Telecaster-cab-t90s-jpg
    Last edited by ruger9; 09-13-2017 at 05:40 AM.

I got pole pieces instead of a blade because I was planning to test out different strings and wanted to be sure that I could balance the volume if needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

I have a Cabronita Thinline that currently has T-90s (P90s) in it, but I have always thought CCs (would have to be custom made, probably by Pete Biltoft) would be very nice in this one....
    TK makes a pickup that is not on his website called a SUMMERTONE. It is basically his Bigsby style CAR (cast aluminum replica) pickup but without as much aluminum. He made it to fit in a P90 route. They are around $200. They would fit perfectly for your guitar.

Baytone pickups in England also make a CC pickup that will fit in a P90 route. I have a white one that I plan on using as a bridge pickup on an upcoming stratocaster build.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I had the body rout done by a local tech, but the rest was my own doing.

TK Smith Charlie Christian Snakehead Telecaster-img_6141-jpg

Did you do the finish yourself?
    It is lovely

User Info Menu

That thing looks and sounds great--well done. Now I want to build a Snakehead--but don't know that I have your skills! TK's stuff is awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stringmaster
    now i want to build a snakehead

me too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsegui
    TK makes a pickup that is not on his website called a SUMMERTONE. It is basically his Bigsby style CAR (cast aluminum replica) pickup but without as much aluminum. He made it to fit in a P90 route. They are around $200. They would fit perfectly for your guitar.

Unfortunately not: that's a Cabronita, the routs are for Filtertrons. Only Filtetron-sized pickus will fit. Those are T-90s... from TV Jones... Filtertron-sized P90s...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Unfortunately not: that's a Cabronita, the routs are for Filtertrons. Only Filtetron-sized pickus will fit. Those are T-90s... from TV Jones... Filtertron-sized P90s...
    D'OH! Brain fart.
    I knew that.

I would email TK and see what he says.

User Info Menu

Wow, impressive sound, and a piece I know well, beautifully played. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsegui
    Did you do the finish yourself?
    It is lovely
    No, I happened to spot it in Guitar Mill's Showcase and got it on sale over the 4th of July weekend. It was already finished and (tastefully) "relic"-ed. I'm not one for the artificially beaten look (I think Nash, Fender, and MJT really overdo their relics), but some builders do a great job. Daniel Slaman is another builder I consider to be very tasteful when it comes to aging guitar finish.

User Info Menu

No, I happened to spot it in Guitar Mill's Showcase and got it on sale over the 4th of July weekend. It was already finished and (tastefully) "relic"-ed.
    It is really nice. I have never really checked out Guitar Mill. I will now.

User Info Menu

TK Smith Charlie Christian Snakehead Telecaster-frisell-jpg
    Awesome guitar & awesome playing! I'm wondering what video or concert is that photo from? I can't seem to find any video clips of Bill playing that particular tele.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioxic
    Awesome guitar & awesome playing! I'm wondering what video or concert is that photo from? I can't seem to find any video clips of Bill playing that particular tele.

With Vinicius Cantuaria - Lagrimas Mexicanas. I actually don't like the record much, ironically.