The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Stephen Stills said he used to rub barbecue sauce into his bass strings to deaden them, IIRC.
    +1, I've read that too.

I'd probably try olive oil or coconut oil instead. BBQ sauce is sticky.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Putting aside the price and the claimed benefits, the one thing this device will do is wear a set of strings pretty quickly.

ToneRite for Guitar | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

The Jazz Swings have been on my Super Eagle for about a year, due to laziness on my part. TThey actually sound really neat.

i don't think that's the same thing. I think the corrosive effect from skin oils is what actually deadens the strings...

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Putting aside the price and the claimed benefits, the one thing this device will do is wear a set of strings pretty quickly.

ToneRite for Guitar | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The Jazz Swings have been on my Super Eagle for about a year, due to laziness on my part. TThey actually sound really neat.
    I worked once with a bass player who *said* he had never changed the strings on his Precision, which was several years old. He was a very good R&B bassist.

User Info Menu

Woody,

I haven't changed the strings on my bass since I put them on in 2003 (the year I bought the bass). I figure that since the great Joe Osborn _never_ changed the La Bella strings on his Fender Jazz Bass, and he invariably sounded like a million, my La Bella tape wounds would work for me without replacement.

So far, so good...although I use a Precision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't think that's the same thing. I think the corrosive effect from skin oils is what actually deadens the strings...

I feel like there's something to vibration, though...I mean, flats go dead, and there's not that many grooves to get oils and gunk caught in...though I'm sure just coating the string with my body garbage does the trick...

but vibration...You think, a steel string is not elastic...repeated vibration, tuning, retuning...

I think depression against metal frets helps too...probably leaves many indentations too small for the eye to see but they must contribute to something in the "deadening" process.

I wonder if you can kill a set faster by detuning every night and retuning every morning? My gut says the string will break first...

In the future I will invent a machine for jazz guitarists that will put on the equivalent of a hundred hours of play in a few seconds. I'll probably make enough money to buy some strings.

User Info Menu

Rotosound monel Top Tapes, only available AFAIK in 12 gauge, were pretty dead plugged in right outta the box when I tried them. I've read that GHS, stainless steel I believe, may also get you close to what you're seeking. I don't personally see putting gunk on strings as a viable option. Gross.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, it is a combination of factors. Corrosion that occurs when the string are first strung up and when they contact your skins oils, gunk accumulated during the playing process, contact with the frets which causes dents and divots, contact with a pick and the overall loss of elasticity as the string ages during the tuning and playing process.

If you want to build up gunk on your guitar string wipe them down with a light coat of machine oil, the oil will act like a magnet and cause more gunk to accumulate.

Myself, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and I prefer strings that are more lively and brighter in tone. Zone 1 and 2 in the weblink below.

What is The Guitar String Tone Curve Doing to Your Sound

User Info Menu

Rauen Guitars | Using Teflon Tape

Try a few layers between strings and saddles. Slows the rise time. Damps the decay. Dead as a doornail. No sticky stuff on the palms of the hands. No hairy palms either.

User Info Menu

In my experience chromes are very bright and I have some that never even developed a pleasant dead thunk. GHS was good for that and Thomastiks will after 6 months of heavy play for me (same as you about 3-4 hours a day) but more with a set of 13 or 14s. The 12s never really developed a thunk the same as the other sets and I think it is the lighter gauge that is closer to 11s on other sets. Unfortunately I don't know a way to get them there other than time and playing. I play bass too and guys sell and buy old used sets of upright strings because you just have to wait for them to mellow out and it can take a very long time. I don't ever change strings on electric or upright bass. I leave guitar strings on until I get fickle and want to try something else. I also wash my hands before playing because it is just gross (to me) to not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Rotosound monel Top Tapes, only available AFAIK in 12 gauge, were pretty dead plugged in right outta the box when I tried them. I've read that GHS, stainless steel I believe, may also get you close to what you're seeking. I don't personally see putting gunk on strings as a viable option. Gross.
    back when I used to own bucky pizzerelli's gretch 7 string (shameless plug ),I used tapewounds. Haven't tried them since. I was always worried I'd wear through the tape with the amount of hours I play but I should try a set.

I've tried the GHS before but not for years. I'll investigate. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I've never used tapewounds on guitar but a couple of my basses have them. A rough estimate but easily 1000 hours of play on them considering I never change bass strings and they sound sweet and have no damage. I don't use a pick anymore but I occasionally used one in the past and there is no wear down there - I wouldn't anticipate pick wear on guitar if I had them either since I don't have an aggressive pick attack. They feel great and I have always wanted to try them on guitar since I have tried almost every kind of string but I have been afraid of the gauges since I would have to widen the nut slots to accommodate them and if I didn't like them then I would need to fill the slots or cut a new one which is a lot of work to just try new strings.

i do have an aggressive attack and I also play funk stuff so I'm guessing i'd wear out the tape near my picking hand. Does it fray when it wears?

User Info Menu

i do have an aggressive attack and I also play funk stuff so I'm guessing i'd wear out the tape near my picking hand. Does it fray when it wears?
    I imagine if it wore all of the way through that it would just unwind at the break. I have had that at the headstock before I know how to attach them
    properly.

User Info Menu

It's interesting because on my archtops I like a dull, muted sound ala joe pass joy spring so I use flats. On my kessel and seventy seven I'm using flats. The strings on the kessel are deliciously dead so they sound wonderful for the tone I go for.

On my semis and solidbodies I like a brighter round wound string and a lighter guage but I want to deaden the strings on my seventy seven so they sound muted and dull like the older ones.

Anyone have any experience accomplishing this?
    1. Eat greasy slice of pizza
    2. Play guitar
    3. Repeat

John
    John

pepperoni grease is also good for oiling the fingerboard.

User Info Menu

pepperoni grease is also good for oiling the fingerboard.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

John

User Info Menu

back when I used to own bucky pizzerelli's gretch 7 string (shameless plug ),I used tapewounds. Haven't tried them since. I was always worried I'd wear through the tape with the amount of hours I play but I should try a set.

I've tried the GHS before but not for years. I'll investigate. Thanks.
    The Rotosound Top Tape are not black "tape" wound like what Bucky and his son use. They are just monel steel flat wounds. I and several people I've talked to thought they really do mello out after a fairly short while, not that they're bright to begin with, and they're not expensive to try.

ironically, since the time I originally posted this - and aided by wiping facial oil on the strings (boy does that ever sound gross) - the strings have deadened up a bit and sound more mellow...

User Info Menu

This is just a hunch, but I wonder if deliberately over-tensioning a string for a few hours might help deaden it. For example tune a half of whole step sharp overnight. For heavier gauge strings you might want to just do one or two strings at a time. I sometimes tune a half step sharp overnight to stretch the string to tuning stability, but I wonder if it also affects the tone.
    Last edited by KirkP; 09-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I like deeper, warmer Guitars and don't like bright strings either..

Never thought of pre- dulling them...

But I notice that Plain Steel Strings which are Plated get slightly duller in a good way over time also- how much grime can really be on them ?

So thinking of the abrasion against the Frets..possibly very light sanding with 600 to 1500 Microfine Sandpaper - and making sure NO abrasive particles remain by rinsing them off - might work.

And more extreme would be dropping them into a very mild acid etch like Ospho ( mild Phosphoric Acid Solution ) from Paint Stores used as a mild etch- rust remover ).. CLR might work also- then letting the strings dry ..still coiled OK ...
    Then rinse thoroughly let dry again and install- probably tiny etching and slight oxidation would possibly simulate 6 months in the air ...too weak to work on coated strings..
    For adventurous string deadeners.

Acid Jazz?

Heating them up in a toaster oven might cause some oxidation as well and swell them up microscopically loosening the windings ..which probably happens over time also....but total * speculation on all 3 things...
    *wild guessing actually.

Remember if you miss a Section of a String - it could become......"..Undead" for Halloween.

Actually I like the Elixirs not for the Nanoweb Coating but - they are 1/4 Dead already in a good way.

I have heard about some of the Pyramid Strings being very warm also but never tried them.

Warm Phatt sounding Naturally Muted Electric Guitars are a beautiful thing...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe if you really want dead strings right out of the box, just start with those strings you really don't like and think are already dull - - for me that'd be LaBella Flats......( ? )

User Info Menu

I have finally found a payoff for hoarding my old strings. When I change strings I keep the old ones since I usually only change strings when I am getting fickle and want to try something else, which happens every six months - a year. I wanted to put half rounds on my new guitar and had an old set in my string hoarding box. Put them on and now I have a nice worn in sound without having to wait months for them to get that way.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of dead flats on my archtop - 8-9 months of playing they started sounding great - but tuning, as in intonation starts to get tricky.
    I got a Tonerite
    with my custom made archtop a few years ago - so now its working on those strings when Im not playing it.
    I'll let you know if the thing actually works