The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi firstly sorry about the bad pics my friend took them quickly, his father passed away and left a few nice guitars (loads actually) he himself is a fantastic player but has no interest in guitars which makes it difficult to find out, a close friend of his and a well known U.K. jazz Guitarist gave him quite a high valuation but he has had no luck selling, as it's a bit of an odd one. Any help or estimated value or model would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Contact Bob Benedetto at Benedettoguitars.com for specific info on this custom build. A letter of provenance would add greatly to it's value in this case.

User Info Menu

Agree with the above because this doesn't look like a Benedetto.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Agree with the above because this doesn't look like a Benedetto.
    Hi Rob, can you elaborate?

User Info Menu

55bar, I originally thought that because of the headstock shape , logo and double cut but this guitar might be a very early i.e. 1980's built guitar. Hence the reason to contact Bob.

Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock?
    Last edited by rob taft; 08-04-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    55bar, I originally thought that because of the headstock shape , logo and double cut but this guitar might be a very early i.e. 1980's built guitar. Hence the reason to contact Bob.

Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock?
    Hi Rob,

I just messaged the owner asking that, hopefully he will send it through, he basically just wants to sell it but is finding it difficult because it's unusual he was valued between £6000 and £8000 this to me seems very steep, he's aware he won't get.

User Info Menu

Alan De Mause has been pictured with a vaguely similar double cut guitar, although the headstock, bridge, fingerboard & tailpiece are different - benedetto didn't usually go for metal bridges or stop tailpieces. The pick guard and control layouts are similar.

User Info Menu

That just doesn't look like Bob's work to me. The neck inlay and headstock inlay say Fratello. The Benedetto logo is old style. Where it falls apart for me is the body. I'm not aware of any solid body guitars he produced before the Benny, and as I recall that was a chambered guitar.
    Bob is a super nice guy and very accessible. It might take him a few days to get back to you but he will. Please update us on any info.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    That just doesn't look like Bob's work to me. The neck inlay and headstock inlay say Fratello. The Benedetto logo is old style. Where it falls apart for me is the body. I'm not aware of any solid body guitars he produced before the Benny, and as I recall that was a chambered guitar.
    Bob is a super nice guy and very accessible. It might take him a few days to get back to you but he will. Please update us on any info.
    Thanks ST

I actually saw one similar a year or so ago on eBay, so I know some exist, but yes I'll get the serial and send bob an email, see if he can enlighten me.

User Info Menu

Howard Paul could also be of help. He's the current CEO, and has access to Bob's logbook, which lists all the guitars he built, with some details. His email is in another Benedetto thread here, IIRC. If not, I can give it to you via PM. You'll need the serial number, but with that, he can help you out. Value is another issue entirely, though.

User Info Menu

For a Benedetto this is not what most of those players are seeking. I cannot say what it is worth but not much I think. If you want something like this many better alternatives that are much easier to sell down the line. I would rather have a Les Paul or 335 any day those are much easier to buy and sell. Now a regular Benedetto carved top then sure different animal and market

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I actually think it does look like Bob Benedetto's work. The logo and inlays are identical to my '89 Fratello. The ebony truss rod cover with a single screw is exactly the way Bob did it. On page 236 of Bob's book "Making an Archtop Guitar" it says he made 157 electric solidbodies in '86/'87.
    Keith

User Info Menu

It does look like a Benedetto tobacco sunburst to my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It does look like a Benedetto tobacco sunburst to my eyes...
    I'm just not sure, I asked him this morning about the serial he said it didn't have one?....

User Info Menu

55bar, this is a mystery that Bob Benedetto can solve. I hope he replies to your query.

As for me, I don't put much stock on it that it might be an early Benedetto. Has curiousity value to me. I don't know about its valuation. Do collectors prize an early Benedetto solid body? I don't know. Gut tells me it is a difficult piece to move at even $2000. Kind of an oddball.

User Info Menu

If it's a Benedetto, it will have a serial number somewhere. But I don't know where. I know little to nothing about his solid bodies. It might be inside the electronics cavity, but that's just a wag. I would certainly look in there, though.

User Info Menu

Open the control cavity in the back. The serial number is probably on a label there. Bob did it that way I think in the early days. This looks like one of his guitars. Hopefully he can provide some detail. A letter from him about it would be great too.