The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

This must include similar products. My wondering is whether this shortens the live of strings, or has any other disadvantage like producing neck grime or similar? I have recently been using it as proscribed, prior to and after practice and actually be quite pleased with the feel on the neck and strings.

Other experiences/opinions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to use Fastfret. It does what it says but the effects don't last that long. Nowadays I just oil the neck, don't let the strings get too old and give them a rub-down after playing. Good enough. Nothing lasts forever.

User Info Menu

I like the Dunlop lemon oil better!

User Info Menu

I have used fast fret. It was okay. Ernie Ball makes string cleaning wipes that I prefer. As for the neck, I oil the neck with lemon oil when I change the strings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

FastFret is one of those things I think most guitar players use for awhile then habit just fades. I used to see Joe Diorio use it at GIT so I tried it for awhile and eventually stopped. I'd say as long as wiping your neck down when done no ill effects.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for you responses. I am surprised that FastFret is compared to Lemon Oil. I have alway thought of these two products as having two different areas of use. Lemon Oil to clean the neck when changing all the strings at the same time, this leads to having to redo the intonation. FastFret in my mind gives a nice slick feeling to my flat wounds, and provides a comfort in sliding up and down the fretboard.

I change strings ever now and then, often trying to avoid taking all off at the same time, but rather one at a time. Less seldom I take all off, clean the neck with Lemon Oil and am forced into redoing the intonation. According to that description FAstFret and Lemon Oil are two different products that achieve two different functions. Do my fellow guitarist agree, or are there different approaches?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Thank you all for you responses. I am surprised that FastFret is compared to Lemon Oil. I have alway thought of these two products as having two different areas of use. Lemon Oil to clean the neck when changing all the strings at the same time, this leads to having to redo the intonation. FastFret in my mind gives a nice slick feeling to my flat wounds, and provides a comfort in sliding up and down the fretboard.

I change strings ever now and then, often trying to avoid taking all off at the same time, but rather one at a time. Less seldom I take all off, clean the neck with Lemon Oil and am forced into redoing the intonation. According to that description FAstFret and Lemon Oil are two different products that achieve two different functions. Do my fellow guitarist agree, or are there different approaches?
    I agree.

Lemon oil or nut oil is for keeping the fretboard from drying out, conditioning the wood. Fastfret is for reducing resistance between string and finger.

User Info Menu

I use fastfret. I wipe it on the strings, morst just prior to a performance and once in a while at home. For me it feels like it helps to slide easier up and down the strings. I do not think it influences the life span of strings in any way.
    I use also lemon oil when I think the fretboard gets to dry. Dry fretboards can crack if they are too dry.

User Info Menu

I have never used it and frankly unless the fingerboard is cracking and dry I would not put too much on it. A little lemon oil would not hurt anything but I do not like the feeling after using it. A drop of Wahl Clipper oil would work too but again I think these things are can be overdone.

User Info Menu

I have used it and the strings felt different after use. I did not notice any practical difference when playing. Can leave lints on round wound strings. Don't use it any more.

User Info Menu

I've been using Fast Fret for over 20 years, I use round wounds and it's helped me get extra life out of my strings, especially during warmer months where your hands might perspire a bit. Helps reduce any string drag.

I don't use it on brand new strings, I wait till I've got a good dozen hours use on my strings, then I'll use it to maintain that sound for a lot longer than if I didn't use it.

I'm out of the house 3-4 days a week for gigs and rehearsals, I'm not crazy about new strings, this keeps them feeling and sounding good every time I play, so what's not to like? Cheap, easy to use, supply lasts forever.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for responding!

User Info Menu

No. Why?

In the hot Spanish summer days (and nights) I use small spray bottles with water on stage. I apply that stuff (h²o) to the fret board, fingertips etc. and then wipe it with some cloth, typically a small towel. That cleans my fingers and the fretboard from sweat, the main reason for that sticky feeling that prevents from playing fast under these conditions.

As for oils and other treatments. Wood that is too dry is "dehydrated" a.k.a. lack of water. If you look closer into the physics of wood you'll learn that oil almost does not penetrate the wood, it stays mainly on the surface. Fat (oil = fat) typically doesn't occur naturally in wood. It's traditionally used to seal the surface of wood, so the not entering /penetrating is a feature, not a bug. If you want to know more about sealing wood surfaces read here: Wood finishing - Wikipedia

Rosewood and ebony (and some other tropical woods) do not need to be sealed, opposite to maple for example. That's why maple fingerboards are always lacquered. Also these exotic woods are very dense so oil enters even less than in - say - spruce or oak.

So treating the fingerboard with oil might superficially enhance the look and maybe even clean some residues but is not really necessary.

And as an anti-sticky means I suggest the use of water. Therefore I consider all these "care products" to be more or less scam.

PS. Picture of some of my water sprayers attached.

Anyone use Fastfret?-water-jpg
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 07-23-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: better

User Info Menu

I like fast fret. I only use it on the strings though. I spray it on a blue shop towel and wipe down the strings. I get stage fright so I always use it if I am playing for people. It helps with my sweaty nervous hands. I love the slick feel.
    I am like Tal Farlow. The first song my heart is pounding then I calm down. I use it a lot and my strings last a long time. A can lasts forever.

User Info Menu

Used it until moving to France with its summer temperatures in the mid to upper 30 degs. Not noticed when in the UK but very aware over here of a build-up of sticky resin on strings. Not nice. Now run D'andrea string cleaner on a cloth under the strings ( protect fretboard with a piece of card ) then on top. If things ever get really bad, have been known to clean them with silver polish or an impregnated silver cleaning cloth.

User Info Menu

I use it.

Seems there are still some who think it's for the fingerboard - it's just for the strings. If I'm not mistaken, it's just mineral oil, with possibly a tiny bit of mineral spirits (white spirit, for those of you over yonder).

If my strings are new-ish, I will purposely only apply it to the unwound strings. After they're a bit older, all of the strings get it, but they get wiped of promptly.

User Info Menu

Fast Fret is mineral oil. That and a clean cloth will remove some residue and lube the strings, though it won't take care of major oxidation (rubbing alcohol will help with that). It does help with sticky strings when it's humid.

I use lemon oil for the fretboard when changing strings. It is not derived from fruit and is a petroleum-based product. Wood fretboards don't need feeding but will dry out. Oils which penetrate will condition the wood and prevent cracking and other issues.

If you deal with antique furniture, you know how oils and waxes like Howards will enhance the wood. There's nothing wrong with oiling the fretboard fro time to time.

User Info Menu

Yes I use as strings get older and when weather is warmer. Cleans them nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your replies. I guess this confirms for me that, a. the product does not have unwanted affects on either strings or neck, b. nor does it seem to add to neck grime or any other issues. Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

I don't use it. I simply wipe my strings down every few songs and after I'm done for the day. I don't want any oil on my strings, because bent notes are a big part of my style and I want grip.

For fretboard conditioning, I use lemon oil once a year or so on rosewood or ebony, after cleaning with a little naphtha.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit59
    I use it.

Seems there are still some who think it's for the fingerboard - it's just for the strings.
    GHS touts its uses as string and fretboard cleaning on their website. The ad copy at Sam Ash's website mentions "lubricating the neck", lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit59
    If I'm not mistaken, it's just mineral oil, with possibly a tiny bit of mineral spirits (white spirit, for those of you over yonder).
    I don't know about the spirits -- it may or may not have 'em -- but FF is based on mineral oil.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 07-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, actually, I think you can rub it on the fretboard. It's just like oiling up the FB after a string change.

I never saw the point in making the strings slippery. I don't think it does that for more than 30 seconds anyway.

But I used it as a string cleaner, after I play, and for that it works well, prolonging the life of the strings. If you get some on your fingerboard as well, it's a bonus.