The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

By the way, the numbers on the preamp suggest that the amp is an '84 model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soybasedriffs
    Are there capacitors in the reverb tank? The ones in the preamp chassis look pretty good with a visible inspection, I'm not sure how to check them electrically what I would be looking for
    Darn, sad to hear! At least we can say we tried!

I recommend that You leave the amp for an experienced tech. I don't know if You are one of them or not but it is better for the amp and for Your health to leave the inspection for a qualified person.

I hope You get rid of the hum!

All is well my friend thank you so much for your help, hey, you know, that's what pedals are for. I've got pedals too man, I can make it sound like it's in a room!

84, cool. Do you know if it's a 1 2 3 or 4? I can never tell and I have read some of the forums on this and I still can't tell.

User Info Menu

It's a Teeny Brute. The 10" speaker is the giveaway. IMO, it is a more desirable amp than the I, II, III, or IV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    By the way, the numbers on the preamp suggest that the amp is an '84 model.
    Do You mean the '#604' marking? The last digit of the number is the last digit of the year?

Good to know - can't ask for any better than that

I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone who replied on this post, as well as Goodwill, and to whomever comes along after me thinking there might be a full curtain set, I'm really sorry, there was, there is no longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polytone Mini Teeny Brute - What year was this one made?-image-jpg Polytone Mini Teeny Brute - What year was this one made?-image-jpg Polytone Mini Teeny Brute - What year was this one made?-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Do You mean the '#604' marking? The last digit of the number is the last digit of the year?
    Quote Originally Posted by soybasedriffs
    I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone who replied on this post, as well as Goodwill, and to whomever comes along after me thinking there might be a full curtain set, I'm really sorry, there was, there is no longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Looks like early '80s. About '83.
    Hello Everybody!I’m new here. I’ve read lots of post on polytone mbII.
    I bought one diamond with red Knob distorsion.
    serial number is 12311

speaker number is
    12-0147
    137-8113

Can you tell me what year is?
    what kind of speaker is? does it correct for his period or had been replaced?

the amp look and sound great but has the “antenna” hum on reverb.
    regards

User Info Menu

I’m new here. I’ve read lots of post on polytone mbII.
    serial number is 12310

speaker number is
    12-0147137-8113

the amp look and sound great but has the “antenna” hum on rev

User Info Menu

Polytone switched over from the felt covering to the diamond vinyl covering around 1982, IIRC. (My jazz mentor while I attended university was a Polytone dealer. In fact, it was the only amplification equipment he carried in his store--serious jazzbo.)

I own Polytone amps from the pebbled Tolex/aluminum control panel period, late felt/white front period, the felt/foam grille "cloth" period, the diamond "Tolex" period, the black thin textured Tolex/black (with red trim) control panel period, and the blue Tolex/metal grille period. They are, respectively, mid-70s, late-70s, early-80s, early/mid-80s, mid-80s, early-90s.

Your diamond amp was made for a brief period between 1982-1985. Before that, the amps were felt covered. After that, they featured a black, comparatively non-textured Tolex covering with a black woven cloth grille cloth. This was from about 1985/6-1989, when the grilles switched to a metal panel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billy21
    I’m new here. I’ve read lots of post on polytone mbII.
    serial number is 12310

speaker number is
    12-0147137-8113

cts brand speaker built the 13th week of 1981... i.e. early april 81

cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah. Bet it's an '82 MBII. I love my MBII with CTS speaker. One of the best amps I have ever owned.

Enjoy.

User Info Menu

thank you!
    you are very kind!
    I bring my amp to an expert technician.
    I will let you know about “hum” and buzz problem and post here the modification.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cts brand speaker built the 13th week of 1981... i.e. early april 81

cheers
    thank you!!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Greentone;911287]Yeah. Bet it's an '82 MBII. I love my MBII with CTS speaker. One of the best amps I have ever owned.

I think is beautiful! even compared with my twin reverb 65.
    So do you think the diamond II is the nicest polytone model ever made?
    I only played few times with sonic circuit 15” early 90’s and i have to say, they are beautiful but I can’t recognize any difference apart bass frequency stronger response.

thanks again for all the information about my amp

User Info Menu

What’s the issues solutions on polytone mini brute ii?
    I noticed those on mine:

1) reverb (almost all) (works but microphonic sound, seems an antenna)
    2) distorted sound on treble side (just the tail of the notes seems distorted)
    3) almost unuseful treble pot
    4) vibrations

I bet you guys have all the repair solution. thanks