Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 Studio is back-csl5psl11064_main_hero_01-jpg
    Gibson L-5 Studio is back-csl5psl11063_main_hero_01-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh man. I want one - I always loved the older ones ever since seeing Mark Whitfield play his in person at a jazz camp I went to in '99. I like the older colors though over these ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I am wondering if they mean for this model to really appeal to a jazz crowd? They look like "Gretschy" colours. That's not a bad thing necessarily but it mightn't be what a typical L-5 buyer would want.
    Last edited by entresz; 07-19-2017 at 01:29 AM. Reason: clicked post too early

User Info Menu

A green archtop? Have they been drinking?

Classic Gibson strategy: a standard L5 is now way overpriced, so they come with a low budget version. Not a bad thing! I've been playing an ES-333 for years now, basically a low budget ES-335 and it's every bit as good! Especially after the '57 classic upgrade of the pickups (they can still be had for a third of the price of a 335).

That L5 studio looks interesting. No bindings and flower pot inlay? Who needs those anyway? Now a green archtop.... that's a no-no! :-)
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-19-2017 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh my great homey jeebus. What can I sell to swing one o those?? Lemme see...I could get by with *one* kidney...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I am wondering if they mean for this model to really appeal to a jazz crowd? They look like "Gretschy" colours. That's not a bad thing necessarily but it mightn't be what a typical L-5 buyer would want.
    Nothing a little acetone and elbow grease can't fix.... Gibson L-5 Studio is back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

In two years they'll discontinue it. In 3 years a big name will make their image playing one. In 5 years they'll be the hottest collectable. In 10 years they'll have the cache of a gold top Les Paul and the sound and collectability of the premier L-5. And everyone will say "Remember when you could just buy one stock from GC for less than a new L-5 now?"

David

User Info Menu

Why don't they just make an es-350 or and L-7 reissue instead?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    a standard L5 is now way overpriced, so they come with a low budget version.
    Budget - at five and a half grand....?

User Info Menu

baby-sh*t green? is this for the Gretsch market?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Budget - at five and a half grand....?
    Haha, well okay....relatively speaking then :-)

User Info Menu

"Cartridge Brass" and "Army Green".

?

I'd still take one. Or both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    In two years they'll discontinue it. In 3 years a big name will make their image playing one. In 5 years they'll be the hottest collectable. In 10 years they'll have the cache of a gold top Les Paul and the sound and collectability of the premier L-5. And everyone will say "Remember when you could just buy one stock from GC for less than a new L-5 now?"

David
    Great. Please let it be Joe Bonamassa or some other rock player otherwise we're stuck with future generations of jazz guitarists wanting baby-sh*t green archtops..... oh boy....

User Info Menu

Nice, and "attractive", relatively speaking

But :
    deal breaker for me : 10-46 set of strings (guess it adds some rock and roll flair, like the finish)
    and a thinline is what I "need".

User Info Menu

Colour and factory strings aside, it has some interesting specifications compared to those of the original L-5 Studio:
    -old-school three-piece neck (under that opaque finish) as opposed to 5-piece
    -carved top/carved back, as opposed to carved top/laminated back
    -rosewood board as opposed to ebony board
    -L-5 tailpiece as opposed to various versions of the bale tailpiece

User Info Menu

Change the colors and you have a great axe Gibson. Really nice guitar but homey don't do green or copper.
    Figure around $4500 street which isn't bad.

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 Studio is back-15895748_1414815741863903_1151465275313344312_o-jpg

A real L5 tailpiece in nickelplate. And I even like combat green!

Win.

User Info Menu

I like it ... especially the "cartridge brass" color ...... even the baby poop green will probably look better in person

and I've been playing in a band lately with active US Army musicians .. so these colors would fit right in LOL .. except that I'm playing bass

Is $5500 the MAP or MSRP? Wonder what the street price will be here in the US ... and maybe our overseas brothers and sisters can get a deal as well

And we're talking Gibson here ..... what they put on their website is rarely the last word ...

My bet is that the dealers will be ordering these in more traditional colors like sunburst, wine red, ebony, and blonde .... maybe with an upcharge

nothing on line at Sweetwater or GC or other dealers, yet

We'll see if Gibson has the patience to leave this one in its line up long enough to develop a market for it ....

It does say limited run, though ... but the bigger dealers can usually order anything they want

User Info Menu

Spec. sheet sez - Quantity available, 25 Army Green, 25 Cartridge Brass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

And I even like combat green!

Win.
    Makes sense, after all, quite a few jazzgigs turn out to become a battlefield .....

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, but I thought the original L5 Studio had a carved top, but laminated back and sides. This new one is all carved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    I could be wrong, but I thought the original L5 Studio had a carved top, but laminated back and sides. This new one is all carved.
    You are right. The original L5 Studio has an unbound ebony fretboard, too, 5-piece neck and Classic 57s. These new ones are black-bound rosewood and have a 3-piece neck and the Custom Buckers seen in the Les Paul Historics. They are not available for sale as aftermarket spares.

Here is an example: Gibson L-5 Studio Archtop – Guitar Gallery
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey... That looks like mine!!

Gibson L-5 Studio is back-l5studio-jpg

I got this from NYC Jazzman Ron Jackson. It is featured on a few of his albums and all over youtube.
    Just a splendid guitar, with GB14's and my Polytone it has "The" sound.
    Ron replaced the 57's with a Seth Lover on the neck and a Bennedetto on the bridge.

Here is "One for Melvin" by Ron a tribute to his mentor, Melvin Sparks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    Ron replaced the 57's with a Seth Lover on the neck and a Bennedetto on the bridge.

Here is "One for Melvin" by Ron a tribute to his mentor, Melvin Sparks.

What a gorgeous fat sound! I wonder what amp/speaker he's playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Nice, and "attractive", relatively speaking

But :
    deal breaker for me : 10-46 set of strings (guess it adds some rock and roll flair, like the finish)
    and a thinline is what I "need".
    If a guitar comes from the factory with strings you don't like that's a dealbreaker?

John