The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

I don't normally post new guitar days but I felt compelled to share this purchase.

Roger Borys has been making professional jazz guitars for many decades and was close friends with Jim D'Aquisto. Roger actually made the laminate plates for Jimmy D and learned many fine points of building from the Master. Roger currently resides in Hoboken NJ and builds his instruments "to order" and rarely has availability. His most celebrated model is the B120.

In 2016 - I went to Rogers shop to meet with him and we shared hours of stories and pictures of Jimmy D - whom we both truly admired. Additionally - Roger has a wall of Jimmy and John D pics along with CD's of all the pros playing his guitars - it's very impressive .

Roger agreed to build me a B120 deluxe with a 1-3/4 nut and a modified V shape neck. The build process normally takes 18 months - but since I was able to select a body from a recent batch - It took only 13 months .

When I first picked up the guitar and strummed one chord I was blown away !! It sounds like a hand carved Archtop with a warm clarity and perfect intonation to the very last fret. The volume is balanced and the trebles are real fat like a D'Aquisto. The brass tail pc adds just the right amount of reverb and the playability is superb. The fret work is impeccable and not a single buzz anywhere. He nailed my build request precisely. The appointments are beautiful and the finish is sort of a flat low gloss with a patina added to the tail pc. While the finish / relic touch may turn some folks off - I find it working for me because it's different and kind of cool. It's like a new vintage guitar with a warm broken in sound.

I've had the guitar nearly a week and can't put it down. In comparison to my Trenier Jazz electric - this is a heavier build and sounds like a hybrid of an early 60's ES-175 and a D'Aquisto excel - it's that good - with tremendous unplugged volume for a laminate (Vinny would love this guitar) . The Trenier is feather light and has this creamy warmth and sounds exactly like Jimmy's Jazz electric. Both real winners in different ways - which is just perfect for me.

There are many stories about buying guitars from Roger - but I can tell you that my experience was awesome. He is a man of few words and really doesn't want to get bogged down with too many details - but will listen to your needs . For those wanting a top notch jazz guitar played by world renowned jazz pros and educators - it's certainly worth the wait ( and dollars ) and B120 resale values are very good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A super, duper, big Congrats Steve! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

I have heard that Roger's guitars are in a different league from most of the builders who are alive today. Your post confirms this. Roger is not a youngster either. It may be quite wise to obtain one of his guitars while one can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    A super, duper, big Congrats Steve! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

I have heard that Roger's guitars are in a different league from most of the builders who are alive today. Your post confirms this. Roger is not a youngster either. It may be quite wise to obtain one of his guitars while one can.
    Stringswinger,
    Thank you ! This guitar is in another league and well worth the money. Roger is getting up in age and like Jimmy he is set in his ways - buts that OK - when it comes to guitar building he knows exactly what hes doing..... big time.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 07-19-2017 at 06:38 AM.

User Info Menu

You are darn tooting Vinny would love this guitar. Now that is my kind of axe. Congrats and due enjoy my friend !!!!
    If I wasn't old as dirt I would order one too but these days I am even afraid to buy green bananas. Love that axe.
    That's a out of the ballpark git right there.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    You are darn tooting Vinny would love this guitar. Now that is my kind of axe. Congrats and due enjoy my friend !!!!
    If I wasn't old as dirt I would order one too but these days I am even afraid to buy green bananas. Love that axe.
    That's a out of the ballpark git right there.
    Vinny,
    Thanks my friend. I know you like the sound and timbre of thicker tops and this has it in spades. This guitar would sound fat with 9's. Ive got 12's on it and its warm and sweet sounding. Its has a 15-1/2 lower bout , 2.800 body depth and 24-3/4 scale , but sounds like a full sized archtop. My wife said today that it sounds like one of Jimmys guitars.

Last edited by QAman; 07-18-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Last edited by QAman; 07-18-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by QAman

User Info Menu

The B120 does indeed have a big box sound for such a compact guitar, and they DO hold their value so you are not throwing money away. I'd still have mine if I had ordered it with block inlays instead of none.
    Roger is a talented man though he functions completely in his own time zone devoid of reference frames.
    Yours came a light speed! He is a good man though relating to him requires patience and detachment.
    Pat Kelley and Emily & Emily Remler got great tone from their B120's.
    The B120 is a jazz icon IMHO right up there with 175's, L5's, and Super 400's etc.
    A hearty congratulations!

John Pisano/Pat Kelley
    Last edited by helios; 07-19-2017 at 01:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats QAman, you now own what is IMHO one of the best laminates made.
    I've owned my B-120 for over 15 years, and still play it at least two hours a day.

Then I play shows at night with my Borys B-222. I doubt I'll ever buy another guitar.

User Info Menu

A monsta guitar. You're a lucky man, but I'm sure it's in the right hands. Have fun together!

User Info Menu

That is superb congrats

User Info Menu

Beautiful.

I also had a great experience with Roger in the last few years, and (sensibly) withdrew my B120 from sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    The B120 does indeed have a big box sound for such a compact guitar, and they DO hold their value so you are not throwing money away. I'd still have mine if I had ordered it with block inlays instead of none.
    Roger is a talented man though he functions completely in his own time zone devoid of reference frames.
    Yours came a light speed! He is a good man though relating to him requires patience and detachment.
    Pat Kelley and Emily & Emily Remler got great tone from their B120's.
    The B120 is a jazz icon IMHO right up there with 175's, L5's, and Super 400's etc.
    A hearty congratulations!

John Pisano/Pat Kelley
    Helios,
    Your words are very true and thanks for the congrats. For those with patience - it's worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Congrats QAman, you now own what is IMHO one of the best laminates made.
    I've owned my B-120 for over 15 years, and still play it at least two hours a day.

Then I play shows at night with my Borys B-222. I doubt I'll ever buy another guitar.
    Sgcim,
    Thanks for the kind words. I agree entirely - there is something extraordinary about his laminates. The tone , feel and playability just encourages a creativity I've only found in a few guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    A monsta guitar. You're a lucky man, but I'm sure it's in the right hands. Have fun together!
    Thanks Rob - I'm having lots of fun with this one

Quote Originally Posted by Balanwood
    Beautiful.

I also had a great experience with Roger in the last few years, and (sensibly) withdrew my B120 from sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Balanwood,
    Glad your experience was good - and very smart of you to keep yours.

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    That is superb congrats
    Fws6,
    Thank you - it really is a special guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    That is superb congrats
    Fws6,
    Thanks - it's really a fine guitar.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Steve! Beautiful! If you ever record it please put me on the list to receive the sound file. So i see that Roger also builds one piece necks ... did you happen to ask him why he doesn't laminate them?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Congratulations Steve! Beautiful! If you ever record it please put me on the list to receive the sound file. So i see that Roger also builds one piece necks ... did you happen to ask him why he doesn't laminate them?
    Hi Beat- hope all is well. I never did question Roger on the neck. I basically had in my head that I want a B120 deluxe in the amber finish and was going to let him do his thing.

We communicated maybe 6 times throughout the build and all went well. I think my connection with Jim D helped form a bond - and Roger actually invited me to a party he was having for his Daughter, but unfortunately I was out of town on business.

For a jazz purist like yourself - you might want to get one of these - the price is certainly right and you won't be disappointed.

If I record I will be sure to send you something .

User Info Menu

Oh Wow!
    QA, I absolutely LOVE the shape of the body. And the barber pole neck.. The treatment on the back of the headstock and shape of the headstock too.
    I love the maple bindings. And binding everywhere!
    And I know you are gonna play it. And you will play it incredibly well too.
    Roger's connection to the greats adds something to that guitar that can't be duplicated. When he scrapes a binding or sets a neck angle he can recall memories of Jimmy talking about what makes a guitar sound its very best. Not too many other living "super" Luthiers can do that.
    QA, you've been around. You talk the talk and walk the walk, no doubt. You have seen and owned the best of the best. You don't mess around. We are so lucky to have you on this forum. No bullshit. You are the real deal.

Enjoy that guitar. Line up all the perfection you own and ENJOY them. You deserve it. You are a really good guy who shares things with people that not many others can (or will) share. Thanks buddy.

Great post. Even Greater Guitar.

Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

Congrats on an awesome acquisition. That's a keeper.

User Info Menu

Simply superb. That neck is carved from a particularly fine piece of maple. I very strongly doubt it will ever give rise to any problems, save perhaps being difficult to put down. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Oh Wow!
    QA, I absolutely LOVE the shape of the body. And the barber pole neck.. The treatment on the back of the headstock and shape of the headstock too.
    I love the maple bindings. And binding everywhere!
    And I know you are gonna play it. And you will play it incredibly well too.
    Roger's connection to the greats adds something to that guitar that can't be duplicated. When he scrapes a binding or sets a neck angle he can recall memories of Jimmy talking about what makes a guitar sound its very best. Not too many other living "super" Luthiers can do that.
    QA, you've been around. You talk the talk and walk the walk, no doubt. You have seen and owned the best of the best. You don't mess around. We are so lucky to have you on this forum. No bullshit. You are the real deal.

Enjoy that guitar. Line up all the perfection you own and ENJOY them. You deserve it. You are a really good guy who shares things with people that not many others can (or will) share. Thanks buddy.

Great post. Even Greater Guitar.

Joe DeNisco
    Joe,
    Your comments are overwhelming and gracious. It is you who brings heartfelt joy and kindness to all in this forum - and Im honored to call you my friend.
    This forum has brought many years of fun and pleasure to my life - and I really enjoy all the friendships and stories.
    You know I've been blessed in life and don't like to brag about things - but I had to share the Borys with everyone - this guitar is something like I've never heard for a laminate. It has that Gibson solidity - but with a richness of tone not normally associated with a laminate. It's that good.
    I hope to see you in the not too distant future and show you this one - and of course The Godfather .