The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 199

User Info Menu

That does sound about right. The ES-175 since the 90s is a fancier, fussier guitar. The woods are much more flamey, etc. Also, anyone who has played one of the 90s-2000s ES-175s will attest that they sound more "upscale" than they did back in the day.

Of course, the "back in the day" ES-175 was _one hell of a jazz guitar_ to begin with. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the fancier look of the newer 175. OTOH, I think they sound flippin' great.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have played a bunch of the copies, and for the money, I still think the Epiphone ES175 Premium is the closest in sound, feel, and look. Sometimes I put mine down long enough to play my Gibson ES175...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have played a bunch of the copies, and for the money, I still think the Epiphone ES175 Premium is the closest in sound, feel, and look. Sometimes I put mine down long enough to play my Gibson ES175...
    If it weren't for the thin neck the "epi premy" would be hard to find fault with...in my experience

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    If it weren't for the thin neck the "epi premy" would be hard to find fault with...in my experience
    And, as you of course know well, some people like the thinner neck. It isn't skinny-skinny, but it's slim to be sure. I find if I play my L5 a while, then move to the Gibson ES175, when I come to the Epiphone 175, I can really fly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    There's a brand called "Archtop Tribute" available from Walkin Guitars in Japan. Visit www.walkin.co.jp, select "ATC/Archtop Tribute" from the menu on the left.

These are apparently built from the same woods as the Gibson ES-175, and to the extent they have a reputation in the USA it's good.

They seem to have two lines: the higher-dollar ATC, and the lower-priced Archtop Tribute. A single-pickup ES-175 reproduction costs about US$2100 for ATC ATC175, US$1200 for Archtop Tribute AT-102

I have no idea whether these are available outside of Japan. And no, I haven't played one.
    I know this is an old post and apologize if it's a pain, but wondering where I should see the decimal point in the prices at this site? Depending, it could mean spending far more for a knockoff than the real deal on some of these...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    in that price range I'd look at the ibanez or greco copies. they will sound much more like a real 175 than the eastman which really don't have much of the 175 vibe . There's a great looking ibanez 175 copy in the forum at a reasonable price.
    Do you mean Ibanez AKJ-95? I have one, it has good tone, but how similar it is compared to Gibson 175, i can`t say, i don`t own such.

Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-img_1271h1080-jpg

I want to delete pic 0893, but i don`t know how to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-img_0893h1080-jpg 
    Last edited by savofenno; 08-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Has anyone mentioned the Peerless Gigmaster Jazz yet?

I

IMO a nice 175 clone for $1200.

User Info Menu

As far as getting as close to a "175 sound" as possible, what would you say is the best bang for the buck? New, used, modifiable. Pups/hardware aren't a problem since I would probably replace them with Fralins or Duncans (or any recommendations you might have) later on anyway.
    Thanks for the help, sincerely appreciate any.

User Info Menu

Epiphone ES-175 Premium. There are several examples of them in threads here, if you want to hear them.

User Info Menu

There are a number of Japanese copies of the ES175 under the names Aria Pro II, Bradley, etc. made by Matsumoku back in the 1970s, some of which are incredibly good. Ibanez made a copy of the ES175 that was superb. I own 3 ES175s and can speak to the quality of the Epiphone ES175 Premium. I also like my Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue, which I replaced the pickup on. Both are excellent playing and splendid sounding guitars coming in very well below $1000.

User Info Menu

Here is a video I made with a 1959 VOS ES175, a 2016 ES175 "Figured" and an Epiphone ES175 Premium.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread based on this video with lots of very helpful information and impressions about these guitars.

User Info Menu

I nominate an Ibanez AKJV95 for $700, or an Eastman AR372CE for $990.

User Info Menu

Um, if you are really looking for an affordable highest quality archtop with 175 dimensions - in terms of manufacturing and sound - a Hoyer 3060 from the 1970's is hard to beat.
    The risk would be that after some months you could start to forget what the numbers 175 are standing for in the guitar world. The price is about the half of what you would have to spend for a good 1950's 175.
    The drawback: 3060s are for bustling players only because the guitars are a bit harder to spot on the second hand market …

Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-hoyer-3060-sunburst-jpg

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR 372 CE and it's a superb guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neilspeers
    Recently saw a reasonably priced Ibanez Pat Methany model that was really tempting - plays very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a used Ibanez PM100 (one pup) can be found at very favorable prices. It's a great guitar. I gave $1500 for mine and I'm in Europe. US prices may well be lower

The thinner two pup model (PM120) can be found even cheaper, but has a slightly different vibe. The wiring with two volume pots and one tone, where the tone is placed before the volume in the wiring is also a bit odd.
    Last edited by Lobomov; 11-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know, it may only just be my ears, but when I think of the "175 sound" that sound is from a humbucker 175, not a P90 175. There's no "thunk" from any P90 based guitar that I know of. "175 sound" without thunk? Oooookay!

User Info Menu

I've been eyeing the Archtop Tribute products on Reverb:

User Info Menu

My preference is for the Guild CE-100 or CE-100D (Dual pickups). A 50’s model will run $1500 - $2000 which is more than some, but less than a Gibson. As for tone, it doesn’t necessarily replicate the Gibson, but to my ears it is preferable. I had a 1956 that was incredible, and like most people out here I sold it to fund another more expensive guitar. I don’t regret what it helped pay for, bit I deeply regret letting it go.

User Info Menu

I have a Washburn j3, plays pretty good actually. Nice neck, just has cheap Chinese wiring and cheap pickups. But those are easy fixes

User Info Menu

it really depends exactly what you mean by an es 175 type guitar..and which specific version..double humbucker, neck cc, neck p90, twin p90's etc etc..also must it be laminate?...must it have florentine cutaway?...etc etc

for a basic double humbucker lami florentine, tough to beat epi premium 175 or ibanez akjv95..they look the part!...for the least amount of cash...and are readily available...and the epi comes with gibby pups

cheers

ibanez

Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-21pw18040020-body-large-jpg

User Info Menu

ES-165 It nails the one pickup 175 sound mainly because it is a one pickup 175. I have seen players grade examples sell in the $1500 range.

User Info Menu

I would just say a good word for the Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue. I picked one up for about $450 and put a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickup in it, and have been delighted with this guitar. It plays well, sounds good, and the mahogany back/sides is a throwback to the ES175 "hogs" that many love so much.

Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-epiphone-zephyr-regent-6-jpgWho Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-epiphone-zephyr-regent-1-jpg

Here's a clip for any who want to hear it. Don't judge it by the player, though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    ES-165 It nails the one pickup 175 sound mainly because it is a one pickup 175. I have seen players grade examples sell in the $1500 range.
    Most of them ship with the 490R pickup, however, instead of the 57 Classic. I happen to like my ES165 with the 490R, but with 3 ES175s to play, I enjoy the difference. And there is a difference, to be sure. I like it, but a lot of people might not care for the 490R. Put a 57 Classic in there, though, and sure, the 165 would nail it.

User Info Menu

Seller says it is a 1972, probably European made version, says it is nitro finish (not something used by Asian manufacturers?) and pickups are schaller (could've been changed out though). Any thoughts?
    Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-20181120_195036-jpg
    Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-sid49acyta8po6cpha0y-jpg
    Who Makes the Best ES-175 Clones?-rx78z7hfepuov1xivwn9-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Seller says it is a 1972, probably European made version, says it is nitro finish (not something used by Asian manufacturers?) and pickups are schaller (could've been changed out though). Any thoughts?

If it's a 1972 then it would definitely be german made. But I doubt that it's a 1972. Some details point to asian made (e.g.: toggle switch). Not an expert on Hoyer but I had a 1975 ES 335 style and at the time have seen some 175 styles - the cutaway on those was different than on the guitar pictured above....