The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Lookingt at some straps

Suede around $48.00
    Levy's MSS3CP-BLK 2.5" Suede Leather Guitar/Bass Strap w/Cream Piping-Black

https://jet.com/product/Levys-MSS3CP-BLK-25-Suede-Leather-GuitarBass-Strap-withCream-Piping-Black/186f922481b748e6bb93b566b4d68a71

Leather: around $75.00
    MSS2-BLK Garment Leather Guitar Strap - Levy's Leathers

some reviews say the strap is too short

Any experience with these or similar?

Thx!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a few of those, they are definitely not short for me. I like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Lookingt at some straps

Suede around $48.00

Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Thx!

Unless those reviews specifically stated the product arrived with dimensions shorter than specified, I would be inclined to trust the length as shown on the manufacturer's description.

"3? Signature Series garment leather guitar strap with foam padding and garment leather backing. Adjustable from 37? to 51?. Also available in extra long (XL), which adds 12? to overall length."

User Info Menu

I got into Levy leather strap when I went back to playing bass about eight years ago and love them. And for bass I needed longer straps and they all worked out. If you have a strap that works for you measure it most the strap list how long they are so you'll be all set.

how about the suede rather than the leather ??

less $$$

User Info Menu

I have a 3 inches Levy Strap I bought in 1999 and its still holding quite well, with a 10 pounds Lester I needed something comfortable...
    Mine is leather and suede on top
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/attac...6&d=1464544832

Nothing bad to say about it, seems much more expensive than it used to be though
    Regarding length, unless someone is playing like Slash or holding their guitar like teenagers hold their pants between the knees, it should be fine
    Last edited by vinlander; 07-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Lookingt at some straps

Suede around $48.00

Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop

Thx!
    I have the leather version. It is plenty long enough for me.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Got about 20yrs out of my Levy, then switched to Italian straps after the Levys black strap kept turning my shirt black. Even after 20 yrs the dye kept leeching.
    I went for the Italia buy one get offer they run in the summer.
    I ordered w a black outer layer and tan inner layer.
    Beats the levy s in every way imo

Which Italian straps?

User Info Menu

My #1 strap for the last ten years has been a Levy's suede. No issues with dye-leaching here, and while it's shorter than most standard straps at full extension, it's perfect for me, whether the guitar is solid-body, acoustic, or semi-. I think it's a junior length, but maxed out it's perfect for me and my small frame. Tough, too -- the pegholes are still tight and I didn't need straplocks even with my SGs.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 07-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Which Italian straps?
    not italian...italia..out of socal

Guitar Straps | Leather Guitar Straps | Bass Straps – Italia Leather Straps

they run special sales often

well regarded

tho i like levys straps of canada very much..they are oem makers for many brands..with many different designs and materials to choose from..top company

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-06-2017 at 01:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    not italian...italia..out of socal

Guitar Straps | Leather Guitar Straps | Bass Straps – Italia Leather Straps

they run special sales often

well regarded

tho i like levys straps of canada very much..they are oem makers for many brands..with many different designs and materials to choose from..top company

cheers
    Expensive but with free international express shipping ..... (but reasonable pricing with the discount code IMO)
    Thanks neatomic!
    Last edited by JazzNote; 07-06-2017 at 03:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I have several Levy straps - both in leather and in suede. I have no problems with either type in terms of length.

Why do I have two types?

I use leather for my lighter instruments - strat and tele shapes, plus ES 175D, and 2 Martins.

I use the wide suede ones for heavier instruments so that it is more comfortable on the shoulder with the weight spread over a larger surface area - several ibanez artists and musicians, both ancient and modern, and also for one particular guitar, which whilst light(ish) tends to neck-dive without the broader suede strap.

Each and every one is fitted with Loxx strap-locks - which have never failed me

User Info Menu

Way overpriced! I prefer these, i 've have a couple for years, really sturdy and functional

Minotaur Guitar Straps - Thomann UK

User Info Menu

I have levy suede straps and really like them.

The only downside is the thickness of the leather sometimes doesn't easily fit into the strap button. Takes some working it to get in place. I have used a knife blade to open up the hole a little.

Strap lock buttons is a smart idea (that I ignore to my potential peril)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like their MSS80 model 2" padded leather - $50-$60 at Amazon depending on the color. Plenty long enough. The strap-button holes usually do have to be enlarged.

User Info Menu

I have a black Levy strap I got at a flea market. It's set as short as it can possibly be, which is -just- short enough for me

User Info Menu

Italia is having a sale now, almost half off, with free 2-day express shipping. I don't really need another strap, but for the price I'll have another soon.

User Info Menu

I have Levy leather straps for my bass, my solid body guitars, and for my archtops. I'm 6' tall and 275lbs. Even so, I don't find the straps to be too short, at all, for any of the uses I put them to.

Levy are comfortable, good looking, functional straps.

User Info Menu

Does anyone use the strap like Wes and have it tied to the headstock? I found neck diving to be a slight problem on the Super 400, but haven't tried it yet on my lighter 50's ES 175's. It feels more comfortable than around my neck and straight down. The guitar seems to hang freer, and swings with my body movements more naturally, like an upright bass player balances his instrument against his hip and leg.
    IMHO HTH YMMV ETC

Any thoughts as to the 2.5 vs the 4" straps......?

is this one a 4" strap?

lage-Lund.com
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 07-18-2017 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Four inches seems pretty wide to me. I have a 2.5" strap, and it's plenty wide for my needs. Unless you have a really, really heavy guitar, I think the 2.5" would be fine.

User Info Menu

3 Tapered Leather Guitar Strap

These are very nice and unbelievable affordable, highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Any thoughts as to the 2.5 vs the 4" straps......?

is this one a 4" strap?

lage-Lund.com
    The non padded 2.5 is certainly not as comfortable as the wider sizes, i only use it with my fairly light L7 which i sometimes pick up at home or use for teaching.
    I have two 4" straps, one is of very smooth and soft leather which feels good though it's wider than my preferred size of 3". The other 4" made of rather stiff leather just feels too wide to be comfortable, so i don't use it. The "main straps" which i use on a most archtops are padded Levy's 3", these are very comfortable. The padded Levy 2.5" i have is not as comfortable but still okay.

One issue is that certain wide straps need more space in the case. In some cases i had to experiment with rolling/folding it in order to find a practical way to place it
    Last edited by JazzNote; 07-21-2017 at 02:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I have 4"-wide Italia straps and for a narrow shouldered small man like myself, they are very comfortable but too wide. I make it look ridiculous . 3"-wide would have been better.

This maker makes good straps: Walker & Williams – Fine Leather Goods Since 1894
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-21-2017 at 04:38 AM.