The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Years ago, Howard Paul let me try his Benedetto 7 string that was given to him by Jimmy Bruno. The action was incredible! Super low, no neck relief and not a dead spot anywhere. The sound was typical Benedetto; sweet, punchy and perfectly balanced.
    I have heard that he retired it.

While nowhere in the same category as that guitar, my Ibanez AF-155 comes surprisingly close in action and sound.
    Ibanez does an incredible job on affordable guitars. Watch some of Jake Reichbart's youtube videos, and more often than not, that is what he is playing. I owned one for a while, but had to move on a couple of guitars to get my Citation. Had that not happened, I am sure I would have been perfectly happy with the Ibanez for quite some time.

Tony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the mid 60's, my teacher, Sid Margolis, had a non-cut L5, which I think was from 1939. I can still remember the sound, including something that seemed like natural reverb.

User Info Menu

I have never bonded with just one guitar. At different times throughout my life I have played a variety of Strats, Gibson LP, Heritages, Harmonys, Epiphones and a lot of different Gibson archtops: 175s, numerous L7s, a few L5s and of course, Johnny Smiths. If I had to choose just one, without a doubt it would be the Johnny Smith, with my L5 as a second choice. I own two GJS - a 74 and an 81. Both are very different but equally as satisfying to play. The 74 is a bit darker, richer sound with the 81 being just a tad brighter. I have gigged with both and never been disappointed with the sound.

User Info Menu

Gibson | Chuck Berry 1955 ES-350T

Gibson Chuck Berry reissue. It was better than anything else I’ve ever played.

User Info Menu

My Trenier Model E:

What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-d8b7c1b2-4a80-4b1c-9355-ec5d9b479000-jpgWhat is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-e67fa0ad-6657-48ab-81e7-4efe0e51bfa9-jpgWhat is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-389310b2-85e1-4e0e-9a3a-e9f3c87094a6-jpgWhat is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-5ea561c5-b14b-4280-b3c9-2635d7138cf8-jpg

User Info Menu

Without a doubt, my 2007 Pat Martino Custom.
    Everything about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-54748393-2889-4f4e-896e-51a674873b17-jpg What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-e0033e05-a36e-4c86-80cd-d51fbad18e82-jpg 

User Info Menu

Dammit I’m glad I’m not the first one answering with more than one guitar because Joey I just can’t answer one guitar.

I have a blonde 1940 and a Sunburst 1939 L5 non cutaway
    they both have incredible tone and are super easy to play

And electrically I have my four Unity carved guitars
    The unitys are probably the best guitars I have in my entire collection

BigMike

User Info Menu

Yep. I thought I had answered this thread when it first appeared. So I scrolled through looking for which guitar I had chosen. I remembered incorrectly. I hadn't answered. Now I'll never know which guitar is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Dammit I’m glad I’m not the first one answering with more than one guitar because Joey I just can’t answer one guitar.

I have a blonde 1940 and a Sunburst 1939 L5 non cutaway
    they both have incredible tone and are super easy to play

And electrically I have my four Unity carved guitars
    The unitys are probably the best guitars I have in my entire collection

BigMike
    The big 18 inch Unity is a wonderful sounding guitar I have played it. It has sound all over the place in spades. I have also played the 39 L5 and it is a Woofer, a deep throbbing sound and thick. The 39 L5 is a guitar you would pick up and simply play like Freddie Green and keep Basie right on the beat, no need to plug it in. So if I had to pick between these two, I would give the Unity a decent nod as it plays a much more modern sound across the whole spectrum.

As far as picking just one guitar over all that is a tall order to just pick one a forget the rest. But let's face it since they are guitars not wives, we can live a little. On the other had there was Mary Jo and she wins.

User Info Menu

The easiest playing guitar I've ever had is one of the Ibanez Jems I currently own. The 'best' all around guitar I ever played was a mid 50's L7 cutaway at Mandolin Brothers years ago. It was blond with the single McCarty pickguard/pickup but I only played in acoustically. It was sublime.

User Info Menu

best neck I ever played
    (for me) was an Ibanez JP20

smooth as silk with a bit of fight ....
    yum

User Info Menu

I’ve had a fair amount of inexpensive and mid-grade guitars over the years but never played anything that would be considered near the apex. The closest would be the Gibson Solid Formed Florentine I had for awhile that was a prototype with a Biltoft CC. Had the most interesting natural reverb and complex acoustic/electric tone. Hated parting with it. Still, though, my bone stock Squier CV Tele covers so many bases and feels so right that even though it’s worth a fraction of the Gibson I’d often grab it first. A set of flats and a tune up and it’s been a delight since it came home to me. Can’t fault simplicity, I guess.

User Info Menu

I played a few Benedetto's at the Artisan show in PA , the B16 was superb.

My PRS McCarty 594 Hollowbody II is the best sounding electric I've played unplugged , it is quite delicious plugged in through my Mesa Rosette. I like it even more than my Heritage H575 C

User Info Menu

In the interest of sticking to the only-one rule, I’ll nominate my Seventy-seven Hawk Jazz Deep. it’s a phenomenal instrument. I’ve never played another archtop that suited me better, and the playability and craftsmanship are as good as anything I’ve tried.

I’ve tried some amazing guitars (a few L5’s, a real D’Angelico), and I can certainly see the appeal, but they didn’t leave me feeling like I had to have them or that more modest guitars were a compromise. I once tried a Marchione-made Pensa strat, and that’s probably the only guitar I’ve tried that left me feeling like maybe I should sell a kidney.

User Info Menu

For me, it would be my 2018 Gibson Memphis ES335 Traditional in small block inlays/cherry. Not because it is the best ever guitar that I ever owned or own today, but because it is THE most versitile guitar I ever encountered. I play bigband. I have vintage L5s, a DA NY, vintage Gretsch etc, nothing can compare to this "I can do anything for you" beast. It very frequently goes to rehearsels and performances. It is allways both ready to go from pleasant Latin, screaming overdive rock to classy swing Bigband within seconds. My vintage Les Paul Custom is not that good/versitile, nor is my vintage L5CES. She is allmost all times by my side and that makes me ready for whatever tune is called for. But hey, I mostly allways take 2 or even 3 guitars to a rehearsal or a gig.
    What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-dsc00949-jpg

User Info Menu

Tough assignment. If the question was: "If you only could have one guitar, what would it it be?" Then my answer would be my '03 Gretsch Tennessee Rose. The guitar is so versatile. It can cover everything from rock to jazz.

I have other guitars that are reeeeeally nice. But even though I know I'm still on the honeymoon, I have to say that my new Palen 7 string is the "best" guitar I've ever played. I'm blown away by the tone, both acoustically and amplified. The fretboard and neck are like they were designed for me by an ergonomics expert. Finally the craftsmanship is impeccable. It's a shame that Nelson Palen got sick.

User Info Menu

My 2021 Collings I35 lc

User Info Menu

1961 Ramirez 1A E Cypress, Euro Spruce , friction pegs, 650 scale Flamenco guitar made by shop foreman Contreras

1969 Martin D-35S

User Info Menu

My Steve Andersen Streamline... What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-pxl_20221121_155400833-jpg
    What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-pxl_20221121_155432096-jpg

User Info Menu

Define best!
    My favourite guitar is my ES 330 because it has character and suits our music. My Ibanez GB is more perfect and I love it too, but IMHO opinion the ES has more "mojo".

User Info Menu

I use an Ibby GB10em for jazz, but the best guitar I've ever had is my Warmoth/Eden/etc parts strat;

What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-sparkle-10-22-jpg

User Info Menu

Early '50s L-7 I got to try at Matt Umanov's about ten years ago. Superb for authentic big-band comping. But the triangular neck profile was a dealbreaker, and so was my tourist budget.

User Info Menu

PRS DGT and Gibson Custom ES335 VOS. Choosing between those two and leaving one behind is like a limb being severed, but I’d probably pick the DGT because I can do _anything_ with it.

User Info Menu

Without question, Wes Montgomery’s actual L5 courtesy of Stan Jay at Mandolin Brothers. This would have been sometime in the Summer of 2001. What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-d7664356-9925-408c-8e8b-4d2cc1664758-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks
    I use an Ibby GB10em for jazz, but the best guitar I've ever had is my Warmoth/Eden/etc parts strat;

What is the best guitar you've ever played? There could only be one..-sparkle-10-22-jpg
    When you make it yourself, and it's made just for you the way you want it, it can become some ideal of perfection that nothing else can touch. It's dangerous for me to even visit the Warmoth website.